digicue told you whats wrong...what did you do specifically to fix it ?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common sense. Anything that helps a player develop consistency, especially in cue delivery, is bound to help the player achieve a higher skill level.

That is an assumption.

Perfect results with the widget does not automatically guarantee higher runs. I ask again: where’s the proof?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common folks, a recording device is a much better tool, unless of course you dont know what to look for.

Then again, if you don't know what to look for you are dead in water without an experienced coach/player to advise ..... no matter what kind of device you buy.

What I do:

Shoot long stop shots. If CB stops DEAD, well.... I'm good to go. If it spins even a little, I go to my vid, analyze the shot in super-slow-motion and adjust and shoot drill again.

Rinse and repeat until all is good.

I do this once a week. I've done it so many times I almost always know what's wrong by watching the CB's actions. Then I go to vid and confirm and then back to drill.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Are you saying that if someone has a repeatedly perfect stroke that they won't play any better than they do with a stroke that is all over the map and rarely contacts the point they want to strike on the cue ball?

Jayson Shaw has an almost perfect repeatable stroke when using the digicue. His results with it have been posted in a different thread. We call him Eagle Eye but that just may be a result of his stroke and not necessarily his eyesight.

So let me ask you: where is the proof that once you achieve this idealized “perfect” stroke you will play better?

What evidence is out there that we can all see that if you can max out the doo-dad and achieve nerdvana that you will run more balls?

Lou Figueroa

Appears you are not intent on discussing the OP question. Nor have you purchased or used the product or feel the need to. If your intention is to be just negative so be it. if so this will be my last response as I do not but to be honest in my limited use of the item.

Some posters responses here are similar to the aiming post. OP asked a question posters responses are not directed to OP but their own negative tendency.

Most people would agree if one can consistently repeat one part of an activity then the next part likely can be achieved with some success. In a shorter period of time vs varying both parts.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an assumption.

Perfect results with the widget does not automatically guarantee higher runs. I ask again: where’s the proof?

Lou Figueroa

The only proof that I would buy is BIG numbers in a player that previously could not string even three or four racks.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an assumption.

Lou Figueroa

If you can achieve perfect results with it consistently, then you won't have higher runs. Your stroke is not what is holding you back.

99.9% of players have less than a perfect stroke on every shot. Repeatability is what separates the good players from the really good players. Where one or two less than ideal strokes is the difference in a match.

The digicue is for players who have less than perfect strokes and want to improve with consistency. Heck most people have no idea if they steer or anything else. Say someone steers 5 left consistently. If they can improve to 8 then their ball pocketing will improve.

Most players say they want to improve but are unwilling to spend money or actively work on their game. They say they do but they really don't. That is why most players reach a level and never get any better. Their game is about as good as it can with their faults.

You play well. Who knows, maybe your stroke is already perfect. Mine isn't and I would like to improve upon it. Not much else to say.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appears you are not intent on discussing the OP question. Nor have you purchased or used the product or feel the need to. If your intention is to be just negative so be it. if so this will be my last response as I do not but to be honest in my limited use of the item.

Some posters responses here are similar to the aiming post. OP asked a question posters responses are not directed to OP but their own negative tendency.

Most people would agree if one can consistently repeat one part of an activity then the next part likely can be achieved with some success. In a shorter period of time vs varying both parts.

I agree with the premise that it "may" help. But, I would still advise a recording device and instructor ANY day.

And yes, I've used one before.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It appears that I am participating in a discussion about a gizmo, responding to other posters, many of whom (to include you) are engaging in the logical fallacy called “begging the question.”

I was not aware that only positive comments from purchasers of said gizmo were allowed.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I am saying is: where’s the proof?

I have seen players with perfect form who cannot run out.

Lou Figueroa

How do you know it was "perfect"? I would need to see him stroke with the device. A beautiful golf driver swing might drive the golf ball 100 yards slicing to the right.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is an assumption.

Perfect results with the widget does not automatically guranter higher runs. I ask again: where’s the proof?

Lou Figueroa

I suppose there are a lot of assumptions with any learning process, especially in pool. So the same question of "proof" can be asked of PSR's, stance, bridge stability, etc... The proof is subjective. What matters is whether or not the player notices improvement. That's all the proof needed. With that said, I can honestly say say this little digicue device helped me reach a more consistent level of play. Sure, once a player reaches a certain skill level, improvement often comes in smaller increments. But it's still improvement, and the proof is noticeable.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears that I am participating in a discussion about a gizmo, responding to other posters, many of whom (to include you) are engaging in the logical fallacy called “begging the question.”

