Custom Cue Design Preferences

chenjy9

In the last few weeks searching for a cue maker to make my dream Sneaky Pete (finally settled on Powers), I have seen a LOT of custom cue designs. One thing I noticed is that a lot of cue makers make a LOT of SP and PJ type cues. I also noticed in quite a few instances, the terms "affordable" and "value" repeatedly came up in association of those 2 designs. This led me to wonder, are these designs so popular because they are cheap or because a lot of people actually prefer those designs? I personally always preferred minimalistic designs, but I have always thought of myself as the odd one out from an aesthetics standpoint and am now curious about the preferences of others.

So, I wanted to ask... if cue maker prestige (ie buying from Southwest/Sugartree because they are Southwest/Sugartree) and money were not part of the equation, what kind of cue design and material choice would you want?

For me, it would first be the custom Sneaky Pete I recently commissioned:
  • Gaboon ebony butt sleeve
  • Curly maple butt forearm with gaboon ebony pointers
  • Matching curly maple low deflection shaft
  • 12.5mm tip between soft and medium
  • Wood-to-Wood contact type joint without collars
Now, since that dream (always loved Sneaky Petes) is in the process of coming true, my new dream cue design would be:
  • Gaboon ebony butt sleeve with bone ivory butt plate
  • Genuine black bullhide leather wrap with bone ivory wrap rings
    • Small gaboon ebony diamond inlays in wrap rings
  • Gaboon ebony forearm with bone ivory floating pointer veneers
  • Modified 3/8x10 joint with bone ivory collar and same wrap ring design on butt side edge
  • Customized Mezz Ignite shaft (love the way it hits) with matching collar
Look forward to seeing what you guys prefer when not considering cue maker prestige and material cost!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I like a simple Titlist Conversion, have (2) that I play with.

Points will never get award for equality, or being perfect. But that is ok by me.

About the only game I play is One Pocket, my Cues work well.

chenjy9

Well I like a simple Titlist Conversion, have (2) that I play with.

Points will never get award for equality, or being perfect. But that is ok by me.

About the only game I play is One Pocket, my Cues work well.

Is a simple Titleist Conversion essentially a true Sneaky Pete?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Is a simple Titleist Conversion essentially a true Sneaky Pete?

I define a Sneaky Pete as something that appear to be a house cue is disguise.

Friend use to play Tournment with a Cheap NFL Cue, about all he did was layered tip, and Polished shaft with Cue Wax.

Both my Titlist's have sort of Fancy Rings, and Hoppy Rings. So they are not Sneaky.

Attachments

• AA3BF2DF-2758-4358-9F69-E4CB8EAC3E6E.jpeg
    AA3BF2DF-2758-4358-9F69-E4CB8EAC3E6E.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1C5384B5-14FF-4F56-9445-8C4F40F86AB0.jpeg
    1C5384B5-14FF-4F56-9445-8C4F40F86AB0.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 13526115-9A3B-4351-A8AA-EFB02D17B4CE.jpeg
    13526115-9A3B-4351-A8AA-EFB02D17B4CE.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 86
  • C20AD902-F3BA-450A-835B-72A911269B11.jpeg
    C20AD902-F3BA-450A-835B-72A911269B11.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 03DE68CA-A2D8-4521-A4D7-4A2FB788FE73.jpeg
    03DE68CA-A2D8-4521-A4D7-4A2FB788FE73.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 89

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last few weeks searching for a cue maker to make my dream Sneaky Pete (finally settled on Powers), <snip>

So, I wanted to ask... if cue maker prestige (ie buying from Southwest/Sugartree because they are Southwest/Sugartree) and money were not part of the equation, what kind of cue design and material choice would you want?

