Best Pool Balls?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, Aramith makes them but they are a classic

Old formula and they get dirty as all hell. Old technology. They look classic but they also play classic. I own a set. Rather play with a set of Acros II. Much better playing set. Not game altering. They just stay clean and play nice. They also sound nice I must say. Subtle but noticeable. Also shooting the purple balls always makes it fun

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
The only thing I own from Predator is the Arcos II ball set and I like them alot. Seem to stay clean and dont leave burn marks.

Attachments

• Arcos.jpg
    Arcos.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 99

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played for 53 years. The answer is….I don’t have a clue. I’ve tested balls in our lab. No real difference between them. In contrast, balls made 35 years pre computer machining, would have differences of weight and size even within a new set ( not that it was all that great).

It’s amazing that everyone is trying out new sets of balls for comparison. I just get a set from the cashier. What are they? Well, no idea and they certainly aren’t new to compare to the other ‘new’ set that I used at some hypothetical other pool hall I played in last year.

Comparing pool balls is like comparing cues…99% baloney.

Not if you play with the different sets it's not. There is a clear difference between the cheap, mid range and high end sets, at least before the Dynaspheres showed up. Even with those, the cueball in the Dynasphere sets is not as good as the Aramith or Centennial one.

And cues, well that is the same thing, there are huge ranges of balance, construction quality, hit feel and shaft performance in cues.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old formula and they get dirty as all hell. Old technology. They look classic but they also play classic. I own a set. Rather play with a set of Acros II. Much better playing set. Not game altering. They just stay clean and play nice. They also sound nice I must say. Subtle but noticeable. Also shooting the purple balls always makes it fun

And what it comes down to is, Predator didnt make them, Predator didn't formulate them, all they did is consult with Aramith as to what they wanted. So you are still playing with Aramith balls! Aramith did all of the leg work on this one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what it comes down to is, Predator didnt make them, Predator didn't formulate them, all they did is consult with Aramith as to what they wanted. So you are still playing with Aramith balls! Aramith did all of the leg work on this one.
Same balls as the Tournament's.

Cephalad

I have the Aramith tournament, an older set of Aramith balls (I think it was "premium" or something like that which is a silly name for their mid-range balls), the Dynasphere bronze and Dynasphere platinum, and I've played with the Cyclop hyperion set. It was a waste of money to get all those balls.

Very marginal difference between any of them. So slight its probably my imagination, and not enough of a difference to be meaningful even so.

I can't tell any difference between the Dynasphere Bronze set and Platinum set at all, other than they are a different type of ugly. I also don't think they stay cleaner than other sets, which I've heard people suggest.

The Aramith tournament plays better than the midrange Aramith set. But not that much.

For what it's worth, I put the Dynaspheres away and went back to the aramith tournament.

Get whatever set you think looks best and then forget about it until they need to be replaced.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ahhhh Duh! Of course Aramith made them. Never said they didn’t.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Aramith tournament, an older set of Aramith balls (I think it was "premium" or something like that which is a silly name for their mid-range balls), the Dynasphere bronze and Dynasphere platinum, and I've played with the Cyclop hyperion set. It was a waste of money to get all those balls.

Very marginal difference between any of them. So slight its probably my imagination, and not enough of a difference to be meaningful even so.

I can't tell any difference between the Dynasphere Bronze set and Platinum set at all, other than they are a different type of ugly. I also don't think they stay cleaner than other sets, which I've heard people suggest.

The Aramith tournament plays better than the midrange Aramith set. But not that much.

For what it's worth, I put the Dynaspheres away and went back to the aramith tournament.

Get whatever set you think looks best and then forget about it until they need to be replaced.
Maybe you are thinking of the Aramith Premieres? They are one step above the basic Crown Standard.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have them both. Not the same. Sorry.

And I suppose you could tell the difference between the two just by listening to them? Blindfolded?

All I can think of is the immortal words of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill...

I'm skeptical that you could, but I'm intrigued that you might! LOL

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I suppose you could tell the difference between the two just by listening to them? Blindfolded?

All I can think of is the immortal words of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill...

I'm skeptical that you could, but I'm intrigued that you might! LOL

No I can tell the difference because I can look at the marks left on the balls after play. This is not rocket science. Don’t over complicate the obvious.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums