Paul Hubler Shaft Inserts

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if any other cuemaker besides Paul Hubler used nylon inserts in their shafts? I have a very old cue that I think is a Hubler but does not have a Hubler logo anywhere. It has 4 points, linen wrap, a Hoppe ring, and a nylon insert in the shaft.The finish is original with an aged patina. When I first saw it I thought it was a Rambow, but the nylon insert leads me to believe it is one of Paul's first cues, as I heard he did not mark his original cues in any way.
Any accurate information would be appreciated. The cue is presently in the shop getting another shaft made (with a nylon insert) by a cuemaker friend of mine, but when I get it back I will likely post some pics and try to find out what it is worth (via PM of course).

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Very early Meucci. Email me some photos, would love to see it. I messaged you on FB

billsey

Registered
I've had two Hueblers, both from the mid to late 70s, and neither had a logo and both had that type of nylon insert.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if any other cuemaker besides Paul Hubler used nylon inserts in their shafts? I have a very old cue that I think is a Hubler but does not have a Hubler logo anywhere. It has 4 points, linen wrap, a Hoppe ring, and a nylon insert in the shaft.The finish is original with an aged patina. When I first saw it I thought it was a Rambow, but the nylon insert leads me to believe it is one of Paul's first cues, as I heard he did not mark his original cues in any way.
Any accurate information would be appreciated. The cue is presently in the shop getting another shaft made (with a nylon insert) by a cuemaker friend of mine, but when I get it back I will likely post some pics and try to find out what it is worth (via PM of course).

Just curious, is the joint screw 5/16x18 which usually means .308x18. Or is it more like a .294x18.
I have an old one with a delrin joint that is .294x18.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious, is the joint screw 5/16x18 which usually means .308x18. Or is it more like a .294x18.
I have an old one with a delrin joint that is .294x18.

I measured some and the were around .308, both brass and steel. Interestingly one with a brass pin, thin veneers, and a delrin joint did measure.295.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not meaning to derail this but I sure wish I still had my 1973 Huebler.
Sold it for a Meucci which I still have. That nylon insert was a big reason to go to Muecci. Duh?
Come to think of it I wish I still had my earlier Adams.

Young, dumb, and broke.
Did I mention dumb?

BTW there was no Huebler mark on that cue.
Paul was a regular vendor at the pool hall I played at.
Only lived 70 miles or so from St. Louis

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I measured some and the were around .308, both brass and steel. Interestingly one with a brass pin, thin veneers, and a delrin joint did measure.295.

Nice. I haven't seen one in my shop yet with the .308. Mostly the .303.
The .294/.295 was a surprise to me.