For me, it would first be the custom Sneaky Pete I recently commissioned:
  • Gaboon ebony butt sleeve
  • Curly maple butt forearm with gaboon ebony pointers
  • Matching curly maple low deflection shaft
  • 12.5mm tip between soft and medium
  • Wood-to-Wood contact type joint without collars
Now, since that dream (always loved Sneaky Petes) is in the process of coming true, my new dream cue design would be:
  • Gaboon ebony butt sleeve with bone ivory butt plate--this makes the cue not a Sneaky Pete
  • Genuine black bullhide leather wrap with bone ivory wrap rings--a wrap makes the cue not a Sneaky Pete
    • Small gaboon ebony diamond inlays in wrap rings--this makes the cue not a Sneaky Pete
  • Gaboon ebony forearm with bone ivory floating pointer veneers--this makes the cue not a Sneaky Pete
  • Modified 3/8x10 joint with bone ivory collar and same wrap ring design on butt side edge
  • Customized Mezz Ignite shaft (love the way it hits) with matching collar
Look forward to seeing what you guys prefer when not considering cue maker prestige and material cost!
Nice cue, but all that "added style" makes the cue stand out.
And NOT standing out is what makes a cue a Sneaky Pete.

chenjy9

Nice cue, but all that "added style" makes the cue stand out.
And NOT standing out is what makes a cue a Sneaky Pete.
The only added style is ebony wood and curly maple. Are you referring to the 2nd set of specs? If so, that's a different cue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I like many designs. When the wood is super highly figured, I like it with no inlays and without points in most cases. I also love cues with other exotic woods with points, vaneers and inlays.

If money was no issue, I'd surely have a couple super fancy Black Boars & Zen Cues. I'd also have at least one fancy Tonkin, Manzino & a few others I think i'd never be able to afford otherwise.

chenjy9

I like many designs. When the wood is super highly figured, I like it with no inlays and without points in most cases. I also love cues with other exotic woods with points, vaneers and inlays.

If money was no issue, I'd surely have a couple super fancy Black Boars & Zen Cues. I'd also have at least one fancy Tonkin, Manzino & a few others I think i'd never be able to afford otherwise.

What kind of wood without inlays and points? What kind of exotic woods with points and veneers? How about diamonds, rings, or any other types of flair?

chenjy9

I define a Sneaky Pete as something that appear to be a house cue is disguise.

Friend use to play Tournment with a Cheap NFL Cue, about all he did was layered tip, and Polished shaft with Cue Wax.

Both my Titlist's have sort of Fancy Rings, and Hoppy Rings. So they are not Sneaky.

That looks gorgeous!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
What kind of wood without inlays and points? What kind of exotic woods with points and veneers? How about diamonds, rings, or any other types of flair?
I have some sick cues with highly figured waterfall Bubinga, BEM, cocobolo, Madagascar ebony, buckeye burl, hickory burl & holly.

My favorite exotic wood is Brazilian rosewood, but also love tulipwood and many others. I like all the different inlays and flair. Not going to lie, I really enjoy ivory inlays.

chenjy9

I have some sick cues with highly figured waterfall Bubinga, BEM, cocobolo, Madagascar ebony, buckeye burl, hickory burl & holly.

My favorite exotic wood is Brazilian rosewood, but also love tulipwood and many others. I like all the different inlays and flair. Not going to lie, I really enjoy ivory inlays.

Same, I love the contrast of ivory inlays against ebony but most custom cues have way too much bling for my tastes which is why I have always ended up with merry widows. Depending on how my Sneaky turns out, I intend on commissioning Powers for that 2nd cue listed in my original post as well as an inverted purpleheart / curly maple Stinger break cue.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

How about this:

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 60

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
A sneaky should be a 4 point no veneers and a wood joint no collar. Should look like a house cue at first glance.
I like 6 point like SW or my current fav AE one of the most precise makers out there amazing work.
5508AE18-19D8-4EC9-AAA9-E7011179ECC5.jpeg

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of like this Sugartree.

Attachments

• BA9C11F7-8FEA-443D-B30B-91935AF5669B.jpeg
    BA9C11F7-8FEA-443D-B30B-91935AF5669B.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 76
  • E5FBAA44-8BCF-49D1-B0B8-E23712C0466E.jpeg
    E5FBAA44-8BCF-49D1-B0B8-E23712C0466E.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 77