Gold crown 1 finished once

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have this table in like new condition. Cleaned it up today. Bought it from a guy who said it’s been in the basement forever. Never moved. Can I freshen up the paint or do I have to sand it down? I do have a second gc1 already sanded to wood and everything prepped and ready for paint. The blue and the legs and skirts I think they are. Also. I built a light similar to the Brunswick light, can I use this light somehow or should I go for those flat panels out there?
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
00j0j_l17uuzbCwbuz_0c109R_600x450.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno about the table, but in my shop it is a waste of time working with those old ballasts & florescent lights. I replace them as they fail with LED products. Big rough generalization, but about the same price as rebuilding an old one and better light.

Now if you are conversant with rebuilding the d**n things and have a stash of ballasts and tubes, go for it.
If you are close to Elmira for pick-up, I'll even donate a partial contractor box of (T-18?) tubes. :)

Beautiful table, BTW.

smt

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
So I have this table in like new condition. Cleaned it up today. Bought it from a guy who said it’s been in the basement forever. Never moved. Can I freshen up the paint or do I have to sand it down? I do have a second gc1 already sanded to wood and everything prepped and ready for paint. The blue and the legs and skirts I think they are. Also. I built a light similar to the Brunswick light, can I use this light somehow or should I go for those flat panels out there?View attachment 597988View attachment 597989View attachment 597990View attachment 597991View attachment 597992View attachment 597993

Wipe everything down first with some heavy duty cleaner. It looks like it has a heavy coating of nicotine.

You can get away with a light sanding, just to knock the sheen off. Then, apply fresh paint. If you sand to bare wood, you will need to prime it before painting. Also be careful of the paint that you use. If you decide to spray it with a lacquer, you'll want to use several light dust coats, to avoid lifting the underlying paint.

I'd dump the light, in favor of LED, for the exact reasons that SMT mentioned above.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have this table in like new condition. Cleaned it up today. Bought it from a guy who said it’s been in the basement forever. Never moved. Can I freshen up the paint or do I have to sand it down? I do have a second gc1 already sanded to wood and everything prepped and ready for paint. The blue and the legs and skirts I think they are. Also. I built a light similar to the Brunswick light, can I use this light somehow or should I go for those flat panels out there?View attachment 597988View attachment 597989View attachment 597990View attachment 597991View attachment 597992View attachment 597993

Please just wash it (with appropriate cleaners) and wax it (Bowling Alley Wax) and continue to preserve its absolute originality. Congratulations!

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please just wash it (with appropriate cleaners) and wax it (Bowling Alley Wax) and continue to preserve its absolute originality. Congratulations!
I like the way that sounds. its funny because I stripped one down to wood to paint it this color and then this came up on craigslist. I couldn't pass.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the Wise Old Man said, "It's only original once." Great table! I'm envious.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just opinions from some people that probably know more. As I was refinishing my first gc I replaced the drop pocket. They feel like rubber of some sort. The the second was is like that hard plastic but two are split I think. I post a pic. Should I keep the plastic ones or rubber? Is one better than the other?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have (had) a pristine GCI, Im guessing it was as close to a new 1969 table as any in the USA. I sanded the paint and stained it and repainted some of it. If I really wanted the original look I saved some areas with the original paint and Im sure I could simply sand it and repaint it in original colors to make it look like the table I originally bought that came from the local Brunswick dealer.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have (had) a pristine GCI, Im guessing it was as close to a new 1969 table as any in the USA. I sanded the paint and stained it and repainted some of it. If I really wanted the original look I saved some areas with the original paint and Im sure I could simply sand it and repaint it in original colors to make it look like the table I originally bought that came from the local Brunswick dealer.
I like the tangerine GC1’s