Cue advise with a difference?

richardhb

I'v never played pool of any kind, but played English snooker to a decent level many, many years ago. I'm after buying a pool cue for the English tables/game and I'm contemplating a maple shaft.
Years ago, I'd just by a decent cue, and find I'd change it a dozen time based on peoples opinions, my own failures to get along with a certain cue, other!. This would result in my game never really improving, or being sorry I did not try before buying, there was the cost factor too. In England most people use ash pool cues, I expect as the 3 ball billiard and snooker firms that was there bread and butter. But I'm thinking one it would nice tone different, and two maple may be better for playing with, have a bit more feel and life than ash. I'd value any thoughts by those that use maple currently, or anyone that has tried an ash cue.

Thanks all.

Geosnookery

In Canada the majority of Snooker cues were made by ‘Dufferin’. Nearly all maple. Both one and two piece cues.

I collect cues and ‘personally’ can’t tell the difference between ash and maple. It’s too secondary to other variables like the joint, taper, tip, etc. ‘If’ a difference, then it is minor.

Top snooker pros use ash cues but ‘I think’ this is mostly because they are nearly all custom made by John Parris who uses ash and a brass ferule.

I use an ash snooker cue for both Snooker and American pool. All wood joint. Still A-1 condition after well over a decade of use. However, I’ll use a maple snooker cue now and then just for variety. I can’t tell a difference but I’m also not Steve Hendry or the Rocket.

richardhb

In Canada the majority of Snooker cues were made by ‘Dufferin’. Nearly all maple. Both one and two piece cues.

I collect cues and ‘personally’ can’t tell the difference between ash and maple. It’s too secondary to other variables like the joint, taper, tip, etc. ‘If’ a difference, then it is minor.

Top snooker pros use ash cues but ‘I think’ this is mostly because they are nearly all custom made by John Parris who uses ash and a brass ferule.

I use an ash snooker cue for both Snooker and American pool. All wood joint. Still A-1 condition after well over a decade of use. However, I’ll use a maple snooker cue now and then just for variety. I can’t tell a difference but I’m also not Steve Hendry or the Rocket.

Thanks, that's both informative and interesting. I know through reading some people think maple has more feel, so your post intrigues me. Thanks again. Richard.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I've used both Maple and Ash. Maple being my preferred wood, mostly because I don't like the open grain feel of Ash. Performance wise, either one will do depending on your personal preference. Are you concentrating on English pool or would you try American pool as well? Are you in London?

richardhb

Sadly no, I'm in the Midlands, too far to travel these days. I'd love to play outright American pool all the time, but these is nothing in our area sadly. Thanks for the help, however. Richard.