Viking Valhalla line sucks!

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Yes they suck! I might change my avatar after trying to play with that šŸ’© Viking is selling last night. They play nothing like my regular Viking cues. They are stiff and s$&@$y. My friend has them as his house cues. I forgot my cue yesterday and thought-ā€œwell itā€™s not so bad. He has Viking house cuesā€. I was definitely wrong on that one. I would take a McDermott Star or other lower tier McDermott over Valhalla line any day of the week. And I hate McDermott cues.

if you want a Viking cue do not buy a Valhalla line. Itā€™s definitely not a Viking. I hope all their cues donā€™t play like this now. Iā€™m trying to get a custom built for me right now from them. Just waiting on the price. Their custom shops backed up because of the peak pool season.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind, that line of cues from them is very similar to the McDermott "Lucky" line, cheap cues, that's all they are.

Also, it's all relative - when my daughter started playing league I bought her one of the Lucky cues from McDermott. She thought it was all that because she had been using a bar cue ;)

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
If anyone likes the way they play, Iā€™d like to hear about it. I could be wrong in this low deflection craze era of today. All my shafts are regular.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Keep in mind, that line of cues from them is very similar to the McDermott "Lucky" line, cheap cues, that's all they are.

Also, it's all relative - when my daughter started playing league I bought her one of the Lucky cues from McDermott. She thought it was all that because she had been using a bar cue ;)
My thing is you get a solid shot with good feedback off the lower line McDermottā€™s that Iā€™ve tried. My girlfriend has a star. Itā€™s a bit stiff but you get good feedback. I think the last lucky line I tried was a little whippy with a good hit. The whippy ones seem to warp easier. I could be wrong on todayā€™s lucky line though too

crazy8legs

Registered
I used to manage a pool hall part time and we sold a ton of them. So I have a different opinion than yours. I actually think you cannot beat them for the money. And I do think they hit better than the McDermott Star cues. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee on the shaft for warpage, which the Star does not.

BUT... The stock tip is absolutely horrible. I put a G2 med on my gf's and I think it hits really nice. So all in it was like $95.

What cue are you going to find, with a warranty and a decent linen wrap, that is going to be better at that price? (Not arguing, just asking.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes they suck! I might change my avatar after trying to play with that šŸ’© Viking is selling last night. They play nothing like my regular Viking cues. They are stiff and s$&@$y. My friend has them as his house cues. I forgot my cue yesterday and thought-ā€œwell itā€™s not so bad. He has Viking house cuesā€. I was definitely wrong on that one. I would take a McDermott Star or other lower tier McDermott over Valhalla line any day of the week. And I hate McDermott cues.

if you want a Viking cue do not buy a Valhalla line. Itā€™s definitely not a Viking. I hope all their cues donā€™t play like this now. Iā€™m trying to get a custom built for me right now from them. Just waiting on the price. Their custom shops backed up because of the peak pool season.
Iā€™m not familiar with anything Viking has built since the 80ā€™s. But I can say that one of the best hitting cues I ever used was a Viking. Guy loaned it to me in Salt Lake City in 87-88. Was orange and white-man it played good, ugliest cue ever(maybe). But wow what a cue, he knew it, everyone did. Wasnā€™t for sale at any number lol.

good luck, get something that plays better, donā€™t matter who makes it. It if plays good itā€™s a good cue. If it plays bad , itā€™s a bad cue. Sometimes ya never know.

best
Fatboy

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I used to manage a pool hall part time and we sold a ton of them. So I have a different opinion than yours. I actually think you cannot beat them for the money. And I do think they hit better than the McDermott Star cues. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee on the shaft for warpage, which the Star does not.

BUT... The stock tip is absolutely horrible. I put a G2 med on my gf's and I think it hits really nice. So all in it was like $95.

