Pechauer Black Ice break shaft

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Saw one of these at the pool hall today - maple shaft impregnated with something black that makes it dense (6+ oz) and smooth like CF. I didn’t hit with it, but just picking the cue up I could feel the forward weight instantly.

Any body tried one?

pj
chgo

A918F1E3-640D-4556-96A0-F533DFF2254F.jpeg
E4F27FF4-80DC-493E-AA6E-5D515B58BED5.jpeg

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw one of these at the pool hall today - maple shaft impregnated with something black that makes it dense (6+ oz) and smooth like CF. I didn’t hit with it, but just picking the cue up I could feel the forward weight instantly.

Any body tried one?

pj
chgo

View attachment 600421View attachment 600422
I have the Pechauer Naked Break Cue with this Black Ice Break Shaft.
Look back over my posts and look for for one with "Pechauer" in the title to see how I got the cue.
I ordered it at 18.5, the shaft does weight exactly 6.5 oz. Very forward balanced but not clumsily so.
It is still smooth as glass and I've done nothing to it, just wipe it with a cloth after play as I've always done with all my cues.
It came with their Gold hard tip and it is hard. To see how hard I put my Willards and my Brads to it for just a turn or so to gauge hardness.
It hits like Mike Tyson and numerous times I just finished out the rack with it. I could use spin and draw but only to an extent. I doubt I miscued 3 or 4 times in playing 25 full racks with it, I just purposely stayed close to center.
BTW I'm 67 years old & just an average player, 6/7 in APA, so this is just an average Joe Blow review.
I highly recommend it and Pechauer in general.
PS ~ After I got it & played a few games I ordered from Pechauer their Carbon Fiber extension for it. It brings the balance back a little
to shot long shots without a bridge. I have no extension for my Rick Howard and have the utmost confidence that this cue will not miscue if I do my part.
Deal with Scott if you happen to choose to buy. Here's an email from him. Good luck!
Please find my other post on this, the way Pechauer Customer Service is is over the top.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried it, did not like the balance. But that is all personal preference. The hit feel was a bit odd but that may be due to how the weight is.
If you want to generate power without using much arm motion this would help a lot. For me, it was throwing off my timing on the break. I think for a lower level player, especially one that uses a rail break, this shaft would be great since they can add more power with the same swing.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...this shaft would be great since they can add more power with the same swing.
With the same swing speed, yes. But swinging a heavier cue at the same speed requires more arm muscle, which could affect the stroke's straightness.

pj <- energy in = energy out
chgo

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
With the same swing speed, yes. But swinging a heavier cue at the same speed requires more arm muscle, which could affect the stroke's straightness.

chgo
A lot of people like the heavy battering rams. I know one guy that actually has a 28oz cue. I thought I liked it heavier for a while too, until I got the Black Ice. I pulled the weight out of the butt and my break became consistently better than it was and easier.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A lot of people like the heavy battering rams.
I think it mostly depends on a person's musculature - some can naturally swing a heavier cue easier/straighter than others. But if they can swing a lighter cue even faster (with a straight stroke), that's probably the better choice. Between cue weight and speed, speed is the more important factor - the CB's speed is the result of the cue's weight times the square of its speed. That's why the trend is toward lighter break cues.

Last edited:

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Black Ice but have stopped using it in favor of a regular Pechauer break cue. I get better results with the latter. There is something about the tip on the Black Ice that doesn't agree with me. Feels like it slips off the cue ball a bit on some breaks. Not sure why or whether that is what is actually happening.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

chgo

Right, but for newer players they don't have a good stroke, so their little weak swing will give them more energy and the weight of the shaft will keep it going in a straight line better.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...their little weak swing will give them more energy
They have to exert more to produce more - swinging a heavier cue at the same speed delivers more energy to the CB, but it takes more energy to move it that same speed.

chgo

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use one on a radial butt. I like it a lot. I’ve tried a couple of the carbon break cues recently. I only get a good spread with the carbons when I shoot pretty softly.

The Black Ice fits my break stroke better.

I got mine used and do not know what tip is on it. It seems to be a layered tip but hard as anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skiergd011013

thinking about buying one of these. I have been using a cheapy Viper amazon break cue for years, and can use my tax money to get something nicer. Any additional input on this shaft? Should i get the whole cue(what im leaning toward), or just the shaft to put onto my viper? What weight is recommended? My normal playing cue is 19. Im thinking 18.5 for the breaker.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
thinking about buying one of these. I have been using a cheapy Viper amazon break cue for years, and can use my tax money to get something nicer. Any additional input on this shaft? Should i get the whole cue(what im leaning toward), or just the shaft to put onto my viper? What weight is recommended? My normal playing cue is 19. Im thinking 18.5 for the breaker.
It is your cue so personal preference overrides anybody else's opinion.

Following up what I have said previously here is my Opinion:
It is a great shaft.
It forward weights the cue.
I added it to a Pechauer butt I already had (See link above), so you could add it to what you have if you want.
I pulled all the weight out of the butt and the cue is at 19oz which what I like.
Tried different tips and I like the Bulletproof on it best.
I have been using it for a few years and the shaft is still like new with zero maintenance other than a dry wipe down.

skiergd011013

It is your cue so personal preference overrides anybody else's opinion.

Following up what I have said previously here is my Opinion:
It is a great shaft.
It forward weights the cue.
I added it to a Pechauer butt I already had (See link above), so you could add it to what you have if you want.
I pulled all the weight out of the butt and the cue is at 19oz which what I like.
Tried different tips and I like the Bulletproof on it best.
I have been using it for a few years and the shaft is still like new with zero maintenance other than a dry wipe down.
i ordered the whole setup, Naked cue with black ice shaft. I had them put a black linen wrap on it (normally comes without). Ordered in 19oz, as they said i can just remove weight bolt if i want to drop it down. I talked to steve on the phone, extremely helpful guy. I just got their jump cue a month ago and it is AMAZING. I have successfully jumped/made contact with every shot i have attempted with it. Its almost too easy. So i figured id give their breaker a try.