Mizerak vs Murphy Wilmington DE

joeferris

It was about 47 years ago I was at Phillip Johnsons room on 8th & Orange St. in Wilmington DE. Steve was playing a very formable opponent in Cycero Murphy. Steve ran 112 balls and jawed a cross corner combination shot with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and one object ball in the middle of the table and the other object ball he was trying to pocket was near the second diamond. He was an unbelievable player. Also saw him play at one of Pete Sinklers tournaments at the Cue Corner in Downingtown PA. He was a pleasure to watch.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was about 47 years ago I was at Phillip Johnsons room on 8th & Orange St. in Wilmington DE. Steve was playing a very formable opponent in Cycero Murphy. Steve ran 112 balls and jawed a cross corner combination shot with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and one object ball in the middle of the table and the other object ball he was trying to pocket was near the second diamond. He was an unbelievable player. Also saw him play at one of Pete Sinklers tournaments at the Cue Corner in Downingtown PA. He was a pleasure to watch.
And the final score of the exhibition match? Right around that same time (1972-73), my Dad arranged for Steve, as a birthday present, to make the approximate 1 hour trek to Princeton, NJ to give me a 3 hour lesson on our 9-foot home table in the basement. I was 15 or 16 at the time and a decent self taught player for my age, with a high run I'm guessing around 28 - 2 full racks. He was accompanied by another guy, don't remember who. Most of the lesson was spent showing off his skills, and I don't recall benefitting nearly as much from that lesson as I learned a few years later getting a lesson from trick shot artist extraordinaire Paul Gerni, after an exhibition he gave at the university I was attending. It was still quite a memorable thrill for a 15/16 year old passionate pool player to host the world champion on my home table!