Why do pros do bar box tournaments? Serious reply's only

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have seen some videos online of Shane and Earl etc doing bar box tournaments. I am wondering why they do these? Is it a they need the money thing? Is it cause they are contractually obligated to? Is it because they want to? I mean I do not like bar boxes and I am assuming pro's do not ether. If I was a pro I would consider bar boxes beneath me. So I was wondering. Please only post serious reply's I am legit asking. Non serious reply's will be reported.

Thanks

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As you suggest, it's all about the money. It's also about sponsorship. If your sponsor produces a pool tournament that's on barboxes, you are likely expected to play.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you suggest, it's all about the money. It's also about sponsorship. If your sponsor produces a pool tournament that's on barboxes, you are likely expected to play.
Thanks. Do you know of any times Earl has bad mouthed bar boxes?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I don't.

This is the only one I have seen where earl says anything close to bad mouthing a bar box. He said he did not want to be there and that is was an invite and money and that he never thought he would get excited over a bar box tournament. Also he beat this guy 7 to 2. I have never heard of his opponent is he any good?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have seen some videos online of Shane and Earl etc doing bar box tournaments. I am wondering why they do these? Is it a they need the money thing? Is it cause they are contractually obligated to? Is it because they want to? I mean I do not like bar boxes and I am assuming pro's do not ether. If I was a pro I would consider bar boxes beneath me. So I was wondering. Please only post serious reply's I am legit asking. Non serious reply's will be reported.

Thanks
$$$$$$$$
A pro pool player is a tough gig to make a good living. They follow the $$ where the best $$ paying tournaments are, and right now a number of them just happen to be held on bar tables.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is the only one I have seen where earl says anything close to bad mouthing a bar box. He said he did not want to be there and that is was an invite and money and that he never thought he would get excited over a bar box tournament. Also he beat this guy 7 to 2. I have never heard of his opponent is he any good?
Matt's a very capable regional player. I think he's from Maryland or near there. I'd take a wild guess that his Fargo is around 700.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thanks
They do it because it's pool and they are pool players. One of the most fantastic things about the game of pool that it's not just one thing. There's dozens of different games that can be played on the table from nine ball to straight pool to cribbage to bank pool you name it.

There's numerous size tables you can play on from a 10-ft to a 9-ft turn oversized 4x8 4x8 are table. When I was playing pool I played on anything I didn't really care.

When I was playing in Europe I played snooker and billiards. I remember being in Italy playing some crazy game on a 6x12 with little bowling pins in the middle.

They were teaching me the game as we went along and I managed to beat them at it. I love every game on a pool table and every table that can be played on.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO Most Pool Pros follow money, if it’s at a place with only a Bar Box tournaments, beat not competing a particular weekend.

Few Pro players make what most other sports bottom athletes make.

PGA Pro who is not finishing in top every weekend. Most Touring Pro Golfer do ok.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
Are you braindead?? Wait, don't answer that. Non serious replies??????????? How about non serious threads????????????? Need to report yourself.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-ft tables probably outnumber 9-footers in the US 10 to 1. And tournaments run on 7-footers probably outnumber tournaments on 9-footers 5-1. If they want to play in tournaments, they’re going to play on some 7-footers.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Are you braindead?? Wait, don't answer that. Non serious replies??????????? How about non serious threads????????????? Need to report yourself.

We use to say no stupid questions, just dumb mistakes because people were embarrassed to ask a question.