GETTING A CARBON FIBER SHAFT SLICK

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same experience with Cuetec - remarkably slick, glove or not. Cleaned once or twice when new to get the carbon dust off, now just an occasional wipe with a dry cloth.
I agree. If your hands sweat much then you're probably going to have go the glove route with a CF shaft.

Seaspook

Has-Been
I find that the gel hand sanitizer leaves a residue that can be transferred to a shaft. Any oil on your hand from snacks shows up as well.

I shoot with “White Shark Sand” chalk, light colored chalk is required where I shoot And I like that it keeps the ferrule clean.
the white against the black is distracting. since covid, I use a small spray bottle of isopropy. Before that, I used the little alcohol shot wipes.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the same experience with Cuetec - remarkably slick, glove or not. Cleaned once or twice when new to get the carbon dust off, now just an occasional wipe with a dry cloth.
I cleaned a Cue Tec carbon fiber with shaft cleaner followed up with water on my lathe yesterday. Then waxed it. The customer was very pleased with the results.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cleaned a Cue Tec carbon fiber with shaft cleaner followed up with water on my lathe yesterday. Then waxed it. The customer was very pleased with the results.
CHRIS FROM YOUR RESPONCE TO ME IN THE ASK THE CUEMAKER FORUM
I USED RENAISANCE WAX ON MY SHAFT APPLIED WITH A TOWEL ( YOU RECOMMENDED DOING IT ON A LATHE)
I CLEANED IT FIRST WITH A REVO WIPE THEN THE REVO MICRO FIBER WIPE
NOW ITS SLICK AS CAN BE
I AM A HAPPY CAMPER
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
(y) (y) :) :)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with this, with one exception. A buddy bought a new CF for about $250 from a small-time dealer who makes them, and it wasn't as smooth. It was smooth, but it also had an almost tackiness.

I'm probably doing a dis-service to all small-time makers by not mentioning the specific makers name, but it escapes me at the moment. The bottom line is, it's tube itself. Wherever this dealer is sourcing them from, it's doesn't have the CF trademark glass-slipperiness. So there is some out there.
Most CF shafts haves a mold release, or "skin" on them, shortly after production. The Production companies, Predator, Cuetec, etc, clean/slick their shafts prior to sale. When you're buying your own tubes, that's likely not the case. I used a premium glass stove top cleaner on one that I had, with a premium microfiber towel, and I mean ever so slightly, buffed it out. It definitely made a difference. I will be experimenting with a ceramic coating in the near future. 😉

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Bother by blue chalk on your hands?
Never a problem when you use Beige chalk.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Note to the wise:: a surface with large numbers of timy bumps {like 1000 grit sand paper} is slicker than a surface with no bumps at all (glass) !.....