Opinion / buying a cue/shaft in Canada to set budget values

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seams like we have lot of buyers guides for cues on the US side. I was wondering if I could map out some ideas of cues per Canadian prices based on different budgets. I am always shopping for cues even when I have no intention of buying a cue. Yeah I'm weird, what can I say I like cues. Lot of Canadians don't have the capability to try before buy.

100 to 190
Action inlay, Griffin, Rage, Valhalla, Star, Lucky, Delta(Han's delta 5/16X14 cues), Dufferin

A good upgrade for the action inlay or any entry level to mid level cue would be to add a Summit LD shaft (12.5mm or 11.5mm) and could make them play as good as any Lucasi or dare I say it Predator. Always check if your lower cost cue shaft have been properly burnished, if not, burnish it if you know how, if you don't bring it to someone to properly burnish the shaft. This can affect the playability and feel more than you can possibly imagine. Sometime on very low cost cues the shaft are sometime fresh cut and require to be properly sealed and burnished. This can make all the difference.

200 to 350 price.
Elite cues, Raid splice, Delta(Mit cues line-up), Player/PureX, Poison, Cuetec/Scorpion, Falcon (more in Quebec)

350 to 480 price.
McDermott, Lucasi, Joss, Viking, Falcon (more in Quebec), Joss plain, J. Flowers ($300 US cue)

Falcon and Joss are very similar and in other provinces they are pretty much the same price scheme then go look more into Joss.

490 to 650 price.
McDermott, Viking, Lucasi, Joss, Pechauer

660 to 800 price
Predator Roadline, Mezz, Tiger, Pechauer, a possibility of new Canadian custom maker sneaky pete.

850 to 1200 price
Mezz, Predator, Pechauer, Schon, Custom sneaky pete (Josey, etc.) or entry level new Canadian custom maker(Merry widow).

1200 to 1500 price
Schon, Jacoby, Mezz, Pechauer, Start looking into a customs simple cues with nice woods(Merry widow) or more known Canadian/US custom makers

1500 to 2000 price
Schon, Jacoby, Pechauer, Mezz/Exceed or other custom cue makers all the way. Don't even look into production companies unless you wish something specific from a maker(hit/look).

2000 and up
Well the sky is the limit time to put some research on a mid to high level custom maker (which is available to take an order) and put a deposit and have a good follow up with. May take some time. Should not be your first cue more in the dream cue line or fourth cue purchase knowing what exactly you want.

As far as I am concern Predator is overpriced after the 1200 dollar since you can simply just buy the shaft and add to the any cue(lucasi,etc) even for many custom builders. In my opinion for the same price you would be better off with Schon, Mezz, Pechauer or Jacoby at a higher price range. They have better build quality. Predator are very good but at a certain price you get very little for your money especially when you consider the advent of carbon fiber spreading to all makers and soon to custom makers as well where the difference is so minor it matters little. Predator love to make your cue a billboard and put panthers all over it. You also have much greater resale value on a Schon, Mezz, Jacoby and a little less on Pechauer because they produce such a large variety of cues but the level of quality is very good for their entire line(as said from a distributor that sells many brands in a YouTube video). Also LD shaft variety is great and you have lot of options were the different between Predator and them is so minimum that it does not justify such a large cost increase.

PS. You can get carbon shafts or LD shaft for any cue and any joint.

LD shafts at price ranges

under 300.
Summit LD Shaft, Player HXT shaft, McDermott G-core (3/16X10)

under 350.
custom LD shaft/ kielwood shaft

under 450
Go to a custom carbon shaft by pass everything. The prices in Canada are inflated and are not worth it for any wood base predator or similar shaft. For the price of a 314, Z, etc, etc you can get a custom carbon and by-pass it all. If you still like wood go with a custom kielwood shaft.

Do I did find a US guy making custom carbon shafts for about 250 US. So all carbons seem way overpriced right now. It seems like a price correction is coming in the near future. Since you can get carbon fiber blanks on ebay for 100 to 120. I predict some Canadian custom makers will be coming out with carbon shaft options cheaper than production in the near future.

I may be wrong but I believe all carbon shafts come from two Asian sources since it seems like there are two type of blank variety. It is not surprising the companies are coming out with a carbon options almost all around the same time period. I doubt Predator would be giving the competitor the capability to make carbon shafts if they came up with the process themselves(patent).

Carbon don't ding, easy to clean and are not affected by change in humidity, temperature and will last pretty much forever BUT if dropped on a steel edge or a very hard surface you can crack them(especially if they are cold) or scratch them. If your Canadian I'm sure you have seen carbon fiber hockey sticks crack(light but can be brittle in the cold). PS. variable sized carbon fiber tube has been around a long time (bicycle handle bars) and they are more complex to make than a straight tapered tube. They sell for under 100$. Just to give you a idea how overprice carbon shafts are. Overtime cheaper alternatives will be coming out.

