Do you have a "learning style"? Maybe not

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing how i'm one of those who has to hit their thumb with a hammer twice before i snap i'm gonna call my method 'stumbling in the dark'. ;)

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Although there's an interesting avenue there: How much people are willing to take instruction, or insist on going their own way.

I like to understand things in some depth, which has advantages and disadvantages, as it sometimes conflicts a bit with just doing what you're told by an instructor.

As it happens, I didn't have access to any instruction until pretty old, so a bit of independence was probably a good thing.

Although it probably also ties in with over-thinking things. But that leads to discovering things and working them out.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Chill, lifes too short.
I know you are a bca guy, if you think the attempted theft of Mosconi's 526 and or fibbing to the public as if they were oblivious media sheep - is 'cool' - u may end up regretting that Bill. You May b losing yer Bigfoot status u once had - no bueno. This is not the 90's, I have known you many years Bill you were and still possibly are a World Class rotation player. A 67+ yr old record - is not a short period of time (in relation to the current 526 World Record). In your future posts - towers me - please try to be less despondent about erasing Mosconi's 526. U once hinted round bout competing wit me in One Pocket, as I stated it's not the 90's and I can be reached for One Pocket action any time here in Springfield - Honest Engine here. Also for future ref' - if you plan on giving me advice about chillin' - make double barrel sure it's validated, as learning styles can come in open invite for possible one on one one pocket match ups. yard stick for lunatics is one point of view - in relation to life - my longevity is solid. Live in the momento' - as sometimes heat stops any attempted friction and or corruption. This is my learning style.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you are a bca guy, if you think the attempted theft of Mosconi's 526 and or fibbing to the public as if they were oblivious media sheep - is 'cool' - u may end up regretting that Bill. You May b losing yer Bigfoot status u once had - no bueno. This is not the 90's, I have known you many years Bill you were and still possibly are a World Class rotation player. A 67+ yr old record - is not a short period of time in relation to the current 526 World Record). In your future posts - towers me - please try to be less despondent about erasing Mosconi's 526. U once hinted round bout competing wit me in One Pocket, as I stated it's not the 90's and I can be reached for One Pocket action any time here in Springfield - Honest Engine here. Also for future ref' - if you plan on giving me advice about chillin' - make double barrel sure it's validated, as learning styles can come in open invite for possible one on one one pocket match ups. yard stick for lunatics is one point of view - in relation to life - my longevity is solid. Live in the momento' - as sometimes heat stops any attempted friction and or corruption. This is my learning style.
Will you be attending the American 14.1 tournament Danny Boy? Or the one pocket at Pat's event the week after. Or the 9 ball. What about the US Open?
JS will be at all of them while you hide in your basement.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will you be attending the American 14.1 tournament Danny Boy? Or the one pocket at Pat's event the week after. Or the 9 ball. What about the US Open?
Taunting isn’t a learning style.
Neither is the shoeless Joe act, that aims to smear.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although there's an interesting avenue there: How much people are willing to take instruction, or insist on going their own way.

I like to understand things in some depth, which has advantages and disadvantages, as it sometimes conflicts a bit with just doing what you're told by an instructor.

As it happens, I didn't have access to any instruction until pretty old, so a bit of independence was probably a good thing.

Although it probably also ties in with over-thinking things. But that leads to discovering things and working them out.
Very good points here. Instruction should be beneficial to the person taking it. But that's not always the case. Timing is important as well as the teacher-student relationship. If they don't click with each other, and if the timing is wrong, then it won't be helpful.

Anyone who watches a how-to video is already taking instructions, even though they may not consider it as such. If the ideas aren't coming from you, then they're instructions.

I've always liked figuring out things for myself. Most of my improvement came from self-learning. There were no videos to watch when I was working on my game. It was all experimentation. However, I recall that there were key points in my learning life where I sought out help and took in another person's ideas. When the timing was right and the chemistry with that person was right, it got me to the next level and off the plateau I was on.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears" always intrigued me.
I used to wonder whether it was meant to be a spiritualistic 'the universe will ensure it' idea, or a cue to the teacher to lay low until the right time (although how would they know?)

I think you can add the possibility that when the student is willing to learn, life has so many learning opportunities that they will find some of them.

(But presumably the phrase deliberately milked its own ambiguity.)

I read recently "You can't tell anyone anything they don't already know". (I think it was in Kerouac, On the Road.) It rings true, but I think you can sow the seeds of something a person will be ready to be told later too.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears" always intrigued me.
I used to wonder whether it was meant to be a spiritualistic 'the universe will ensure it' idea, or a cue to the teacher to lay low until the right time (although how would they know?)

I think you can add the possibility that when the student is willing to learn, life has so many learning opportunities that they will find some of them.

(But presumably the phrase deliberately milked its own ambiguity.)

I read recently "You can't tell anyone anything they don't already know". (I think it was in Kerouac, On the Road.) It rings true, but I think you can sow the seeds of something a person will be ready to be told later too.
It’s companion, from the teacher’s side, is it’s easy to want more for the student than they want for themselves.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"When the teacher is ready, the student maybe still isn't?" :LOL:
Sometimes the student isn’t really ready to learn, just looking for a magic bullet.
Think back on all the teachers you had in school. Some were good, some were OK, some were great and some were awful. I've been posting in social media now for a couple of decades and I've seen high praise for some teachers who I happen to think are bloody awful. Some may think I'm bloody awful.

In the end, it comes down to the two people involved. If they're both happy, regardless of the outcome and what others may think, then that's what matters. So the guy looking for the magic bullet should keep looking. He may just find one from a teacher he clicks with.

It's all perception anyway.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I don't have a basement - but I'm sure u are apart of the underground cowards - cower in yr media'awchrety - 1984. Last two times he competed against me - he got pulverized on the tight equip - I see no need to beat a fake record horse. See if yer pal schmidtty would like to play me here in MO one on one - on a tight Diamond table - he is probly still having nightmares from his last two attempts i.e. (TAR). u may find he chooses to stick to his theater show and the 5" pockets tournaments. u lost yer luster - long ago. I see u choose a fake avatar name, makes sense - many cowards find it to be fun to hide - kinda like j.s/c.w/ and bca with their 626 proof - or I should say lack there of. Have a good day doin' yer satellite imagery - proceed wit caution as the honest pipes are calling yer real name.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have a basement - but I'm sure u are apart of the underground cowards - cower in yr media'awchrety - 1984. Last two times he competed against me - he got pulverized on the tight equip - I see no need to beat a fake record horse. See if yer pal schmidtty would like to play me here in MO one on one - on a tight Diamond table - he is probly still having nightmares from his last two attempts i.e. (TAR). u may find he chooses to stick to his theater show and the 5" pockets tournaments. u lost yer luster - long ago. I see u choose a fake avatar name, makes sense - many cowards find it to be fun to hide - kinda like j.s/c.w/ and bca with their 626 proof - or I should say lack there of. Have a good day doin' yer satellite imagery - proceed wit caution as the honest pipes are calling yer real name.
That's hardly the point. Win or lose, he's out there competing against the best in the world while you're writing countless posts all saying basically the same thing. By now, everyone and their brother knows you hate JS. So what, nobody cares. The only way you can gain any credibility is going out and playing in some big events. Maybe not the American 14.1, the field there is a little too tough.