Who are the people that claim pool is on the down hill slide?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No I didn't. I'm guessing the time you don't spend on here is reaching out to the other 99+%. :)

Glen I wish you luck, I just wish you were easier to cheer for.

Yes, I do a lot of sales calls, and have a lot of contacts around the world, as does Diamond. If I were to ever pay for advertising, AZB would not be my vehicle of choice, nothing against AZB, but repeatedly the same clientele does not represent new customers, seeing how I'd guess that less than 1% of the AZB members would have any interest in buying any kind of adhesive.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And there is no such thing as free viewing, someone is still paying even for that.

Well, yeah. I am currently using electricity and an internet provider I already paid for. Plus mileage on my laptop.

Try to get someone to pay an extra $ 4.99/month and you will see the difference in what is considered to be free and what is not :)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sure enough. But I would only use the cell phone when I am "mobile", right?

At home, I would normally use the "smart tv" without bothering with the cell phone. Or the computer already plugged into the (older) tv set. But that's me.

People less interested in pool won't even search for pool related stuff on any kind of device. At least that is my experience with quite a few people I have asked/recommended pool in the past couple of years.

You're in the wrong demographic buddy...LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well, yeah. I am currently using electricity and an internet provider I already paid for. Plus mileage on my laptop.

Try to get someone to pay an extra $ 4.99/month and you will see the difference in what is considered to be free and what is not :)

Let me explain it this way, I can drive around for a week, visit with 100 bar owners, talking to them about buying Diamond bar tables. At the end of that week, I may, or may not have sold 1 damn table. BUT in that week same week Diamond will have recieved 200 emails and 500 phone calls from potential buyers, and have sold 50 tables by the end of the week. The bottom line is you looking for the customers will almost never find them, but if you're offering something THEY want, they'll find you!!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. The world Pool championship is held in an antisemitic, misogynistic shithole, where nobody cares about pool. Nobody watches or has any interest. There is zero coverage by any Western media. Read up on how they treat Israeli or female athletes...

yeh it's almost as f***ed up as their upcoming hosting of the world cup of football. this tiny dictatorship is in the business of hijacking sport events and circumventing rules for team participation. the worst thing is that getting the WC back is going to be hard because money talks..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct in every way. Let’s just put it this way my son who is 21 invited his friends to our local pool hall. They said what is a pool hall? On my life they have never seen or heard of one.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Hell, they've never heard of a stick-shift car much less a poolhall. If its not on their phone it doesn't exist.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is the last time anyone watched ANYthing on espn? Months ago for me, on espn 3, but that was just a stream, and that's a hint to the future.

TV won't be in this formula, I'd bet...at least not espn kind of tv.

Jeff Livingston

If Pool is going to be successful on a national level and we get a tour back tv HAS to be in the formula. Your not going to get the advertising money you need with out it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I don't doubt that you have knowledge about the industry - as it exists right now. However, there is a difference in knowing the die-hard fans and the existing pool halls plus their requirements WRT tables and all vs. the impact pool has on the general public.

Sadly, I see a huge decline in interest in many areas that used to be highly popular over 20 or 30 years ago. Bowling, pinball and many other formerly popular activities come to mind. Most of which had their peaks in the 70's.

Even worse for formerly popular hobbies like stamp collecting, model railroading, scale model building and so on. People nowadays just can't and don't invest the time necessary for most of these. Video games and the Kardashians etc. seem to be the craze, if anything.

Using your hands and skills (mental or manual) don't really excite the younger generation. Pool is still better off than some of the aforementioned activities but having lived long enough I see the same trend. Unless the public can easily watch pool and watch it on tv - if only by mere accident - I don't see a revival. Maybe a major Hollywood movie might help a little but I don't see a new "Hustler/Color of Money" around the corner, either.

Be careful about such wide-sweeping generalizations. "Beware of your expectations for those have become your reality."

I read recently that the teenagers of today aren't into the tech stuff so much as their older "peers" are. They've lived it since birth.

And they say that they're not planning on going into lifelong debt so they can party at a "college" for 5 or 6 years. They're seeking out more hands on work.

Life goes in cycles.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
...Now here's the simple truth to my glue, every pool table manufacturer on this planet...is ALREADY spending MONEY buying glue to install their cushions and facings, or just the cushions in the case of snooker and billiard tables. They're ALREADY buying glue!

Every pool table mechanic on the planet is ALREADY spending money buying glue to recover bar tables with 1 piece slates...they're ALREADY BUYING GLUE!

EVERY Diamond pool table built since 2000 was designed to install the bed cloths, so who ever is recovering them is ALREADY buying glue, the money is ALREADY BEING SPENT!!

I'm not asking ONE person on this planet to send me money so I can build a fund to start the changes needed in this sport, NOT ONE PERSON! ...