Cue and Case makes: Players/HXT, Lucasi, Predator butts and sections of the shafts, Poison, Dufferin, Rage, Cuetec

Cuestix makes: Action, Elite, Katana, Griffin, Summit, Spartan (trying to compete with high end cue and case), Scorpion, Outlaw, Voodoo, 5280

Asian sub-contractors.

KPS billiards(Taiwan) makes -Falcon, McDermott(asian lines, Star, Lucky), Bear, Orchid, Raid, Brunswick, part of Han's Delta(5/16X14 cues). Also involved in cloth, tables, decorative items.

Kao Kao makes -Han's Delta(Mit cues), Mit cues, Fury cues, Action lines, 5280, Elite, Katana, Cuetec, Scorpion, Summit, Eight ball mafia, outlaw, Athena, Griffin - Also a major wood supplier to everybody/atlas.

Hamson company -Players, Lucasi, Dufferin, Rage, Poison, Universal, Valhalla, Spartan, Predator butts and partial shafts. Believe to be the maker of uniloc components, radial, bullet joint.

Miki cues Japan makes Mezz and Exceed and a division company Adams cues that make Adam(part in Japan/part in China made by Kao Kao not sure), Balabushka series(Japan/China), Musashi(Japan).

US made Joss/Pechauer/Viking/McDermott/Schon/Meucci/Jacoby/OB/ Tiger /Predator only does final shaft construction in the US

** Meucci production in the past had quality control issues. Meucci custom made by Bob himself not so. Don't know current situation on this. So one must factor this in any decision especially at the price point of their cues. Also they urethane over any wrap section on their cues. So if you like the irish linen feel well that won't do for you.

Italian made Longoni

Work in progress. The more info the better you can make a decision on what to buy.

*****Any feedback is appreciated. Any info on Canadian custom makers that are still working in making cues(such as contact/prices ranges, etc) I would like to create a Canadian custom maker list that is up to date**** Current info is very sparse and not up to date.

Last edited:

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prather cues is now selling Carbon fiber blanks with foam, the ferrule inserts and the joint inserts. 1-4 blanks 95.00 US. The ferrule inserts 8.00$ US. The joint insert 8.00$. Not factoring labor, epoxy glue and any other joint inserts. Your looking at 111.00$ US approx. to make a carbon fiber shaft. Remember the only thing require is for the glue to cure. A shaft would require at most 45 minutes to 1 hour to made not accounting the glue drying process. So custom guys you want to make easy money offer custom carbon shafts at half the price of the major makers and you would still be making a good profit.

NorthernArbiter

Registered
No cues hold their value, but Predator cues hold their value best... They are #1 in the industry for a reason.

I prefer the Predator uniloc joint, which offers the most options in the industry. Some do prefer the radial joint, but it is a subtle difference. Predator will be releasing more of their cues in radial. Different joint construction (metal, phenolic, etc) will produce slight differences in the hit. Personally, I like the look of my simple P3 as much as I like the hit... But these are small differences.

If you have a local. Pool hall, once you start to play regularly you will meet others who in almost all cases would let you try their cue. Pool leagues are terrific sources of local knowledge too.

I agree with your post in general that the differences in various carbon shafts are tiny.... But again, if you wanted to try something new and resell, Predator is the choice to make.

The truth is that at about $400 cdn, the differences in playability above $400 are mostly cosmetic in the cue butt, or what they call low deflection shafts, which simply stated, makes aiming shots hit at an angle easier... But it's fractions... Fractions that only matter if you intend to get extremely serious about pool.

Again, your local pool hall or league is the best way to try cues before you buy... Assuming you aren't a total novice and careful, most players are willing to let you try. Now all you have to do is wait for social gathering restrictions to end due to Covid-19.

Be well.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
People flipping cues happen often. You can often get a deal on a good used cue when someone decides to change if you are a regular at a hall or know what to watch for on sites like kijiji. I found a older schon sl9 with ivory inlays, original pred shaft for 350 on kijiji. I had the wrap replaced and butt refinished (not forearm) 500 all in. It was a great cue and like new. Retails
new without ivory for 1000 or so.

Cue value - production cues do not hold their value unless they are limited runs. Predator might hold value more but i wouldnt ever pay more than 75% of their original value. Customs i have bought have only ever gone up in price.

Spot on billiards in gta or manning cues are good places with decent owners who can be trusted. I would recommend talking to Heath Manning if you are new the pool world and want a cue. He will help you find something in your price range and is a good guy to deal with. Justin at spot on does all my cue repair, tips and i even have two custom cues he made me.

Dufferin cues when they were made in canada can be excellent players. You can find unplayed, straight canadian dufferin cues for 75 or less regularly on kijiji. While i dont like the common chrome jointed ones you could potentially have the joints changed to what you like and have a great playing cue for 200. Old wood that has remained straight is worth keeping. One of My favorite hitting cue is an old dufferin with their glider joint. Find yourself a old canadian full splice made dufferin with a glider joint and you may never want another cue. Just be sure to change the ferrule and tip. They had cheap old platic from the 80s, 90s.

USA companies will still ship here. Sometimes it is a better deal. And if it is a usa cue maker they will ship as well. Duty is on the package declared value.

I do prefer my customs over production. I find the quality better, i like to support the cue makers, and i find they retain better value than production. It is an investment and not for everyone. I only recommend them if it is an interest and you have time to research the makers and market. A lot of shady people trying to make a buck on used custom market. I try to deal with the cue makers directly when i can.

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People flipping cues happen often. You can often get a deal on a good used cue when someone decides to change if you are a regular at a hall or know what to watch for on sites like kijiji. I found a older schon sl9 with ivory inlays, original pred shaft for 350 on kijiji. I had the wrap replaced and butt refinished (not forearm) 500 all in. It was a great cue and like new. Retails
new without ivory for 1000 or so.

Cue value - production cues do not hold their value unless they are limited runs. Predator might hold value more but i wouldnt ever pay more than 75% of their original value. Customs i have bought have only ever gone up in price.

Spot on billiards in gta or manning cues are good places with decent owners who can be trusted. I would recommend talking to Heath Manning if you are new the pool world and want a cue. He will help you find something in your price range and is a good guy to deal with. Justin at spot on does all my cue repair, tips and i even have two custom cues he made me.

Dufferin cues when they were made in canada can be excellent players. You can find unplayed, straight canadian dufferin cues for 75 or less regularly on kijiji. While i dont like the common chrome jointed ones you could potentially have the joints changed to what you like and have a great playing cue for 200. Old wood that has remained straight is worth keeping. One of My favorite hitting cue is an old dufferin with their glider joint. Find yourself a old canadian full splice made dufferin with a glider joint and you may never want another cue. Just be sure to change the ferrule and tip. They had cheap old platic from the 80s, 90s.

USA companies will still ship here. Sometimes it is a better deal. And if it is a usa cue maker they will ship as well. Duty is on the package declared value.

I do prefer my customs over production. I find the quality better, i like to support the cue makers, and i find they retain better value than production. It is an investment and not for everyone. I only recommend them if it is an interest and you have time to research the makers and market. A lot of shady people trying to make a buck on used custom market. I try to deal with the cue makers directly when i can.
I have a old Dufferin Glider joint Cliff Thorburn signature line pool cue(not Snooker)(late 80's early 90's) (woods cocobolo, ebony, birds eye maple. It was a limited production it had a signature on it of Cliff Thorburn (not real) but of course they put it right on top of finish so it worn off. The cue had some finishing problems with the joint sent it to Dufferin they tried to fix it it was still messed up so I bought a Falcon not too long after. I held onto it for years keeping it in mint condition. Then I found a custom guy had it custom converted he changed the pin to a 5/16X14 pin change the joint to a white phenolic and the butt as well. Cored the butt to stabilize the wood, add a balance bolt, put a weight bolt and change the bumper to a falcon style bumper. The cue was full splice but I it was strange because the point had different heights producing like a sideway wave (one point very short, the next one taller, then next one taller and so forth). Still have the original shaft but as you know the glider joint shaft will still work with a regular 5/16X14 joint pin. Change the pin so I can put a custom LD shaft on it, or a falcon shaft. I wished I had it refinish at the time but didn't have the money to redo the finish at the time. Unfortunately the Dufferin identifier was lost when the conversion was done. I have not seen a Dufferin like it in over 20 years.

Last edited:

Moraman

What are the best Canadian online retailers? And which ones from the US have reasonable shipping charges?

TrxR

For Bradley's is a Canadian retailer. I can't remember what brands they carry. They aren't pool specific.

Seyberts or Pooldawg both ship to Canada.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Manningcues is canadian but online store is US. You can convert to canadian dollars, but there is import fees. Depending on where you are, there could be local. Spot on billiards has an online store and store front south of Toronto. I get my work done there.

If you are looking for used, any hall usually has someone selling something. Kijiji has some good finds sometimes.

Depends on if new or used and your price range.

CarromBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own and operate Cueistic custom cues by rod Phillips as well, Email me for any custom orders you might be interested in, I had my website up for over 2 years but Go Daddy gave me the runaround so I'm currently rebuilding it. I can do CF shafts, torrified shafts, etc, and custom cues. Fully cored, and built to your specs. Thanks cueistic@gmail.com