APA League MVP

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a session in a league and was top shooter and got my picture in the local billiard newspaper.
I also got a nice wall plaque and $75.00
Then I played in another league and wanted to be top shooter,I played some nights not feeling well just not to fall behind on points.
I was top shooter and got $20.00. No plaque or pin.
Never played feeling off again.
Well honestly pins, patches, and trophies do not get me warm, and fuzzy.

You like pins, patches, and trophies good for you.

Maybe you have a trophy case in your home to show off your ribbons, pins, and trolphies. Maybe the APA Should do a partisipation trophy annually, for millinals to get jazzed over.
And that's where we part.... Why do you have to have a reward???

If I go through a room to get to the top....(not there yet, placed 2nd twice).... I recall the battles to get there. I'm doing it because I like it. Same reason high power rifle shooters at Camp Perry do what they do. For the accomplishment. Believe me... they make nothing. I know.... I've been there several times. If I gamble, I wont do it at Camp Perry!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you get a plaque.
Depends on the league. Here you get a path and a tournament for am mvp title belt. Yeah you read that right lol york leagues have a championship belt you win instead of a trophy lol

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Depends on the league. Here you get a path and a tournament for am mvp title belt. Yeah you read that right lol york leagues have a championship belt you win instead of a trophy lol
The LO of the current league I play in wanted to introduce a singles tournament for league members with a 'wrestling' type champ belt... The of course covid happened. I sure hope he finds traction again with the idea. I don't think I'd battle for a tourney win more, if it gave me the pleasure of performing a WWF entrance every league night for a year...lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that's where we part.... Why do you have to have a reward???

If I go through a room to get to the top....(not there yet, placed 2nd twice).... I recall the battles to get there. I'm doing it because I like it. Same reason high power rifle shooters at Camp Perry do what they do. For the accomplishment. Believe me... they make nothing. I know.... I've been there several times. If I gamble, I wont do it at Camp Perry!
I replied to coco a couple times trying to debate our different views and then i realized something about coco and decided enough is enough.

He is a hypocrite. Why ? He feels amateur league pool players ought to make money off of playing pool but....he has a serious problem with league operators making money off of pool. Why is it ok for players to make money but not operators. ?

Coco thumbs his nose at todays millenials for accepting patches and trophies instead of money.

Betcha he is one of those that idolizes hustlers ....guys who dump on their backers and go out the back and split the prize money. . road players who hide their identity by wearing clothes that are appropriate for whatever situation that arises. And then has the nerve to bash a league sandbagger in the same breath. Rhere is no difference between any of them. They all are out to get what they can of the next guy.

Pure and simple greed. I want to keep my money but i want to take yours.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I replied to coco a couple times trying to debate our different views and then i realized something about coco and decided enough is enough.

He is a hypocrite. Why ? He feels amateur league pool players ought to make money off of playing pool but....he has a serious problem with league operators making money off of pool. Why is it ok for players to make money but not operators. ?

Coco thumbs his nose at todays millenials for accepting patches and trophies instead of money.

Betcha he is one of those that idolizes hustlers ....guys who dump on their backers and go out the back and split the prize money. . road players who hide their identity by wearing clothes that are appropriate for whatever situation that arises. And then has the nerve to bash a league sandbagger in the same breath. Rhere is no difference between any of them. They all are out to get what they can of the next guy.

Pure and simple greed. I want to keep my money but i want to take yours.

I know a guy who is the biggest sandbagger in the world then talks shit about them, I don't hang out with him anymore ;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a story for you thats a good example of what i stated in my above post.

A while back there was an open 9 ball tournament being played in a pool hall where we were also playing league that night.

Now i am a person that has a habit of being aware and very observant of whata going on around me due to playing in bars every weekend in my younger days.

I noticed a guy 2 tables down from me just practicing by himself and runnjmg racks one after another. He was obviously playing in the open tournament as i knew he was not a league player.

So i noticed a woman with him and she was walking around and watching all rhw league players practicing. We were all gathered at one end and the open players were at the other end. So after watching a few tables she goes back and talks to that guy. Well he goes and approaches a few different league players and talks to them . then goes back to his table and continues practicing. Being curious i asked a guy i know what he was talking about. He said the guy was asking to gamble.

So the woman goes back around watching a few more tables including mine and then goes back and talks to him again. Didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out ahe was scoping out easy marks.

Sure enough he comes up and asks me. I replied i guess your woman figured i was an easy mark. Tell you what ...i habe a team mate that will be here soon and will give you all the action you want. Well my team mate shows up and i tell him whats going on. He goes over to that guy and tells him he will play. The guy turned him down. I looled at the guy and laughed and he grabbed his cues and went back over to the other side.

Like i said ...some guys just look for easy pickings.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Just like I said, tried League once, it was so unorginized I said not for me. I hate disorganization

Patches, Ribbons, Trophies are not my thing.

Use to do weekly 9 ball tournament, it was more fun, and three place got money.💰

Not trying to start war Of words, my like & dislike are just mine.

If anyone love league enjoy your self, have fun.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who is the biggest sandbagger in the world then talks shit about them, I don't hang out with him anymore ;)
Oh man i got one for you.

When i finally got out of my bar player mentality and started playing some safes i beat this guy who was a 6 and i was a 5 in 8 ball during our cities. This was several years ago.

Later on i had people i didn't know come up and pat me on the back or want a high five and saying they heard i beat so and so . yea i say. They all said they same thing. I am glad you beat him because he is the biggest sandbagger in town. Later on i learn that i was the first guy to beat him during cities in years.

Well fast forward to a while back. He and i are playing 9 ball during regular session. He is an 8 and i was a 5. It was one of those nights i could do no wrong. I won 18-2. He started going off on how i was a sandbagger and he was going to quit apa if i was not raised to a 6. I said man if i had been a 6 tonight you would have still lost your azz.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you happy with a Trophy or Patch go for it. Many league operators are doing well. No I do not want to work at nothing but enjoying life.

Fellow who use to run APA was multimillion aire off Pool. Smart idea, he had before someone beat him to it.

Too me a Trophy or Patch is not much of incentive to play in league. How about a Driedf Cow Tird with Gold Paint for First Place. Cool Trophy.
Why do you people act like making money off pool is terrible lol he provides entertainment. It’s actually a lot of work just like any business. do you want pool to grow ? people other then players have to make money if you want business people to invest in it. Ya think matchroom sports is investing in pool because it makes their heart feel good. noooooo they think there is profit to be made. Welcome to capitalism ….if you don’t find it entertaining then don’t do it and leave people alone who do. Lol your I don’t set is why pool will always be trash financially while other sports like even corn hole are thriving. People throwing f&#$#$ bean bags at damn board with a hole in it are getting ESPN air time and the beautiful game of pool gets nothing because old guys with attitudes like yours think no one should make money but the player.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you people act like making money off pool is terrible lol he provides entertainment. It’s actually a lot of work just like any business. do you want pool to grow ? people other then players have to make money if you want business people to invest in it. Ya think matchroom sports is investing in pool because it makes their heart feel good. noooooo they think there is profit to be made. Welcome to capitalism ….if you don’t find it entertaining then don’t do it and leave people alone who do. Lol your I don’t set is why pool will always be trash financially while other sports like even corn hole are thriving. People throwing f&#$#$ bean bags at damn board with a hole in it are getting ESPN air time and the beautiful game of pool gets nothing because old guys with attitudes like yours think no one should make money but the player.
The same type of people (not specifically you Cowboy) will try to sneak food and beverages in so they can save a buck. Seen it happen. And at the same time, expect the practice tables be free.... just because he was playing the tournament there. Was whining that the establishment was making a fortune and opening the tables wouldn't hurt them. Seen it happen.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Well Pool is suppose to be a sport, sports players in many case get paid. Wonder how many would play on PGA if their was not money, or rainbow at end of game.

I always laugh went I heard a Bar, or Sports Bar had a Bar Table Tournment and we're adding money. When you did the math, figuring out what the Quarters, or Dollars feed into the Bar Boxes added up to money in promoters pocket, in many case the venue was adding zero.

Like I said I sure do not have to be in league for entertainment, need no Trophies, Ribbons, or Patches. I a number person, cheap, love to find deals, and last understand that a FREE Las Vegas Vacation in many case is not FREER when you have to be hounded by a time share person for three or four hours.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Pool is suppose to be a sport, sports players in many case get paid. Wonder how many would play on PGA if their was not money, or rainbow at end of game.

I always laugh went I heard a Bar, or Sports Bar had a Bar Table Tournment and we're adding money. When you did the math, figuring out what the Quarters, or Dollars feed into the Bar Boxes added up to money in promoters pocket, in many case the venue was adding zero.

Like I said I sure do not have to be in league for entertainment, need no Trophies, Ribbons, or Patches. I a number person, cheap, love to find deals, and last understand that a FREE Las Vegas Vacation in many case is not FREER when you have to be hounded by a time share person for three or four hours.
If a fella was so inclined

He could play a minimum of 6 matches a session for 3 sessions. Thats a total cost of 127.00 in fees for the year.

He happens to win singles regional and qualifies for an expenses paid trip to vegas...1500.00 i believe.

He wins first place in singles for a total of 15.000.00. Not too shabby for a 127.00 imvestment.

Keep talking shit about patches coco.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a fella was so inclined

He could play a minimum of 6 matches a session for 3 sessions. Thats a total cost of 127.00 in fees for the year.

He happens to win singles regional and qualifies for an expenses paid trip to vegas...1500.00 i believe.

He wins first place in singles for a total of 15.000.00. Not too shabby for a 127.00 imvestment.

Keep talking shit about patches coco.
Forgot about the 25.00 yearly fee to apa. Gotta figure that big dollar expense into your total cost.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Just like I said, tried League once, it was so unorginized I said not for me. I hate disorganization

Patches, Ribbons, Trophies are not my thing.

Use to do weekly 9 ball tournament, it was more fun, and three place got money.💰

Not trying to start war Of words, my like & dislike are just mine.

If anyone love league enjoy your self, have fun.
I understand how you feel, and that's your right to feel as you do.

But why do you feel it necessary to come onto a member's thread that asked a question concerning APA MVP information and start spouting all your negativity about leagues, patches, and trophies???

Why not just shut the f*ck up and stay off of the thread if you cannot bring the OP some information that he was seeking, or at the very least you could just keep your fingers off of the keyboard if you cannot add some positive feedback?

Your sh*t stinks and so does your use of the English language.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I understand how you feel, and that's your right to feel as you do.

But why do you feel it necessary to come onto a member's thread that asked a question concerning APA MVP information and start spouting all your negativity about leagues, patches, and trophies???

Why not just shut the f*ck up and stay off of the thread if you cannot bring the OP some information that he was seeking, or at the very least you could just keep your fingers off of the keyboard if you cannot add some positive feedback?

Your sh*t stinks and so does your use of the English language.

Well if you do not like my english, grammar, and right to voice an opinion, tought tacos, sorry you did not like my opinion of LEAGUES. It my Opinon, lik your and My Opinion are own by each of us.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coco...you are certainly entitled to express your opinion on this forum...even as misguided as it is. However you should not be surprised for catching flak for it.

The issue i have is how you figuratively thumb your nose at people who play pool just for the pure enjoyment of it.

I have read many posts on here where people state they cannot play pool unless they are playimg for something ..or at least play their best withoit somethimg om the line. You apparently fall into that category.

You gotta wonder about people like that. Ard they wanna be hustlers and dream of being the next cj wiley ?. Not singling him out but he is the first person that came to mind. Or is it their way of mentally stroking their manhood by winning money off of an opponent.?

Also your constant references to people playing for patches gets monotonous. Their is not a poster on here that stayed they joined leagues to win patches or trophies.

I will admit that i do display a trophy i won in napa league . its a reminder that anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Not just in pool but everyday life.

I would like to tell the story behind it in another post as this one is long enough.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The trophy memtioned above is what i recieved for coming in first place in a napa league end of year top shooter tournament.

We played laggers choice which means whoever won the lag chose what game to play between 8 ..9 ..and 10 ball. The races usually varied in each game because most player had different handicaps in each format.

Upon making it to the finals i won the lag and was going to choose 8 ball.....being my strongest game.game and his weakest.

The race in 8 ball would be me..4 and him. 5
9 ball was me 3 and him 7
10 ball was me 4 and him 6

Well he suggested we play 9 ball. I told him no. He again asked and again i said no. He then stated i was scared and a chicken to play him 9 ball. Well his goading worked as it pizzed me off and i agreed to 9 ball.

I was not thinking about the trophy or the 200 .00 prize money...all that was on my mind was kicking this cocky mf'ers azz on the pool table.

I wound up winning 3-1 . the whole place was congratulating me and the lo must have said unbelievable about 3 times lol.

I have said before on here that your mental game is one of the most important and often overlooked aspects of your game.

Like i said...i keep this trophy as a remimder that you can accomplish kust about anything you if you set your mind to it. Not just in pool but every day life situations.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Coco...you are certainly entitled to express your opinion on this forum...even as misguided as it is. However you should not be surprised for catching flak for it.

The issue i have is how you figuratively thumb your nose at people who play pool just for the pure enjoyment of it.

I have read many posts on here where people state they cannot play pool unless they are playimg for something ..or at least play their best withoit somethimg om the line. You apparently fall into that category.

You gotta wonder about people like that. Ard they wanna be hustlers and dream of being the next cj wiley ?. Not singling him out but he is the first person that came to mind. Or is it their way of mentally stroking their manhood by winning money off of an opponent.?

Also your constant references to people playing for patches gets monotonous. Their is not a poster on here that stayed they joined leagues to win patches or trophies.

I will admit that i do display a trophy i won in napa league . its a reminder that anything is possible if you set your mind to it. Not just in pool but everyday life.

I would like to tell the story behind it in another post as this one is long enough.

Well I tend to participate in things I like, use to like. Northern Lounge & Ox Bar 9 ball tournaments.

IMHO they BEST BAR BOX, events I liked. Both places closed.

Both Metro Sports & Kollbys also had Big Table 9 Ball event I liked.

both place change.👎

Moved on to One Pocket and that is about all I play.

Lucky I have guy to play with who is strong 8, or weak 9 to play with, who likes beating up on me. Young guy only 68.😁

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I tend to participate in things I like, use to like. Northern Lounge & Ox Bar 9 ball tournaments.

IMHO they BEST BAR BOX, events I liked. Both places closed.

Both Metro Sports & Kollbys also had Big Table 9 Ball event I liked.

both place change.👎

Moved on to One Pocket and that is about all I play.

Lucky I have guy to play with who is strong 8, or weak 9 to play with, who likes beating up on me. Young guy only 68.😁

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont care for one pocket as i think its a veey slow game but you wont see me bashing the game or anyone on here loves it.

Just turned 67 years young last wendesday.