Operation: Bar Box Rescue

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
update: after a bit of trial and error, my table has been restored to Coin Operation, set for free play.
gxw7Zptl.jpg

Purchased a new ball trap directly from Valley, as the original went MIA many moons ago.
Had to do some tweaking, as the last ball, sometimes gets hung up.

the biggest challenge ended up being the coin mech.
I originally sourced a 5 coin model, but it was slightly too big, to fit in the stock opening.
I could've modified the coin door, but i wanted to keep this as close to original as possible.
took a bit to track down a 4 coin model, that wasn't way overpriced, completely trashed. or both...

9Fwyj4tl.jpg

Also i learned there are two different sized coin chute extensions

AV21e8Kl.jpg

The one on the left is for 1979 - later tables
The one on the right is for 1972-1978 tables
I bought my 1990 Valley 7 ft from a concessionaire that had quit the business. Coin op was MIA so I just drilled a golf ball to fit on the ball release arm. Got tired of that so I removed the ball release gate which turned it into a free return, so I can now use any CB I want and spot balls.

The coin op hole is still there but other than the cat sometimes crawling into it, no worries.

Nice job on finding the table. I had no idea they were rare. We had a 6 foot one just like this growing up. I didn't know anything about magnetic cue balls. I always just thought the cue ball was a little larger so that it would go to the end of the table/cue keeper thing...lol.

Ours was setup as free when we got it...can still remember the sounds of the balls dropping and then rolling down the metal flapper thing. Then how loud it was when you released them all....wonderful sound!

I am in the process of putting in a 7ft at my place, as that is all that would fit due to angled ceilings. Since a 6ft table is all I really knew most of my life, it should be fun. We played a ton of 8 ball on our 6ft table...some 9 ball. Cutthroat was always a ton of fun on the 6ft. We had it in a room that was only 11ft wide, so shots from the side were always fun.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What time does the band start playing? I will bring the Rum.
Ooooo if we do it on Friday night we could have a fish fry too!! Catfish and Bass, hush puppies, corn bread,coleslaw, beer, French fries, beans, sodas for the non-beer drinkers, bar box pool and new friends. THAT would be a hoot!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ooooo if we do it on Friday night we could have a fish fry too!! Catfish and Bass, hush puppies, corn bread,coleslaw, beer, French fries, beans, sodas for the non-beer drinkers, bar box pool and new friends. THAT would be a hoot!
People eat bass? I can bring hogfish.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lot of people eat Bass. They had a big tournament on Percy Priest Lake when I lived in Nashville in the late 60s and 70s. Haven’t had it in a long while, though. Snapper is abundant in Houston, and Redfish has finally made a comeback.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
right now you could go ice fishing across the street...
but unfortunately my house has a "no fish" rule. will have to prepare and eat it someplace else :LOL:

PoodlePuncher

Registered
Nice job on finding the table. I had no idea they were rare. We had a 6 foot one just like this growing up. I didn't know anything about magnetic cue balls. I always just thought the cue ball was a little larger so that it would go to the end of the table/cue keeper thing...lol.

Ours was setup as free when we got it...can still remember the sounds of the balls dropping and then rolling down the metal flapper thing. Then how loud it was when you released them all....wonderful sound!

I am in the process of putting in a 7ft at my place, as that is all that would fit due to angled ceilings. Since a 6ft table is all I really knew most of my life, it should be fun. We played a ton of 8 ball on our 6ft table...some 9 ball. Cutthroat was always a ton of fun on the 6ft. We had it in a room that was only 11ft wide, so shots from the side were always fun.
the valley tables support both magnetic and oversized "mudballs".
My buddy's dad (previous owner) swore up and down that there were no magnets in the table...
should've seen his face when i dropped a magnetic ball in, and it was separated correctly.

The sound of the balls vending is my favorite thing about these tables. and 100% why i wanted to restore that functionality.

while we were moving the table, i kept asking my buddy why never put the table in his house, and he said "there isn't room"
yesterday he told me he just bought a 7 foot valley. turns out, he does have the room. lol

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the valley tables support both magnetic and oversized "mudballs".
My buddy's dad (previous owner) swore up and down that there were no magnets in the table...
should've seen his face when i dropped a magnetic ball in, and it was separated correctly.

The sound of the balls vending is my favorite thing about these tables. and 100% why i wanted to restore that functionality.

while we were moving the table, i kept asking my buddy why never put the table in his house, and he said "there isn't room"
yesterday he told me he just bought a 7 foot valley. turns out, he does have the room. lol
I do love that sound too. When there is a good shooter on the table that plays fast the sound of the balls rolling in the table constantly is cool too.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
right now you could go ice fishing across the street...
but unfortunately my house has a "no fish" rule. will have to prepare and eat it someplace else :LOL:
What???? No fish rule? So you punch poodles and have a weak stomach? Let me guess, you’re in a Nickleback cover band too, right? I’m with you on the ice fishing though.

PoodlePuncher

Registered
What???? No fish rule? So you punch poodles and have a weak stomach? Let me guess, you’re in a Nickleback cover band too, right? I’m with you on the ice fishing though.
I can't handle the smell. and i have to live here...
Over the summer, i walked into a gas station where they were doing a fish fry...
I immediately ran back outside and vomited.

Also, the band is "Quarterback", because we're 5 times as good as the original, but only 25% as good as a good band :LOL:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't handle the smell. and i have to live here...
Over the summer, i walked into a gas station where they were doing a fish fry...
I immediately ran back outside and vomited.

Also, the band is "Quarterback", because we're 5 times as good as the original, but only 25% as good as a good band :LOL:
That's freaking hilarious. Not the fish thing, that sucks.