I was not aware that only positive comments from purchasers of said gizmo were allowed.

Lou Figueroa

Does this mean you have purchased the gizmo?

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Does record. Not video unfortunately. Videoing is very nice tool. Unfortunately getting the camera in the right spot to accurately assess is not easy. Finding someone to move around the table as one shoots is near impossible. LOL
I have had Scott video. Issue with that is all are set shots not really game speed or variable conditions.
Good yes and having a good instructor there is again great but expensive and for most likely do not have available locally to consistently work with.

It’s a tool that some may find helpful. IMO Bluetooth better than original I had tried of a friends and chose not to buy. Maybe future ones will be better or another product.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I can't see what negative posts do. Training aids are for people that want to get better. If your happy with your pool stroke, smile and navigate to the pool hall.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Perfect results with the widget does not automatically guarantee higher runs.

What a tiresome argument against every attempt to improve fundamentals in our game. "Efren has a pump stroke, Busty swerves, Allen Hopkins only drew the cue back an inch and jerked it forward, they all played better than the beginners working on their fundamentals, the beginners must be wasting their time".

Bullshit. The beginners want to do what they can to steepen their improvement curve and reach the highest level they can. No improvement is automatic, and nothing they do can be *proven* to get them to a higher level than they would have achieved doing something else.

But does smoothness, straightness, and consistency of stroke make it *easier* to improve than jerking and swerving? There's no proof, but what's MORE LIKELY to help the beginner improve, smooth and straight, or jerk and swerve? I won't answer for you, but my intuition tells me improvement will be greater with smooth and straight. Why are you invested in dissuading players from working toward that?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I am saying is: where’s the proof?

I have seen players with perfect form who cannot run out.

Lou Figueroa

I don't think there's double-blind research showing that improvement with the device results in more improvement than a control group. But there's solid logic that a straight stroke will result in more accurate cueing, and most pool players try to have a straight stroke because of that logic.

If you look at established pool players, and watch how they deliver the cue, and then watch beginners or otherwise crappy players, there's no question to me who has straighter strokes. And then once those beginners get better, stop miscuing as much, stop putting tons of unintended english on the ball, their strokes are also getting straighter. It's quite a stretch to think that's all a big coincidence.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you know it was "perfect"? I would need to see him stroke with the device. A beautiful golf driver swing might drive the golf ball 100 yards slicing to the right.

They look purdy at the table with a solid bridge and stance and deliver a nice smooth accelerating stroke but the ball dant always go into de pocket.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose there are a lot of assumptions with any learning process, especially in pool. So the same question of "proof" can be asked of PSR's, stance, bridge stability, etc... The proof is subjective. What matters is whether or not the player notices improvement. That's all the proof needed. With that said, I can honestly say say this little digicue device helped me reach a more consistent level of play. Sure, once a player reaches a certain skill level, improvement often comes in smaller increments. But it's still improvement, and the proof is noticeable.

Mazel tov.

Lou Figueroa

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Don’t need to know.

I have a very simple way of determining the quality of my stroke: does the ball go into the pocket and does the CB go where I want it to.

Lou Figueroa

Tap tap tap.

And, while we're at it... Tap tap tap.

( I would also add, and I'm sure Lou agrees: "The over-riding majority of the time." )

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does record. Not video unfortunately. Videoing is very nice tool. Unfortunately getting the camera in the right spot to accurately assess is not easy. Finding someone to move around the table as one shoots is near impossible. LOL
I have had Scott video. Issue with that is all are set shots not really game speed or variable conditions.
Good yes and having a good instructor there is again great but expensive and for most likely do not have available locally to consistently work with.

It’s a tool that some may find helpful. IMO Bluetooth better than original I had tried of a friends and chose not to buy. Maybe future ones will be better or another product.

True, some may not have qualified instructors/champ players in their areas very often. Also true that they are expensive. Also true that it's hard to get camera on correct angles.

But, once you do get the camera on the correct angle, it's a VERY POWERFUL training tool. Much more powerful than the Digicue ever has been. Again, only if one KNOWS what to look for. If not, well, like I said before "time for an instructor"..... or dont waste the money cause it just say what's off, not how to fix it. It doesn't even show you how, only what....and that what is very limited.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see what negative posts do. Training aids are for people that want to get better. If your happy with your pool stroke, smile and navigate to the pool hall.

I don’t see anything negative about asking logical questions.

Lou Figueroa