Custom Gold Crown Light

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way too Blue.
Your brain adjusts to make you think it is a good color but in reality that Color Temp is harsh on the eyes.

Compare “Daylight” to “Cool White” lamps at Home Depot.

Why do think offices use “Cool White” 3800k and not “Daylight” 5000k.

BTW...it is cheaper to manufacture 5000k LED’s than other temps.
That is why you see so many LED lamps in that Temp range.

There are many articles on how harmful cheap LED’s are.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-05-eyes-health-authority.html
https://www.wxyz.com/news/can-led-lights-damage-your-eyes-new-report-says-they-might
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/health/blue-light-led-health-effects-bn-trnd/index.html

I used (8) of these 5000K fluorescent bulbs in my last light fixture. Lighting was perfect.

Specs:

2600 Lumens (20,800 total)
90 CRI

One of the reasons I've leaned toward fluorescents was the lighting I was able to achieve with these bulbs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...tural-Daylight-5000K-10-Pack-479741/303811663

GreenDean

This looks awesome and perfect timing. I'm drafting up a table to match my recent anniversary acquisition. Cant wait to see more progress and thank you for sharing.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This looks awesome and perfect timing. I'm drafting up a table to match my recent anniversary acquisition. Cant wait to see more progress and thank you for sharing.

Thanks! This might give you some inspiration. I made this light to match my old AMF that was similar in design to the Anniversary. I had the corners rolled from 1/2" aluminum plate by a local metal shop. The rest was fabricated from 3/4" maple.

35801617025_10b2502dd9_c.jpg

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! This might give you some inspiration. I made this light to match my old AMF that was similar in design to the Anniversary. I had the corners rolled from 1/2" aluminum plate by a local metal shop. The rest was fabricated from 3/4" maple.

35801617025_10b2502dd9_c.jpg

Holy cow! That's some serious wood, and a beautiful light!! :bow-down:

GreenDean

are the corners on the AMF light at all structural or do they just cover the corners? They look great and I'm attempting to do something similar. Thanks and keep up the great work

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are the corners on the AMF light at all structural or do they just cover the corners? They look great and I'm attempting to do something similar. Thanks and keep up the great work

They were structural with studs to bolt the side pieces and tabs at the top to fasten to the top.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small Update...

Due to my recent work schedule, progress on the light project has been slow-go at best but I was able to get some work in on both lights (making one for AZB member pocket).

All sides are profiled. It's starting to resemble a Gold Crown! Next up is building the diffuser frame, quarter rounding the bottom edges of the side panels, profiling the corners to match the table aprons and finally fitting the plywood top. Crazy work schedule and Mosconi Cup attendance over the course of the next few weeks so I'm not certain how much more I'll be able to get done until 2nd week of December.

49070579848_3f19b1df15_c.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We cut and mocked up the diffuser frame pieces yesterday and should get them biscuited, glued and clamped today; then the same on the other fixture. After that, we'll route the bottom edges of the side panels and profile the corners; last will be the plywood top. We're making progress slowly but surely.

49203867961_399d8c022e_c.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Progress!

The diffuser frame has been mounted on both fixtures. Next up is routing the bottom edge of the sides and profiling the corners.

We made a couple of practice pieces to ensure our methods and dimensions would be acceptable. I'd rather screw up on a couple of scrap pieces than the actual fixture.

Here are the test pieces. I think they emulate the corners of the Gold Crown skirts nicely. It's hard to make out the definition on the bare wood but they are about as close as we are going to get it.

49344855823_f09fef565d_c.jpg

49345316041_94cc407d24_c.jpg

49345530772_381e8427e2_c.jpg

49345529862_7d4c97ea47_c.jpg

Once the method was tried and true on the test pieces, we marked and made the initial rough cuts on one of the fixtures. This is where we left off yesterday. We will resume sometime next week due to my work schedule.

49345529387_983137a6ac_c.jpg

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice work! I have a question: do you have a maximum weight target for this? It looks to me like it could be quite heavy.

jv

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice work! I have a question: do you have a maximum weight target for this? It looks to me like it could be quite heavy.

jv

Nope. It will be no heavier than the actual Brunswick light. Poplar is a pretty light hardwood and it will be hung from ceiling joists via 4 mounting points to distribute the weight.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. It will be no heavier than the actual Brunswick light. Poplar is a pretty light hardwood and it will be hung from ceiling joists via 4 mounting points to distribute the weight.

Thank you! I am not familiar with the actual Brunswick light. Do you know where I could view information about it?