9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ebay even has a 27 dollar sneaky pete
Its great, the one i got for the stepchild i love the grain in it

Its solid maple shaft
Unreal value

mickael57280

Registered
I hesitate between this two, on the pics the inlays looks like it's real wood but for the price I doubt, have any of you info if it's real wood or just decals?

And for the wrap one is irish linen the other one stacked leather, which one best for sweaty hands?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
LOL, this really made me laugh. He said $200. If you open that link the first thing you see is (THE FIRST)... $9,450 ! Call it at least $11,000 after shipping/tax/vat.

I'm not trying to pick on you but it really is kind of funny.

thats the joke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I understand. Also I like the red color on the one for $17,800 (but the price is goofy).

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Ralph Eckert playing with an interest configuration. One butt. Two shafts. One shaft was for playing. The second was for breaking and jumping. The butt broke down for jumping. Very efficient system.
Just remember that you must tell your opponent you are changing shafts ,or breaking down cue is considered conceding

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, I must be tired because I can't find the price of the shaft alone. I didn't know this existed, so thank you for that.

Edit: Sorry, found it. $158.39 for the LD shaft alone, in case anyone is wondering.

Seems a lot of pool cues and pall sent went up quite a bit lately, the shafts were like 120,130 back when I bought mine, and the cues are also 20-30 higher.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why LD shaft is so important ?

If you learn on a solid maple shaft and stay on it, you learn to compensate when using english no?

Yes but it takes a lot more to learn to do that. Why start with something that is harder to master with no upside? Only good thing about standard shafts is that you can use any house cue easier or if you borrow another standard shafted cue. The drawback is that unless you spend 20 hours a week on a table shooting you will not be as consistent with spin. And you loose nothing aside from not being able to shoot as well with a regular shaft. Of course the other side is if you learn to play with a standard shaft if you borrow someones LD shaft you just be in the same situation of missing more with spin. So considering that, it's the same thing, just with a longer learning curve.

Using one or the other won't make someone a better or worse player automatically, but there are benefits to the LD shafts and none really with standard shafts. I don't count someone being able to shoot with one better than the other a benefit at all, that's just practice with what you have and desire to learn with it. Actually there is a benefit to standard shafts, they jump much better than LD shafts if you need to use your playing cue to jump.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious, have you owned any higher end low deflection shafts amd how did they compare?
I'v read different opinions on how low deflection they actually are but havent hit with a hxt(hit a lot of regular players cues).

Some guy named Brandon on youtube has a billiard business selling cues, he does tons of reviews on various cues and shafts, he basically lists all the selling points and talks up the cues(no negative comments). He has many reviews of various hxt,purex cues,and does a little makeshift deflection test for his reviews(

If you watch, the deflection tests, they don't seem low deflection at all, or the deflection reduction is fairly minimal. But the tests are far from scientific.
There is a skinny version too, ?

Definitely a better value buying the whole cue and not just the shaft.

Yes I have played with and owned almost every shaft out there, from the REVO to the HXT to shafts on $60-100 cheap cues. I currently own a REVO, Mexx wx900, two OB2 shafts, two HXT shafts and three custom made LD shafts, and played with just about every shaft out there, tons of Predator shafts both on my cues and friends cues, played with a dozen other shafts during SBE and BCA trade show. I also own a lot of standard shafts to compare with, three Ned Morris shafts that went with my main cue, two McDermott shafts, two Lucasi standard shafts and a shaft from a Dale Perry cue which I have to say has a super sweet hit and puts some nice action on the cueball. But I am sure that is not the largest amount of different shafts people own on here LOL

I have both the skinny that is 11.75 mm and the standard but I had it brought down to 12.5. I like aiming with the lesser deflection shaft but like the hit feel of the larger shaft. The HXT shafts have more deflection but much better hit feel that many other LD shafts, especially the Predator ones.

For me to do a comparison of all the shafts I tried would be a several page document LOL

All I can say for shafts is "you can't just pick one and stop", you never know what your aiming and stroke will match with best at the end. Any suggestion any of us has is just the first step, there is almost 0 chance that anyone that has interest in learning and studying the game of pool or is passionate about it like we are will keep one shaft or one cue for the rest of their playing days. In fact I bet most of us swap shafts and cues several times a month, if not to fully play with then for the fun of trying something new.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Ralph Eckert playing with an interest configuration. One butt. Two shafts. One shaft was for playing. The second was for breaking and jumping. The butt broke down for jumping. Very efficient system.
Just remember that you must tell your opponent you are changing shafts ,or breaking down cue is considered conceding

Considering you can buy a well made butt of a cue to match any pin out there for about $100, having to swap shafts after every break is not efficient at all. The opposite of efficient actually. If you have two shafts and one is for breaking, you should have the second part of the stick to go with it. Just thinking of swapping shafts after each break is making me annoyed at the time spent and arm motions needed. It's like having two sets of tires, you drive on one on local streets then go change them when you get to a highway, then swap back when you get to a town again.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott make good price point Cues.

I have McDermotts and I like them.

However, mine are old and were made in the USA.

You can get an American-made custom Schmelke for about the same price you buy a Chinese-made production McDermott.

At that price point, I would take the Schmelke.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
im another for schmelke. I have a "custom", I ordered it off billiardswarehouse to my specs, so it was made fresh for me, I have a break shaft with it and use it to break, but Im considering making it my player, best $200 you can spend.

mickael57280

Registered
Honestly a Schmelke is what appeals me the most but since I'm in France the shipping cost with the customs would be something like 200/250 dollars.

Can I break with a LD shaft?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Honestly a Schmelke is what appeals me the most but since I'm in France the shipping cost with the customs would be something like 200/250 dollars.

Can I break with a LD shaft?

$200 for shipping? absolutely not. that's crazy. ive ordered stuff from Italy, germany and china, most I ever paid was $70 for expedited shipping from china for a case, which is a bulkier and heavier item.

and yes, you can break with an LD shaft. I love the way my playing cue breaks which is an LD much better than a break cue. I don't out of habit of using a break cue, but a house cue will break great.

Last edited: