How to practice not missing?

ldl01031

I know that sounds ridiculous. I can make any shot, get any shape. But I miss; usually easy shots. How can I best practice this out? 14.1? Throw out 'rhythm' and practice one shot at a time? Just get more tournament time? Suggestions are welcome. By the way, I experience this in practice just as much as tournament play. I was given the advice to "treat each shot with respect" by a multiple time world champion. I love that advice, but (usually) when I'm least expecting it - I miss. I'm willing to do any work necessary (and I now own a 9 foot table). I'm no youngster at 64 (and I'm coming back from not playing for 30 years). I've been back at this for a year now. Help! :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People in all sports take the easy stuff for granted. If you put 100% focus into every shot. I would bet you will miss less.

Friend who was sort of Pool
Instructor, told story of Allision Fisher working hundred of hour on basic stand, pre shot routine.

Maybe she did, maybe she did not. But she was top women player.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're missing the easy ones then it sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself. You're moving around the table, shooting, and then at some point, your brain gets ahead of your body because in your mind, you already made the shot. Try saying to yourself --- "Easy shot --- slow down." Then do it. Get the body back in sync with the brain.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre shot routine. Every single shot.
I'm going to tell you a secret. The best 14.1 players in the world don't go through a formal pre shot routine for every shot. In fact, some of them even stand in the same position from the shot before. Why? Because many of the shots are close together and are small shots. Believe it or not, it's sometimes better to stay there and just move your cue to the next shot sometimes and lean over a little to shoot, because getting up and back down again for each small shot increases the odds of fouling balls by touching them, or even the cue ball, which is also often surrounded by balls. But these players who run hundreds know how to keep their pace as they move through a rack so that their mind and body are in sync.

A good example is Lou Butera who ran 150 balls in 21 minutes. Those players have a mini version of a psr that works for them which probably involves setting the bridge hand and verifying the correct tip placement. But that's pretty much it. Now when the shot is difficult, you'll see them stand up and set themselves correctly. They know when a little extra time is necessary.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I'm going to tell you a secret. The best 14.1 players in the world don't go through a pre shot routine for every shot. In fact, some of them even stand in the same position from the shot before. Why? Because many of the shots are close together and are small shots. Believe it or not, it's sometimes better to stay there and just move your cue to the next shot sometimes and lean over a little to shoot, because getting up and back down again for each small shot increases the odds of fouling balls by touching them, or even the cue ball, which is also often surrounded by balls. But these players who run hundreds know how to keep their pace as they move through a rack so that their mind and body are in sync.

I am sure the BEST you mention do some Prescott, but they are like math wizards.

Looking at problem, then brain goes into auto drive, and you think it magic.

Do a simple task 10,000 times, it’s automatic.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
If you're missing the easy ones then it sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself. You're moving around the table, shooting, and then at some point, your brain gets ahead of your body because in your mind, you already made the shot. Try saying to yourself --- "Easy shot --- slow down." Then do it. Get the body back in sync with the brain.
Just did that last night. I had an easy shot and I saw the runout after. I shot and missed. A guy watching said I was already moving to the next shot before my stroke was finished.

How many times have I done and heard "How did I just make that hard shot and then miss the easy one after?"

Great advice here slow down, pre-shot routine, and treat all shots as the same difficulty.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure the BEST you mention do some Prescott, but they are like math wizards.

Looking at problem, then brain goes into auto drive, and you think it magic.

Do a simple task 10,000 times, it’s automatic.
Math wizards? LOL No. They're just regular guys. I met many of them.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just did that last night. I had an easy shot and I saw the runout after. I shot and missed. A guy watching said I was already moving to the next shot before my stroke was finished.

How many times have I done and heard "How did I just make that hard shot and then miss the easy one after?"

Great advice here slow down, pre-shot routine, and treat all shots as the same difficulty.
But they're not all the same difficulty. Why treat them that way? The worst thing you can do is to try to turn yourself into a machine. Don't lose your sense of self on the table. Be who you are, just make who you are work for you in the right ways.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Math wizards? LOL No. They're just regular guys. I met many of them.

Well you missed the point, but not everyone realizes thing that are common sense.

That is why people go to ER for minor cuts.

