lambros or richard black

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have known Richard since 1978 when I first had him make a cue for me and have talked to him numerous times since then from all over the world. I had him make me a second cue in 1981 when I lived in the Philippines.

I spoke with Richard about getting a shaft sometime last year.

He told me that he doesn't touch anything that is less than $5,000. His helper (for lack of a better word) does the stuff under $5000. He said the shaft would be the same as if HE made it. I'm not even sure Richard sees the stuff the other person makes.

yeah i read that to somewhere . i think in 2018 , the RB im looking at is 80ties model so im sure he made it . and his apprentice or whoever was working with him since 2014 or 15 . so i think im good, i dont buy anything i wont play with , im just not the personality of someone coming over and i say " check this out " and show some real expensive cues just sitting there.

i almost died of cancer few years ago , as for doctors im not suppose to be here now and i learned eff it !!!! got one life live it !!!! because one thing for sure none of us get out alive .

years ago kevin Varney and me met became friends i wanted him to make me special cue , did not give any info what i wanted , he made a extremely old school cue that is wrapless its zebrawood with BEM handle . i just cant play with it , never hit a ball . he had alot of problems and i know people here lost money and cues . but he did become a friend . and i was sad when he died .

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not try a Guido Orlandi Cue

Maybe you could try a Guido Orlandi Cue. They have GREAT feel & they are a Player's Best Friend. PLUS, it's guaranteed to please or your money Back. Ask around, Guido has a great reputation. You can get a player or a fancy player, it's your choice. I have a 4 point, with Cork Grip, finest cue I have ever owned & I've owned quite a few in 63 years.

Attachments

• Guido Fore.jpg
    Guido Fore.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Guido Butt.jpg
    Guido Butt.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 216
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
[snip] the RB im looking at is 80ties model so im sure he made it .[snip]

If it was made in the mid-late 1980s, Mike Wheeler was his apprentice. Even back then, Richard had the apprentice make some of the cheaper, less intricate cues. I knew Mike pretty well, but he moved to Shreveport in the early 1990s if I remember correctly.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did Mr Black build any of his cues lol . im now starting to wonder if i want one , for the coin they cost it should be made by him not helpers lol .

i may have to take bigger look at lambros , im not in any hurry or i might just wait and see how it goes daily , the cue was made in 88 has inlays etc points,

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you could try a Guido Orlandi Cue. They have GREAT feel & they are a Player's Best Friend. PLUS, it's guaranteed to please or your money Back. Ask around, Guido has a great reputation. You can get a player or a fancy player, it's your choice. I have a 4 point, with Cork Grip, finest cue I have ever owned & I've owned quite a few in 63 years.

ive looked online not found much , anywhere to buy his cues online ? or website ? or do you have to contact him first . im willing to look at anything ,

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can’t remember clearly, but Richard was on either a three month or six month waitlist at that time. I’d been by the shop several times and he was always working on a cue, so he made quite a few cues, probably the majority of them. I think he probably did most of the inlay work and had apprentices finish them. His cues hit great and are beautiful. Can’t go wrong with a Black cue.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
You've asked question that can not be answered. It totally depends on which Black cue you are talking about. He makes traditional cues that he reproduces. In that line of cues prices range from $1,800 to $15k.

And then he makes functional art cues, some of which have been reproduced and many that are made only once.

It really depends. I would suggest you educate yourself by looking over his website. I would try to find out what exact cues you are talking about.

http://www.blackcues.com/

i know nothing about these cues but some buddies both have a few of each .
i can get a deal on 1 of each , between them what would be the better cue ??

i know lambros are hard to come by and they are pretty much the same with inlays etc which i dont really care for . but if price is right so they say .

pick one lol . and tell me why:thumbup:

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its time to slowwwwwww it down and not be in a rush . so im going to do some homework .

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I just sold a 1983 Richard Black that was an outstanding player in my opinion.
The cue played just like the other 1983 Richard Black I let a friend use one day.
He tortured me using that cue.
Finally I took the cue from him and said "this is like getting shot with your own gun"

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know nothing about these cues but some buddies both have a few of each .
i can get a deal on 1 of each , between them what would be the better cue ??

i know lambros are hard to come by and they are pretty much the same with inlays etc which i dont really care for . but if price is right so they say .

pick one lol . and tell me why:thumbup:

That is easy. If you are playing with the cue (not a collector) I would not buy a Lambros. The proprietary joint is a deal breaker(my opinion). I bought one years ago and had to wait months for shaft work. Then Lambros stopped making Laminated style shafts(so I was not happy). I retired that cue in the closet. The last several years I have been playing with production cues(off the rack) and have never been happier. If you choose a conventional joint style the sky is the limit with aftermarket shaft choices as well. Just my two cents and both cue makers mentioned are very skilled. Cheers!

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a few Lambros cues over the years and love them. I never bought the ultra joint models as I like the after market shafts. I love his 3/8 x 10 pin.

Never owned a Richard Black.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there folks , here are some Orlandi Cues...

Attachments

• Guido Cue.jpg
    Guido Cue.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both Lambros I had played good, good finish, well made, same as couple dozen other cues I've had. None made balls for me on their own :) Try both, buy the one that calls out to you.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do your self a big favor and contact Bob Owen.

He is one of the finest cue-makers in the USA.
Bob is a gentleman, gracious & a man of his word.

Bob delivers cues on time & never disappoints in any way.
He purchased Shurtz Cues from Jack a couple yrs. ago.

IMO, his cue building is better than what you’re considering.