70's DOMESTIC CUES

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Novel idea. Send a video to a cuemaker aka 'The Cue Nazi'. "You don't play good enough. NO cue for you!!" ;)

I love reusing memes

574t5a.jpg

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
When i first started you could buy Meucci-McD-JossWest at a local spot. Richard Black was always a custom and you called him. Stroud made a line of about 10-12 cues or you could call for a custom. Billy lived here in Tulsa for 4yrs and he had a big following so you saw a lot of JW's here.
Think it was very late 70's maybe early 80's the now wife bought my custom Texas based Robert Weir cue from Suzi Cues pool hall here in Ohio. 😅

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
george delivered to me a cue at the golden cue in queens. he liked me and i gave him some money and said make me a cue. soon i got it. and still got it. one of the few leather wraps he ever did.

and palmer did do hoppe rings as i would take titlest house cues down to him and make me cues like rambow made. some with the bigger butt sleeve and some with a with and a black ring and a white ring just like the rambow.
my design became his model number 4 in his first catalog i believer or could have been second catalog.
i would buy the cues from pool rooms for between 5 and 8 bucks. i supplied the cue he supplied everything else and the shaft for 20 bucks. this was gene balner not his son.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a little different. Sam at the counter was a friend of George's. If you wanted a cue, you asked Sam for a cue.

If George felt you were a competent enough player, you got a cue.

They weren't custom orders, but you had to hit a high watermark of competency to receive one. A real badge of honor.
Yes I believe this is true in George's later years as this guy he brought the cue to at the pool hall was one of the best around at the time.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
george delivered to me a cue at the golden cue in queens. he liked me and i gave him some money and said make me a cue. soon i got it. and still got it. one of the few leather wraps he ever did.

Um, one of the few? He did a ton of leather wraps

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing his cues in rooms. I had a little brochure i sent for when i bought mine. Wish i still had that cue.

Yep, I grew up in Omaha, there were a few floating around my area. I still own the one I bought in the early 90's and have acquired 4 more since then ;) I sold one to a buddy in 1994 (it was identical to the one I had at the time) and he still uses it as his daily player. I currently use a recently purchased Huebler as my daily player and have two butts I'm building break shafts for. You might say I'm a Huebler fan ;)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I grew up in Omaha, there were a few floating around my area. I still own the one I bought in the early 90's and have acquired 4 more since then ;) I sold one to a buddy in 1994 (it was identical to the one I had at the time) and he still uses it as his daily player. I currently use a recently purchased Huebler as my daily player and have two butts I'm building break shafts for. You might say I'm a Huebler fan ;)
I will always miss my first decent cue purchase- it was a Huebler and it played great - at 21 ounces at bit heavy LOL and I migrated to lighter cues, but the Mexican Rosewood on that cue was the nicest I have even seen to this day - cue ended up in Europe somewhere. I bought a model H-A recently and it also plays great - had to get one again!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend had one. Played really good. Those old Japan-made ADAM cues were well made.
My early 70s Palmer Model 12 Limited has an Adam forearm, from the early Japan era, it is as solid a player as one can imagine - I compare the hit on that cue to my Scruggs, with the main difference being that the Scruggs cue butt has a better overall balance in the construction - Third Catalog Palmers are a bit lacking in cue balance compared to some later higher end cues - but they are very solid hitters.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
when gene retired palmer cues went steadily downhill as they tried to make it a production cue.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Not a scientific sample, but two DC area pool rooms I visited in the early 70s did business with Palmer cues. You could order a cue through the pool room. They were Golden Cue in Bladensburg, Maryland, and Gentlemens Cue, in Reisterstown, part of Baltimore. I suspect they added a bit for doing a cue order for you, but if you didn't know anything else, it was an option.

All the best,
WW

collins22

In the Philly area there was a a pharmacist named Doc Frye.
I believe they were about $120 with 2 shafts.
Late 60's, early 70's.
Mizerak played with a Doc Frye for a while.

In the Philly area there was a a pharmacist named Doc Frye.
I believe they were about $120 with 2 shafts.
Late 60's, early 70's.
Mizerak played with a Doc Frye for a while.
I have heard and read a few stories about Mizerak having and using a custom cue made by Doc Frye(Feasterville/Phila Pa). One guy said he was at Doc's shop and met Mizerak during the time (1970???) that cue was being built(or maybe picked up ). Has anyone seen Mizeraks Doc Frye cue(s)? Are their any pics with Mizerak using them? I wonder who has it now?

Last edited: