What the F is going on here?

chenjy9

A few games of pool is not physically demanding but ever been to a 3 day tournament and play on the third day, it's grueling and the folks that do it week in and week out are, IMHO, an athlete. I've in fairly decent shape and it wears me out playing all day.
You can say the same thing for literally anything in life. Studying for college exams for example is a grueling situation that will leave you utterly exhausted both mentally and physically even if you eat and rest properly and all you are doing is note taking and flipping pages. You are confusing fortitude with strenuous physical activity.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can say the same thing for literally anything in life. Studying for college exams for example is a grueling situation that will leave you utterly exhausted both mentally and physically even if you eat and rest properly and all you are doing is note taking and flipping pages. You are confusing fortitude with strenuous physical activity.

LOL, I think you confused fortitude with strenuous physical activity. I was very specifically talking about the physical aspects of playing pool for hours on end.

There's no doubt people are tired after studying because they are using a muscle (and more importantly glucose) and it gets tiring, but they're not studying every weekend, they study for a test and they're done. That's akin to me cleaning the garage, sure, I'm tired, but I don't consider myself an athlete because I used energy to clean my garage.

chenjy9

LOL, I think you confused fortitude with strenuous physical activity. I was very specifically talking about the physical aspects of playing pool for hours on end.

There's no doubt people are tired after studying because they are using a muscle (and more importantly glucose) and it gets tiring, but they're not studying every weekend, they study for a test and they're done. That's akin to me cleaning the garage, sure, I'm tired, but I don't consider myself an athlete because I used energy to clean my garage.

So how can you take what you just said and come away with the opposite conclusion for pool? :unsure:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how can you take what you just said and come away with the opposite conclusion for pool? :unsure:
Because they are not doing it as a career. My boss used to ride road bikes competitively and at that time he was an athlete, now he's an architect who just happens to be a physically fit architect who rides occasionally.

If it's not being done in the "normal course of business" (as in, how are they making money) then to me, they're not an athlete, just good at something they do.

That's the beauty of it all, I can have my opinion and you can have yours ;)

chenjy9

Because they are not doing it as a career. My boss used to ride road bikes competitively and at that time he was an athlete, now he's an architect who just happens to be a physically fit architect who rides occasionally.

If it's not being done in the "normal course of business" (as in, how are they making money) then to me, they're not an athlete, just good at something they do.

That's the beauty of it all, I can have my opinion and you can have yours ;)
Athlete doesn't mean a paid profession or being competitive. Athlete just means someone proficient in a sport.

And that distinction is?
I will let you find my previous posts to figure that out.

Which I disagree with. You can accomplish the same thing by simply standing or doing anything your body is not used to doing long term. That's fortitude (ability to withstand), not strenuous physical activity.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Athlete doesn't mean a paid profession or being competitive. Athlete just means someone proficient in a sport.

I will let you find my previous posts to figure that out.

Which I disagree with. You can accomplish the same thing by simply standing or doing anything your body is not used to doing long term. That's fortitude (ability to withstand), not strenuous physical activity.

And your opinion is that anyone doing physical activities is an athlete and mine is not ;)

If you're shooting hoops on the weekend and kicking ass it doesn't make you an athlete or an NBA professional.
If you're banging balls on the weekend having fun, you're not an athlete.

chenjy9

And your opinion is that anyone doing physical activities is an athlete and mine is not ;)

If you're shooting hoops on the weekend and kicking ass it doesn't make you an athlete or an NBA professional.
If you're banging balls on the weekend having fun, you're not an athlete.

That wasn't what I said at all. What I said was that an athlete was someone proficient at a sport. Someone who casually hoops is not an athlete. Someone who plays regularly and has gotten good at it however, is.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m enjoying this thread. My neighbor and I are getting a CornHole set. I never played. Who is the best instructor in the country? I want to learn.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That wasn't what I said at all. What I said was that an athlete was someone proficient at a sport. Someone who casually hoops is not an athlete. Someone who plays regularly and has gotten good at it however, is.

So, your distinction is - if they're good at it they're an athlete.

Mine is - if they make a living from it they're an athlete.

And that's ok ;)

chenjy9

So, your distinction is - if they're good at it they're an athlete.

Mine is - if they make a living from it they're an athlete.

And that's ok ;)

I agree, it's 100% OK that we have different ways of viewing things. I will say this, the term "professional" exists for a reason and exists separately from "athlete" for a reason. That's why we have the combined term "professional athlete".

TxBullDog

Registered
I played Cornhole at July 4th BBQ for the first time. After two games I got so bored.... A guy was watching me and was asking what I was doing when I started to spin the bag in the air to see if english works hahahahaha. Just to simple of a game for me but at least I tried it. Maybe someday we can get past the image problem in pool and get sponsors that are not related to the sport... I think we need to get more youth in the sport and try to get schools and colleges back involved on a wider scale. Hopefully more pro's teach more kids and care more about representing a better image especially when you never know who is streaming...

chenjy9

I played Cornhole at July 4th BBQ for the first time. After two games I got so bored.... A guy was watching me and was asking what I was doing when I started to spin the bag in the air to see if english works hahahahaha. Just to simple of a game for me but at least I tried it. Maybe someday we can get past the image problem in pool and get sponsors that are not related to the sport... I think we need to get more youth in the sport and try to get schools and colleges back involved on a wider scale. Hopefully more pro's teach more kids and care more about representing a better image especially when you never know who is streaming...
The fun factor becomes exponentially greater the more you drunk you get!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is boring to watch, people need to start facing reality and acknowledging the fact! I don't know why people are still surprised by this.

Even pool players don't watch pool, there are few limited amount of people who likes to watch pool, but not all.

Lets not even talk about people who don't play pool, they will yawn and pool will put them to sleep.

Not good for TV, not good for sponsorship, not good for commercial.

It is so clear to me why it isn't on TV as clear as a sunshine.
Yes we agree.

I however am the rare exception I enjoy watching pool, but in general it sucks.

I don’t eat eggs-haven’t had one since the 70’s. Worst idea ever, most people eat eggs all the time.

Enjoy pool for what it is.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fwiw I heard my neighbors playing corn hole 2 nights ago. They live in a huge mansion and play once a month I’d guess. I’m not sure if they have a pool table. They sounded like they were having fun.

Corn hole, the future sport of the world