Extra cue balls - Valley owners

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I have a set of Aramith Crown standards, and recently bought a set of Dynasphere Tungstens, but i use a magnetic cue ball with my valley, so this got me to wondering...

what do other Valley owners do with the extra cue balls?
they've got to pile up for those that replace the balls regularly...

Honestly I'm surprised Aramith doesn't offer a "magnetic" set.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just pull the cueball out of the main ball return, have the cueball return taped over so it doesn't get dusty. I have a purple logo duramith magnetic ball ordered though. I'm sure that'll play just fine with the dynaspheres I use.

Edit: And to answer your actual question, My table came with no coin mechanism, so I turned that into a storage drawer. That's where I keep all my odds and ends. Measles balls, chalk, tips, brush, shapers, coins. It all goes in there.

j0m4AL3

6OHgv63
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Aramith Crown standards, and recently bought a set of Dynasphere Tungstens, but i use a magnetic cue ball with my valley, so this got me to wondering...

what do other Valley owners do with the extra cue balls? they've got to pile up if you replace your balls regularly...

Honestly I'm surprised Aramith doesn't offer a "magnetic" set.
A 'magnetic set' ?? Not following you here. Also, in a home setting a set of balls will last a LONGGGG time. Don't know why anyone would need to 'regularly' replace balls.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
A 'magnetic set' ?? Not following you here. Also, in a home setting a set of balls will last a LONGGGG time. Don't know why anyone would need to 'regularly' replace balls.
as far as my aramith comment, I was talking in general.
Why wouldn't they offer a set that includes a magnetic CB? as an option or an upgrade, since they manufacture both.
it just seems like a no brainer.

I know not all home users replace their balls, the ones that came with my table are over 40 years old...
there are many different scenarios, and i mentioned just one.
Some people like to have different sets, or get a new set because a ball or two got damaged.
even having just the original set will give you one extra.

Example:
I brought my table home this month. it included 2 beat up mudballs, and i ended up purchasing 2 different sets of balls, and a magnetic ball, so i now have 5 cueballs (3 that are new).

Aside from use in lagging, i'm genuinely curious what other owners do with the extras.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as far as my aramith comment, I was talking in general.
Why wouldn't they offer a set that includes a magnetic CB? as an option or an upgrade, since they manufacture both.
it just seems like a no brainer.

I know not all home users replace their balls, the ones that came with my table are over 40 years old...
there are many different scenarios, and i mentioned just one.
Some people like to have different sets, or get a new set because a ball or two got damaged.
even having just the original set will give you one extra.

Example:
I brought my table home this month. it included 2 beat up mudballs, and i ended up purchasing 2 different sets of balls, and a magnetic ball, so i now have 5 cueballs (3 that are new).

Aside from use in lagging, i'm genuinely curious what other owners do with the extras.
I have an older valley. If I am not using a measles ball, I am using a red circle, and just get it out of the ball return with the rest of em.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1990 Valley that uses the magnetic cue ball but I converted my table to a automatic return so that the balls go straight to the collection area at the foot end of the table. In this way I can use whatever CB that I want. I don't use the magnetic CB anymore because the measles or Aramith Premium CB ends up with the rest of the balls.

That said, Aramith apparently does make a set with magnetic CB because the local bar box concessionaire has started replacing the older crap balls with a set that has the Aramith logo on the CB. Not sure where you would buy them as they aren't listed on the Aramith website, or at least I didn't see them.

Converting a Valley to auto return is pretty simple; just have to remove the metal gate that releases the balls.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
That said, Aramith apparently does make a set with magnetic CB because the local bar box concessionaire has started replacing the older crap balls with a set that has the Aramith logo on the CB. Not sure where you would buy them as they aren't listed on the Aramith website, or at least I didn't see them.
That's interesting. wonder if they worked some sort deal with a distributor?
i've never seen a set commercially that included one.

Converting a Valley to auto return is pretty simple; just have to remove the metal gate that releases the balls.
Honestly, i prefer the ball to return at the head end.

my table was "converted" many moons ago, and i'm currently working to "un-convert" it.
the sound of the balls releasing and all rolling down at once is my favorite thing about these tables.
takes me to my happy place.

All i need now is a new trap, and it will be functional again.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
I have a purple logo duramith magnetic ball ordered though. I'm sure that'll play just fine with the dynaspheres I use.
I wanted a purple, but my local shop only had greens, and i didn't want to wait for shipping.
it plays fine with my dynaspheres, but I have to clean it a lot.
chalk sticks to it so bad, it looks 20 years old after only a handful of games.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's interesting. wonder if they worked some sort deal with a distributor?
i've never seen a set commercially that included one.
Honestly, i prefer the ball to return at the head end.

my table was "converted" many moons ago, and i'm currently working to "un-convert" it.
the sound of the balls releasing and all rolling down at once is my favorite thing about these tables.
takes me to my happy place.

All i need now is a new trap, and it will be functional again.
Here's a place selling the sets...

https://monsterbreakbilliard.com/aramith-crown-standard-with-tournament-magnetic-cue-ball/

There are a number of different companies selling just the CB on Amazon.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You can order an Aramith magnetic ball with a purple Valley Cougar logo.
Shipping is about a week.

Attachments

• 20201202_101216.jpg
    20201202_101216.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 36