Anyone else think the inter state ivory ban is dumb?

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Just curious if any of the cue makers and cue buyers think this latest ban of ivory products is dumb? I personally don't care for ivory inlays, but I do prefer ivory ferrules and joints, flat faced to be specific. I believe it was a cue seller put it in good terms. If the ivory is purchased thru legal channels and is of preban age, it cuts down on the poaching aspect of ivory harvesting. I think it's just a dumb ban for state to state sales.

Last edited:

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
It D/N cut down on poaching, it perpetuates the demand for ivory. Establishing tracing protocols to verify age, source, etc. would be difficult to implement.
Well to "legally" possess ivory that has previously been confiscated from poachers or natural death. A person would've already had to go thru the correct protocol to get the legally confiscated ivory. Remember the whole Ivory Coast seizures from way back? The governing powers decided to set the rules and implementations of all that disgusting death those poachers practiced on millions of elephants. Instead of burning it in huge amounts, they distributed it to museums and other holding reserves to be used as supplement income for museums to the best of my knowledge. So, this "interstate" ban seems dumb to me. I totally understand the ban on "foriegn" sales in and out of this country perpetuating the poaching to continue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if any of the cue makers and cue buyers think this latest ban of ivory products is dumb? I personally don't care for ivory inlays, but I do prefer ivory ferrules and joints, flat faced to be specific. I believe it was Tom Watters of Recollection Cues put it in good terms. If the ivory is purchased thru legal channels and is of preban age, it cuts down on the poaching aspect of ivory harvesting. I think it's just a dumb ban for state to state sales.
Just use Elforyn if you like ivory.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I had a big ol plate of ribs last night. Deeeelicious!

I drove past some the farms around here and guess what? There are still plenty of pigs and cows left. Can anyone explain why?

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True it is old fashioned, but it does give a cue a distinct "hit" in my opinion.
Thanks for replying mj.
Hope that 'distinct hit' is worth the possible fines. Ernie at Gina almost went to prison 'cause of this. Look, a lot the pre-ban stuff is gone. Proving what one has or has sold is legal is nearly impossible. Get used to a new distinct hit. Piano players got used to 'a new feel'.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Let's see... endangered wild animal species vs. domesticated farm animals raised for food. Gee, I wonder what the difference could be...

pj <- good grief
chgo

Thanks for asking....

THE difference is one species is privately owned and the endandered species is communally owned. THAT was my point. good grief

Jeff Livingston