It's better than that for the installers, based on your posts about how many staples are used now.

The labor costs for that stapling (and UNstapling, for sure) must be huge! Yuuuuuge, as it's said today.

That, right there, would make any installer run to your product.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
If Pool is going to be successful on a national level and we get a tour back tv HAS to be in the formula. Your not going to get the advertising money you need with out it.

TV isn't tv anymore, it's a whole mishmash of ways to view.

I have Sling, for example. It's a mix of streaming and broadcast programs and they've put it in a format that the viewer can't really tell any difference between the two. Just click on the remote and I'm watching something, that years ago, wouldn't have been profitable enough to broadcast to a general audience.

If the net has taught us anything, it's that no info source stays the same when the whole world is involved with it.

Jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member

National level and TV is a broken system, you MUST go international and internet to get todays players and viewers.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are correct in every way. Let’s just put it this way my son who is 21 invited his friends to our local pool hall. They said what is a pool hall? On my life they have never seen or heard of one.

21??...LOL one of my grand daughters just turned 24 on Halloween, my oldest daughter is 45....I'M old school...LOL

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 sons and one daughter. My 21 year old is my middle child. I was using it as an example. Glad it made you laugh out loud. How is that working for you by the way? Laughing out loud alone?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have 2 sons and one daughter. My 21 year old is my middle child. I was using it as an example. Glad it made you laugh out loud. How is that working for you by the way? Laughing out loud alone?

Alone? Why are you obsessing with my life, you're not happy with yours or something? As I told you in your PM, I'm not interested in you, i like women, I'm not into men, that's your thing, not mine!

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! You are a weird guy Glen!

Not obsessing. I am trying to tell you that you are not a very social person.

Let me tell you a little about your business plan. But, let me precursor it with the fact that I want you to succeed. I really do. Revolutionize the pool industry. You have my support. Every step of the way I will congratulate you on goals and a job well done.

In the halls I frequent the bar box players are generally scared as shit to play on a 9’ table. Now these are not opinions. They are facts. My primary hall as with most halls I have been into these days, have a mixture of tables. Almost 50/50. I enjoy playing a bar box. Do I consider it “serious” pool. Hmmmm....sorta, maybe. It doesn’t attract the same level of player. However they are fun. You play with fun people. Generally they don’t take it as serious as the players that are playing 9’ tables in tournaments or action matches or even slapping a few balls around with the pool buddies. I consider a bar box a a gateway drug into the bigger tables. My rooms have league nights the same nights as the tournaments. As well as the bigger nights like Friday and Saturday. I know for a fact that the league nights pay the entire overhead of such rooms. They don’t make much off the league itself. They make a majority of the money off the drinking. The second is the food.

I know the players in these rooms. Many of them. Not all. A couple transition to the big tables and occasionally play the tournaments. They generally don’t do well but they try. Reason being is because it takes a different type of focus to play a 9’ table well. The shots are much longer and you generally need a decent stroke to get around. On a 7’ table you don’t necessarily need a good stroke to win a game or enjoy yourself. Whereas the same players on a 9’ table is an exercise in frustration. You can take your wife, girlfriend or other casual friend and have them join you at the leagues. They can play, drink, eat and have some fun. That’s what they generally want. Wether it’s one night a week or several nights. Most don’t take it too serious. These are things that keep the rooms open. Very few make the jump to the big tables.

That’s problem #1 for the growth of pool as we know it. When I say as we know it I mean serious pool with action. Even if that action was a $1-$2 ring game. You can’t twist there arms hard enough. Not even on the 7’. That’s not what they are there for. I am there. I see it. I know it. That’s why I say you need to spend serious time in the rooms to get this.

The serious pool halls. The player rooms you won’t see 5” heels and a mini skirt playing pool. That’s because those rooms do not feel safe or appropriate for couples or more importantly a group of young girls. Pool is a social game!

Look at what Freezers has done. They cleaned the image up. Made it a place where you can enjoy yourself as a young adult while still promoting a serious game. Scott has the right idea. It will work him.

Now I have said it before and I will say it again. IT’S THE PLAYERS THAT ARE DETERMINING THE CURRENT STATE OF POOL!

Look at the match between Alex and Tony the past few days.

Now I am going to try and say this with as much respect as I can regarding this. I know it won’t come off correctly but, it will be real.

Tony’s attire looks like he will be slinging dope after the game.

Alex, with his tilted to the side hat and then on day 3 wearing the mask.

Now I respect and appreciate both of these players to the hilt! BUT, YOU WILL NEVER GET ANY NETWORK TO AIR THESE MATCHES! Unless you privatize it. Which is exactly why matches are being streamed these days! Now I am not saying go back to the tux days but who in hell is going to respect the game when this is the way it is presented to the viewing public? There isn’t a chance in hell that any legitimate entity will touch that with a 5000’ pole. Not going to happen. This doesn’t take into the account that the best matches and the ones most are interested in are matches that are gambled upon. Both purse and side bets. Pool has been that sort of game since it’s inception. But, times have changed. In order to bring real legitimacy to the sport you have to clean this image up.

I can only see this happening one way and one way only. That is to offer payouts so large that it requires the players themselves to change. I am not talking 40k payouts for first. That doesn’t tickle the audience you are trying to reach. I am talking $1,250,000.00 for first. Then you have something that the players will respect. You can dictate the dress code, the manor and sell that back to an ESPN or better yet a Billiards channel. And that my friend will not happen with glue money unless every time someone buys an iPad they also have to purchase a quart of RKC glue.

You don’t understand the production costs. They are huge. I know. I am in that business. Just to pull up a production facility to do as an example a 5 camera shoot (add another 1 or 2 wireless handheld cameras for interviews which is something people also want to see) and the labor etc for a 4K shoot is over a million. The only way you pay those types of production costs are with big name sponsors or some very, very deep pockets.

So I will tell you right now you are way, way out of your league and the expectations are from an old school perspective.

Times have changed and pool didn’t change with them. This is what you are left with. Anything you do with glue money is only to preserve its current state and maybe just maybe be a launching pad for something to happen in a decade or two if he sport survives long enough to make that transition as something that is marketable.

Ladies and Gentlemen, at this moment pool is in such bad shape we are really playing for the fun of it.

Read it and weep but this is the state of affairs and it’s the reality of the situation.

Now you want to do this. I get it and like I said I support it. However since you personally are trying to promote this then you have got to stop being such a dick. Not everyone has your knowledge of what the correct pocket angle should be on a 4 1/8 pocket. But, damn Glen cut everyone here some slack. They do try to add to this forum and maybe not all is useful or correct but they are trying. Even if wrong you have to start somewhere. I am no mechanic (I hate the term...sounds like someone with greasy hands working on my table) I work on my own table because if I screw it up then it’s only my time and the cost of materials. Whereas if I pay someone to do it it is all of the above and I would be upset and do it myself anyways. I think many feel that way. So STOP knocking everyone. If your business plan where to work and it got recognized by anyone that could make the dream we speak of happen and they looked at your posts I can assure you that the only way they would do it was if you were not involved. You are too course and aggressive and do not represent the type of individual that a serious entity would want to be involved with. It’s too volatile. I don’t have any skin in this game other thank love the game, want to see it be the best it can be and be a part of that in my small way.

You on the other hand need to clean up your act if you have any hopes of making this fly.

So to respond to you’re initial response....I am not obsessing in any way over you, what you are, what you do or don’t do. I am trying to drag you back into this planetary orbit so that you can stop abusing your colleagues and do something much more productive other than piss off 20 people per thread.

Now I am going to Vegas tomorrow to celebrate my sons 21st birthday (I rounded of his age by a week or so. Guess that makes me a liar) so don’t screw up my mojo. I want it to be a nice trip and hopefully with any luck come back with more than I went with.

Odds are already against me. I won’t be playing pool that’s for sure although I may swim in one weather permitting.

End of line

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Slicedbread....you really have no idea who I am, or what I'm about. You claim to know a LOT about me for someone just joining AZB LAST month, what was your banned screen names in the past? Don't sit on your side of the computer screen and pretend like you know me, or what my plans are, you have no clue, I can bet the farm on that. You, just like everyone else think pool is an American game, and we own to rights to it, that's your mistake along with everyone else who still believes that.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I used to have a friend high up in the Oakley organization (still my friend, just no longer with Oakley) and once inquired about sponsorship of pool, pool players, pool tournaments... The response I got made me feel like an idiot. I'm guessing these guys know more about sponsorship than a repackaged glue guy, but best of luck.

Oh, and I am one of those who think pool is on the downhill slide.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I used to have a friend high up in the Oakley organization (still my friend, just no longer with Oakley) and once inquired about sponsorship of pool, pool players, pool tournaments... The response I got made me feel like an idiot. I'm guessing these guys know more about sponsorship than a repackaged glue guy, but best of luck.

Oh, and I am one of those who think pool is on the downhill slide.

Don't know much about glue either!

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was an article posted a few years ago about how pool, and other sports, wanted to get into the summer Olympics. the poster instructed everyone to read the comments. The original article was posted on a pool site so the comments came from regular people outside of pool. Their view of pool was that it was just a bar game you can play while drunk and it shouldn't be in the Olympics. That is the view of pool that a lot of people have. If those same people were asked about getting golf in the Olympics, they wouldn't bat an eye. Pool still has an image problem but it seems like we just want to stay here and be the status quo.