What cue are you going to find, with a warranty and a decent linen wrap, that is going to be better at that price? (Not arguing, just asking.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iā€™m just looking for opinions. Mine is the Valhalla line sucks. Yours is they are great for the money and can hit nice. But as I stated Iā€™ve always shot with a Viking and love them. Was just hoping for a hit similar to what I am used to. Are they trying to make them less deflection or something?

Also Iā€™m a bit biased when used to how my 35 year old and 15 year old Vikings hit. The 35 year old cue got a new/updated Viking joint in 2004 because they no longer carried brass pins. Btw the brass pin was better IMHO

My friend probably has the stock tips on there too.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thing is you get a solid shot with good feedback off the lower line McDermottā€™s that Iā€™ve tried. My girlfriend has a star. Itā€™s a bit stiff but you get good feedback. I think the last lucky line I tried was a little whippy with a good hit. The whippy ones seem to warp easier. I could be wrong on todayā€™s lucky line though too

Roger, my first glance told me the Valhalla line was sub-$100, second look tells me I'm wrong as they seem to be in the $150-$200 range. In that case, I would expect the cue to play a bit better.

That being said, I would probably shy away from any of the "value" brands the mass producers sell and stick to their main line of cues.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iā€™m just looking for opinions. Mine is the Valhalla line sucks. Yours is they are great for the money and can hit nice. But as I stated Iā€™ve always shot with a Viking and love them. Was just hoping for a hit similar to what I am used to. Are they trying to make them less deflection or something?

Also Iā€™m a bit biased when used to how my 35 year old and 15 year old Vikings hit. The 35 year old cue got a new/updated Viking joint in 2004 because they no longer carried brass pins. Btw the brass pin was better IMHO

My friend probably has the stock tips on there too.

I currently play with 3 different cues, all Hueblers and all are pushing 30 years old. I've purchased newer stuff in the past few years but I always go back to the old stuff ;)

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I currently play with 3 different cues, all Hueblers and all are pushing 30 years old. I've purchased newer stuff in the past few years but I always go back to the old stuff ;)
Me too! I use the newer one more often than the older one. It actually has a better sound to it. Maybe even a better hit, but for some reason with the older one i just play better. Maybe the taper?

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Funny thing about my last post Chili. The butt on my older one has a slight warp(the forearm actually). from back when they had those imperial box cases. Didnā€™t Imperial know the butt/shaft werenā€™t straight? Well they probably did because then the started making them with the liner cue cutouts instead of just the 2 sides in the box. Still hits better than Valhalla!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too! I use the newer one more often than the older one. It actually has a better sound to it. Maybe even a better hit, but for some reason with the older one i just play better. Maybe the taper?
Iā€™ve always said that older cues tend to play better and old wood cues play better. Iā€™ll live and die by that belief. Some disagree-Iā€™m not mad at them, I feel bad for them

best
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing about my last post Chili. The butt on my older one has a slight warp(the forearm actually). from back when they had those imperial box cases. Didnā€™t Imperial know the butt/shaft werenā€™t straight? Well they probably did because then the started making them with the liner cue cutouts instead of just the 2 sides in the box. Still hits better than Valhalla!
Iā€™ve told this story a few times.

At mosconi cup one year in the practice room I rolled Johnny archers cue on the table. The ferrel was lifting up off the slate bed 1mm Iā€™d guess. It was that bad. He went 6-0 that year. Straight cues are over ratedā€¦ā€¦

Best
Fatboy

To his credit he did have a Triangle Tip so all wasnā€™t bad with that cuešŸ˜‰

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Owning your own pool cue for some players can be more functional than emotional.
If you buy a cue because of its appearance, or cue maker, that falls within the latter.
When you acquire a cue because it has the specifications you want, thatā€™s the former.
But when your get your cue because it has both, thatā€™s just making sure you are happy.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Iā€™ll use one of those fake carbon fiber Walmart shafts with the screw on tip over the Valhalla. I even have one in my cue case. It screws right onto the Viking butt and really turns some heads!