Maybe if insurance was not footing bill, they would learn to put on bandaids.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
But they're not all the same difficulty. Why treat them that way? The worst thing you can do is to try to turn yourself into a machine. Don't lose your sense of self on the table. Be who you are, just make who you are work for you in the right ways.
I don't mean you need to think they are the same difficulty, just follow the same routine. On a hard shot you concentrate on hitting the right spot with the right stroke. If you drop your guard on an easy shot and don't aim or stroke the same way then there is a higher probability of missing. Losing that concentration and not hitting the easy ball the same way as the hard ball is losing yourself on the table. Your right you don't want to be a cold machine, but you do want to be consistent so you don't get frustrated with flubbing an easy shot.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I know that sounds ridiculous. I can make any shot, get any shape. But I miss; usually easy shots. How can I best practice this out? 14.1? Throw out 'rhythm' and practice one shot at a time? Just get more tournament time? Suggestions are welcome. By the way, I experience this in practice just as much as tournament play. I was given the advice to "treat each shot with respect" by a multiple time world champion. I love that advice, but (usually) when I'm least expecting it - I miss. I'm willing to do any work necessary (and I now own a 9 foot table). I'm no youngster at 64 (and I'm coming back from not playing for 30 years). I've been back at this for a year now. Help! :)
Have someone watch you for post-stroke movement.

Also, setup easy shots and practice them with coming to a complete stop following the stroke. And practice in front of a mirror, because a lot of people who wriggle think they don't.

You can also practice the kind of movement that works, with the cue stick's motion, down and forward.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you missed the point, but not everyone realizes thing that are common sense.

That is why people go to ER for minor cuts.

Maybe if insurance was not footing bill, they would learn to put on bandaids.
LOL Yes, I did get your point, but since you've resorted to insults, now it's my turn. Your 'wizard' post was ridiculous. Not everyone is capable of shooting from the hip and posting fast. Take a little time and think before you write. It will serve you better that what you just did.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean you need to think they are the same difficulty, just follow the same routine. On a hard shot you concentrate on hitting the right spot with the right stroke. If you drop your guard on an easy shot and don't aim or stroke the same way then there is a higher probability of missing. Losing that concentration and not hitting the easy ball the same way as the hard ball is losing yourself on the table. Your right you don't want to be a cold machine, but you do want to be consistent so you don't get frustrated with flubbing an easy shot.
When you write something, you should try to anticipate what people may think you mean. If you're saying to treat each shot with the same difficulty, but you don't really mean that, then write what you really mean. It will avoid confusion.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
When you write something, you should try to anticipate what people may think you mean. If you're saying to treat each shot with the same difficulty, but you don't really mean that, then write what you really mean. It will avoid confusion.
What I originally wrote is what I meant. You miss interpreted its meaning. I did not say they are the same difficulty, simply that you should treat them the same. Whether the shot is hard or easy it still comes down to hitting the ball in the right spot. If you don't treat it the same then your fundamentals or aim or whatever can be off causing you to miss.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath live not far from me, he teaches pool well.

His lessons are not mumbojumbo, basic foundation stuff.

Guess he understands a house with crooked foundation is not strong.

Use to question Jerry method, but fundamentals, are important.

No strong fundamentals, no consistance.

👍

ldl01031

Both are solid advice. I was hoping for a miracle answer, but I'll take what I can get. Seriously, both answers are great to focus on. Thanks much.
Not to sound aloof (trust me, I'm not!) but my position play is advanced enough that I usually have easy shots. I definitely agree with "in my mind I've already made the shot." Heck, I sometimes miss with ball in hand because of that (not embarrassing at all :rolleyes:). I guess just working at keeping the presence of mind to focus on every shot is my way forward. It is so exasperating to be on a 2 1/2 rack run when suddenly my jaw drops with "omg, you did it again." And really, the missed shot could be any level of difficulty (but I recognize the ones that there is no way I should have missed).

Does anyone use other activities (not necessarily pool) to help build longer and longer periods of concentration?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath live not far from me, he teaches pool well.

His lessons are not mumbojumbo, basic foundation stuff.

Guess he understands a house with crooked foundation is not strong.

Use to question Jerry method, but fundamentals, are important.

No strong fundamentals, no consistance.

👍
And no math.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are solid advice. I was hoping for a miracle answer, but I'll take what I can get. Seriously, both answers are great to focus on. Thanks much.

Not to sound aloof (trust me, I'm not!) but my position play is advanced enough that I usually have easy shots. I definitely agree with "in my mind I've already made the shot." Heck, I sometimes miss with ball in hand because of that (not embarrassing at all :rolleyes:). I guess just working at keeping the presence of mind to focus on every shot is my way forward. It is so exasperating to be on a 2 1/2 rack run when suddenly my jaw drops with "omg, you did it again." And really, the missed shot could be any level of difficulty (but I recognize the ones that there is no way I should have missed).

Does anyone use other activities (not necessarily pool) to help build longer and longer periods of concentration?
Why do you think you need to practice longer periods of concentration when you admitted that you even miss ball in hand sometimes? Don't you think that maybe the reason is something else? Treat it like a puzzle. Figure out what's triggering you.