New Cue/Shaft recommendation

mrwinky

Hi All,

Looking for some advice here, I've recently sold off one of my older cues, so I want to reinvest that back into a new one. Currently using a Viking Cue with Vikore shaft (13mm tip) but would like to get a Carbon fiber for maintenance and slickness. Using the $1000 from my previous cue to reinvest

Option 1. Order a Viking Siege shaft for $600 (cdn) I do not really have an option to try it out in advance, Tip size is 12.75mm, but I really didnt like playing with a 12.5m tip on my old shooter. Downside to this is I'm stuck with Viking's QR pin system.

Option 2. Get my local cue guy to replace the pin in my Viking butt, as well as the Vikore shaft (in case I want to go back to it) at a cost of around $200, plus the cost of a Revo 12.9 ($600) . So I'm in for $800

Option 3. One of my Friends is/has connection to a predator dealer, has an Ikon 4-1 butt for $1000 cdn, and then $600 for the Revo 12.9 shaft. So $1600 cdn, means I'm out of pocket $600.

Option 4. Ordering from Seyberts a 9k3-1 with a revo shaft, (plus the extension, something I'm really excited to get) comes out to $1150 US delivered, the unknown is duty/tax, last time I ordered $400USD, and had it shipped UPS expedited, I didnt get hit with any Duty, but I think this is hit or miss. So with no Duty this would come out to around $1450 Cdn. Problem is, I really can't play with this combo at all, but I've used the revo 12.9 and do like the size/feel. So I'm thinking the butt might not make too much of a difference.

So for option 1. I end up with $400 in my pocket, Option 2 $200, Option 3 -$600, Option 4 -$450. I know predator has a mass marketing, but I do think that should I flip down the road, Option 3/4 will return more from my investment.

About my skill level, I played in the early 2000's was ranked A player, gave up the game around 06, and just got back into it just before covid shut us down, so I've been back for about a year, mostly play barbox, heading to WCVNEA's in a week, and then off to BCA in vegas in Sept for Singles and team.

Thanks in advance, and if you have other recommendations I'm open to listening.

Cheers

Winky

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ob has carbon fiber shafts with the ability to accomodate various pin types with interchangeable inserts
check them out to see if they have one that will fit your viking

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Tough decision for sure. If you're coming to the states for a couple of days or weeks, you can buy while here for a cheaper price. I'm sure there maybe even be predator at the events.

mrwinky

Tough decision for sure. If you're coming to the states for a couple of days or weeks, you can buy while here for a cheaper price. I'm sure there maybe even be predator at the events.
Yea I'm coming to BCA this sept, as long as they dont shut vegas down again. But I'm leaning towards the Ikon with Revo, its comes in around $300-400 less than retail, and predator seems to hold some resale value, so if anything is amiss with me and the cue I can recoup some costs.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Yea I'm coming to BCA this sept, as long as they dont shut vegas down again. But I'm leaning towards the Ikon with Revo, its comes in around $300-400 less than retail, and predator seems to hold some resale value, so if anything is amiss with me and the cue I can recoup some costs.
I think the predator is a great decision. I've tried about 15 different cf shafts and to me the Revo is still the best. I carry a 12.4 & 11.8 Revo with me at all times.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Beautiful combination.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Best advice so far,👍 Buy in USA if cheaper, and it should be easy to take home.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Which Ikon model are you looking at?

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Good choice. I know cue selection is not always a beauty contest but the Ikon 4-1 and 4-5 look great with a Revo shaft. That's important to some people and not so much to others.

mrwinky

Thanks Guys, I think I'm going to go with Ikon 4-1 and Revo 12.9 (assuming practicing with it next week goes well) so I'll probably buy it here in canada. As it will cost me $1275 US (converted Cdn-US) vs $1550 us if I pick it up in USA.

Thanks everyone !

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Good choice and a great price. Good luck.
predator-ikon4-1-pool-cue-2000x200.jpg