My new cue, halfway there

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci's don't get enough love as far as I'm concerned. I had an opportunity to buy a cue from a collection. I don't know if anyone ever knew of "Billiards and Bagels" in Gresham Oregon but the guy was one of the most knowledgeable pool professionals I've ever met.
He was winding down his business. Had been for years, in fact, and 25 or so years ago he had a sale.

His sale worked like this:
You go into the pool room.
Grab three cues and take them to a table.
Shoot for a bit with each cue and pick the one you shot best with.
Put that one in a rack.
Grab three more cues, and repeat.
When you had an amount of "good" cues in the rack, you rotated those until you found the cue you shot best with.

On the original tables were selections related to price. You could choose from the $200 table, $300 table, $500 table, or the expensive one. He would even let you shoot from the gallery of cues if you were serious. Those were $2000 and up.

Anyhow, I had always shot with my Adam AH-8 and considered it a good cue for me. It was always my go-to cue when I needed to make a shot.

However, I shot almost as good with the Meucci 97-11 when I was buying a new cue. Although I prefer a linen wrap, the smooth wrap of the 97-11 didn't take away from the shot. It was the right balance and weight at 19oz. It weighed within 1/4oz of my Adam.
I bought it. I also bought an O'Neil two cue case so I could keep them together.

This was almost 20 years ago.

Well, about 15 years ago (give or take), I had stupidly left the cues in my car and they were stolen.
Billiards and Bagels doesn't exist anymore and I lost the contact number for the guys daughter who kept me connected to his pool cue selection. I head he passed away a while back. I digress.

For the last 15 years I've looked at cues here and there. I bought a few and was never happy. I didn't get the satisfaction out of a different Adam and the Meucci's I've purchased didn't seem right. I know I could always buy a 97-11 for $450+ so I wasn't in a hurry.

BUT....

I found a NEW 97-11 on Ebay and put in my bid. I was the only one that bid and, well, for $350 it's mine!!
It's never been chalked and has the same maple shaft I had on my old one. I will want to eventually have a red or black dot shaft but hesitate since it will alter the shot, which is why I got the cue. I like a flexible shaft. It's part of how I shoot. My Adam was great because the shaft was worn and it was extra wiggly.

So, here are some pictures of the cue I just received a couple days ago. It's beautiful!

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    319 KB · Views: 183
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 196
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 192
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 184
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 194

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Meucci's don't get enough love as far as I'm concerned. I had an opportunity to buy a cue from a collection. I don't know if anyone ever knew of "Billiards and Bagels" in Gresham Oregon but the guy was one of the most knowledgeable pool professionals I've ever met.

His name was Jim Oswald. I bought a Schon cue from him back in the 80's and loved it. I bought the cue through the mail, so he never saw me in person. Some 20 years later I saw him at a cue show in Los Angeles. I walked up and told him my name, and he not only remembered me, he told me what cue I had bought and where he had shipped it too. He was a very cool guy.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cue- the 95 and 97 lines from Meucci were the last good ones IMO- $350 for a new 97-11 is an excellent price- I own two 95 line Meuccis- both are like new- one found at a tag sale and one in a pawn shop- total investment of $90 and we still have them today- found about 20 years ago- 95-17 and 95-19.

enjoy your new purchase!!

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Congrats, I should visit ebay more often, some cues go there that are insane and I always miss out.

I wonder how can someone buy a meucci in the 90s then leave it new until 2021? Is it possible that it isn't really new and he got a good cuemanship to refinish it?

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His name was Jim Oswald. I bought a Schon cue from him back in the 80's and loved it. I bought the cue through the mail, so he never saw me in person. Some 20 years later I saw him at a cue show in Los Angeles. I walked up and told him my name, and he not only remembered me, he told me what cue I had bought and where he had shipped it too. He was a very cool guy.
Yup, once you said the name, it rang the bell.
He really was that perfect in his recollection also. I went in with a friend two years after I bought the original 97-11 and he remembered me and the friend that was with me at the time. He even remembered that I had the Adam cue.
Jim was one of a kind. He never wanted to quit the business but his daughter wasn't able to keep the business going. I can't help but wonder what happened to all his cues. I've never seen a sale on them.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats, I should visit ebay more often, some cues go there that are insane and I always miss out.

I wonder how can someone buy a meucci in the 90s then leave it new until 2021? Is it possible that it isn't really new and he got a good cuemanship to refinish it?
It's hard to say if it's been redone by a perfectionist but it doesn't show any signs of refinishing and has no smell of refinishing compounds. The shaft is 100% unblemished and matches the cue perfectly, including the joint design.
The yellowing on the butt matches my other older cues so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the re-release either.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
It's hard to say if it's been redone by a perfectionist but it doesn't show any signs of refinishing and has no smell of refinishing compounds. The shaft is 100% unblemished and matches the cue perfectly, including the joint design.
The yellowing on the butt matches my other older cues so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the re-release either.
Oh no thats good man, grats on this one, I wasn't meaning the one you bought, but I was speaking in general about ebay.

No it is clear that yours is new and legit, nice catch.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was winding down his business. Had been for years, in fact, and 25 or so years ago he had a sale.

His sale worked like this:
You go into the pool room.
Grab three cues and take them to a table.
Shoot for a bit with each cue and pick the one you shot best with.
Put that one in a rack.
Grab three more cues, and repeat.
When you had an amount of "good" cues in the rack, you rotated those until you found the cue you shot best with.

On the original tables were selections related to price. You could choose from the $200 table, $300 table, $500 table, or the expensive one. He would even let you shoot from the gallery of cues if you were serious. Those were $2000 and up.

Anyhow, I had always shot with my Adam AH-8 and considered it a good cue for me. It was always my go-to cue when I needed to make a shot.

However, I shot almost as good with the Meucci 97-11 when I was buying a new cue. Although I prefer a linen wrap, the smooth wrap of the 97-11 didn't take away from the shot. It was the right balance and weight at 19oz. It weighed within 1/4oz of my Adam.
I bought it. I also bought an O'Neil two cue case so I could keep them together.

This was almost 20 years ago.

Well, about 15 years ago (give or take), I had stupidly left the cues in my car and they were stolen.
Billiards and Bagels doesn't exist anymore and I lost the contact number for the guys daughter who kept me connected to his pool cue selection. I head he passed away a while back. I digress.

For the last 15 years I've looked at cues here and there. I bought a few and was never happy. I didn't get the satisfaction out of a different Adam and the Meucci's I've purchased didn't seem right. I know I could always buy a 97-11 for $450+ so I wasn't in a hurry.

BUT....

I found a NEW 97-11 on Ebay and put in my bid. I was the only one that bid and, well, for $350 it's mine!!
It's never been chalked and has the same maple shaft I had on my old one. I will want to eventually have a red or black dot shaft but hesitate since it will alter the shot, which is why I got the cue. I like a flexible shaft. It's part of how I shoot. My Adam was great because the shaft was worn and it was extra wiggly.

So, here are some pictures of the cue I just received a couple days ago. It's beautiful!
Around 15 years ago, I would go to BnB every Friday night and pick Jim’s brain about cues. I only bought two cues from him, but it was always a great experience shooting pool there. He was definitely a character. It was a learning experience being able to shoot with anything that was in stock. It’s not everyday you find a store that had 30 or so different brands at your disposal.