How many times have you seen this? Bad math at the pool hall...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
To answer my own question, more then enough...

Player A and Player B are playing cheap sets and are generally friendly so they know the other isnt going to air barrel them so they normally settle up when they are done, but they keep track of how many set wins each has, accurately.

Let's they are only playing 20 dollar sets... After 5 sets player A wins 4 of them and player B quits. Then Player B see that he lost 4 sets and hands over 80 dollars... Not thinking about the 20 bucks he won back, just thinking about the 4 lost sets. Squaring up after each set, this mistake can't happen. Not saying you have to do that with a friend/someone you are friendly with but it also saves you the explanation when things are done when you don't give them as much as they were expecting.

Seen friends do this... Strangers do this... I've seen it where the guy winning the money doesn't realize the mistake. Seen it just last night too where 2 guys were playing 25 dollar sets and a guy won 2 of the 3 sets and the lower handed over 50.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with good friends sober and hard as nails. Everything is chalked up and paid up as it should be. Played with the same friends over a long drunken session and we generally get it right but if we don't it's no big deal. We are playing for money, that some might consider big and some small, but that's not really what we are playing for or why we are playing. Everything gets chalked up and paid up more or less and it all comes out I'm the wash anyway and nobody wins or loses.

Playing with strangers is a different ball game. If I'm playing for money I'm playing for money and it's chalked up and paid. Unless we are just playing for giggles anyway in which case it doesn't matter. If it's serious, I would never screw someone anyway - we are playing pool not robbing a bank. Likewise, I'd never play someone who doesn't miss at the level of pressure I can put on them, or if I do I quit as soon as.

What others do is of little concern. Most pool players, like most people in general, are below just above average intelligence.

In short, let them play how they want to play.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer my own question, more then enough...

Player A and Player B are playing cheap sets and are generally friendly so they know the other isnt going to air barrel them so they normally settle up when they are done, but they keep track of how many set wins each has, accurately.

Let's they are only playing 20 dollar sets... After 5 sets player A wins 4 of them and player B quits. Then Player B see that he lost 4 sets and hands over 80 dollars... Not thinking about the 20 bucks he won back, just thinking about the 4 lost sets. Squaring up after each set, this mistake can't happen. Not saying you have to do that with a friend/someone you are friendly with but it also saves you the explanation when things are done when you don't give them as much as they were expecting.

Seen friends do this... Strangers do this... I've seen it where the guy winning the money doesn't realize the mistake. Seen it just last night too where 2 guys were playing 25 dollar sets and a guy won 2 of the 3 sets and the lower handed over 50.
You can learn alot about someone's integrity in any life situation if they are given back too much change, and choose whether or not to immediately make the correction to the person who has made the mistake. We have all been in that situation.

How about players playing a tournament match race or a gambling session race that forget to mark up their game on the wire? Same situation. Some players will inform the player to mark up their game, some feel it's the winning player's responsibility to do it and if they forget, too bad for them. Again, it all comes down to integrity.

I'm guessing that person that fails to tell his opponent he/she forgot to mark up their game, or fails to correct them if they accidentally pay them off too much money at the end of the session and don't correct them, is also likely not to correct the clerk / cashier when they mistakenly give them back too much change.