Pool Table @ Home Question

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I am going to be purchasing my first 9-ft table soon (used). I will be replacing the cushions and the cloth for sure. I have been playing for several years - mainly on Brunswicks.

Most people in my hall tell me to either get a used Gold Crown or Diamond and stay away from other stuff.

But I have found some used tables online that are neither GCs or Diamonds - from brands I have never heard of. I like the looks of some of them too.

So do you think there is a huge difference between a used GC/Diamond with "premium" cushions and cloth, over a non-tournament-rated table with the same cushions and cloth?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I am going to be purchasing my first 9-ft table soon (used). I will be replacing the cushions and the cloth for sure. I have been playing for several years - mainly on Brunswicks.

Most people in my hall tell me to either get a used Gold Crown or Diamond and stay away from other stuff.

But I have found some used tables online that are neither GCs or Diamonds - from brands I have never heard of. I like the looks of some of them too.

So do you think there is a huge difference between a used GC/Diamond with "premium" cushions and cloth, over a non-tournament-rated table with the same cushions and cloth?
Yes. Diamond and Gold Crowns are solidly engineered and constructed commercial grade tables designed to handle years of constant use. Do you have examples of the tables you are referring to? They most likely are not build as solidly as a Diamond or Gold Crown and most likely use inferior materials.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hi,

It's likely the table you get you're going to have for many many years so be sure to get what you actually want. I have a couple of tables but one is a gold crown that I've had over 40 years and likely will pass on to somebody else when I die. If you amateurize the amount of use you get out of a home table the cost is almost nothing.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
There are a lot of good tables. I don't think you need to stay away from other stuff. If it's going in your house, you won't be disappointed with almost anything. That said, Diamond is pretty much the gold standard for tables here in the states the days (see what I did there!). GC is also very good. But saying "Porsche and Ferrari" [or whatever] are the best, doesn't mean you can't get a great car for less money.

-td

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Hi,

You have to be very careful with leisure tables (your standard home table) they tend to use a lot of press board/fiber board or whatever you want to call it and when disassembling and reassembling several times the screw holes become oversized and will not hold tight.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

So Diamond and Brunswick are the best tournament tables. I myself can really enjoy any quality American made table. There are several beside the ones already mentioned. Manufacturers such as Oulhasen and Connelly are great choices and they do make "furniture" tables.

I would most definitely stay away from imported tables! Even though China has some ok offerings they are few and far between.

Good luck and happy hunting.

TrxR

So Diamond and Brunswick are the best tournament tables. I myself can really enjoy any quality American made table. There are several beside the ones already mentioned. Manufacturers such as Oulhasen and Connelly are great choices and they do make "furniture" tables.

I would most definitely stay away from imported tables! Even though China has some ok offerings they are few and far between.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Brunswick tables are imports now days, but are probably better than alot of other Chinese imports . Rassons are chinese i believe and seem to have decent name .

Nyquil

Hi,

You can find some good deals if you shop around. What's your budget?

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for responses so far!

To answer some questions:
The tables I have in mind right now (have still not seen them), are:
1) an Olhausen sahara (with 3pc Italian slate I believe)
2) a Brunswick GC3

Brunswick will be close to 2.5x times more expensive than the Olhausen.

I would not want to spend more than 4k for everything (table + new cushions & felt + installation)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be very careful with leisure tables (your standard home table) they tend to use a lot of press board/fiber board or whatever you want to call it and when disassembling and reassembling several times the screw holes become oversized and will not hold tight.
These are wise words.

“The GC for a $1000” is great advice too. I’ve paid $500 for them but they needed a little too much help or were Frankenstein tables-bits and pieces of GC parts to make a GC-avoid that. So that’s why I say the $1000 idea I’d a safe bet with a little knowledge the OP if this thread will get the best GC and do what he plans. That’s the best value. A Diamond will cost lots more but is also a great idea.

Stay away from furniture tables or Gandy Big G tables that “look” good, the quality just isn’t there.

If you really do your homework and learn about tables, yes there are others out there that are good, but hard to find and finding someone to work on them with the same familiarity as a Diamond or GC is a hard trick sometimes too. Which is why we just went full circle back to a GC for a dime or a Diamond. Can’t make a mistake with that choice.

Have fun
Fatboy😀😀

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for responses so far!

To answer some questions:
The tables I have in mind right now (have still not seen them), are:
1) an Olhausen sahara (with 3pc Italian slate I believe)
2) a Brunswick GC3

Brunswick will be close to 2.5x times more expensive than the Olhausen.

I would not want to spend more than 4k for everything (table + new cushions & felt + installation)
You won’t.

I just gave someone a GC 3 for free. Was a favor. It was worth $900 I’d guess. I bought it in 89 for $900. Needed new cushions, cloth setup. Had I sold you that table for $900 you would needed another $1000 and it’s good. $1500 if you wanted to trick it out with powder coating the pedestals & pocket castings.

Impossible to spend $4k on a used GC 1,2,3 installed perfectly done, unless you live on the moon or someone is taking advantage of you.

$2500 all in and your set. Shop around and listen to the guys here. They are smart and honorable. You won’t get robbed. I’m currently not in the table biz. I have been on/off for years.

The help here that’s available will get you the best box for the least $ and let the seller make a few bucks too. Good all the way around.

Best
Fatboy