Looking a new cue maybe

icecool69

Registered
Hi,

I am currently playing with a Jacoby with a 12.3mm carbon shaft but finding the deflection on it a little strange to say the least.

I have decided I want to try a 11.8mm shaft to see what the difference is but this is where my problem is which one do I try as there and plenty of options

I don’t mind it being wood or carbon but has anyone got any opinions on which is the best 11.8mm shaft out there for the least deflection and also playability

I keep looking at the following brands..

Predator
Mezz
Jacoby
Fury

Am I looking at the right brands and if so which in your opinion is the best 11.8mm they do but would like reasons why

any other brands I am happy to look at

thanks in advance

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally love the Jacoby Black but have heard good things about Mezz’s 12.0 shaft. I think it is the 900.

What pin is your current cue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icecool69

Registered
I personally love the Jacoby Black but have heard good things about Mezz’s 12.0 shaft. I think it is the 900.

What pin is your current cue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is the radial pin, I do like it but it does seem to deflect a lot though and that’s why I looking at going to 11.8mm

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I am currently playing with a Jacoby with a 12.3mm carbon shaft but finding the deflection on it a little strange to say the least.

I have decided I want to try a 11.8mm shaft to see what the difference is but this is where my problem is which one do I try as there and plenty of options

I don’t mind it being wood or carbon but has anyone got any opinions on which is the best 11.8mm shaft out there for the least deflection and also playability

I keep looking at the following brands..

Predator
Mezz
Jacoby
Fury

Am I looking at the right brands and if so which in your opinion is the best 11.8mm they do but would like reasons why

any other brands I am happy to look at

thanks in advance
You'll get a hundred different opinions. My personal favorite was the Cuetec Cynergy. Good luck with your search.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Jacoby 12.7. Got it because I had two other Ultra wood shafts at 12.75 that I really liked and wasn't sure that I would like a skinnier shaft. Still shoot my ultra shafts more consistently, but at times do really good with the black. I get a bit more action with the black, but I really have to concentrate and do my part to shoot well with it. Other friends have tried it and really liked it, and shot great with it right off the bat. Have a new custom cue coming on Thursday, and depending how I like that shaft, I may order an ultra wood shaft for it. I think they say that on the predator carbon shaft, the 12.9 is the lowest deflection one. Smaller tip size doesn't always mean lower deflection

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I had a jacoby black and thought it was whippy like the old Meucci shafts from the 90's. Has tons of deflection as well. I've tried 15 different cf shafts and keep going back to the Revo. Have 2 11.8mm Revo's now in different pin sizes. That's what I'd recommend over and over

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the deflection of your current shaft find to be “strange”?

How long have you had it and what did you use previously?

icecool69

Registered
What about the deflection of your current shaft find to be “strange”?

How long have you had it and what did you use previously?
I have tried OB Pro, Meucci Pro shaft, predator 3143 in the past.

I am struggling with the deflection as coming for an English 8 ball and snooker background these 9 ball shafts seem to deflect a hell of a lot and can’t seem to adjust to them.

In relation to it feeling strange in the fact this is meant to be low deflection but I keep it’s got a lot of deflection but also strange in the fact I can set the same shot up ten times and hit the cue ball in the same position with the same power and get 10 different amounts of deflection

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Call Ned Morris. Get a great cue built by him and his Evolution C/F shaft. Amazing playability and way better resale than the machine shops; Predator, Meucci, etc.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mine is the radial pin, I do like it but it does seem to deflect a lot though and that’s why I looking at going to 11.8mm
I think you may want to look at different shaft tapers, weights, stiffness, etc. My opinion is that "deflection" may be based more on those criteria, than tip diameter. Good luck.

chenjy9

Call Ned Morris. Get a great cue built by him and his Evolution C/F shaft. Amazing playability and way better resale than the machine shops; Predator, Meucci, etc.
I messaged Ned Morris a few days ago and was asked to try again in a couple of months. I guess he is currently too busy. I will try again in a couple!

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Titleist cue that Ned Morris made into a really nice cue. The Titleist has the longest veneers he's ever seen. Also comes with his C/F Evolution shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_5871.jpg
    IMG_5871.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5872.jpg
    IMG_5872.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5875.jpg
    IMG_5875.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 143
Bob Danielson

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dark Horse custom cues, he is on FB. Makes his own CF shaft, I am diehard maple shaft fan but I hit with one and i was impressed.