Thoughts on Quality of Connley Ultimate w/ 2” Slates?

Timkrieger

I’m looking at an original, Arizona built, Connley Ultimate with 2” slate. These original, pre-bankruptcy, tables seem to be really high quality. Anyone have experience or thoughts with these tables?

Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m looking at an original, Arizona built, Connley Ultimate with 2” slate. These original, pre-bankruptcy, tables seem to be really high quality. Anyone have experience or thoughts with these tables?

Thanks!
They were our original pool tables in our poolroom 25+ years ago, then I sold them all 6 years later and replaced with Gabriel’s Signature Pro tables which I’ve been very happy with. Connelly Ultimate is a very solid playing table with the exception of these 4 issues listed below:

1) The balls often popped back on the table off the back of the RC Designs leather pockets they came with.

2) Leather drop pockets on tables in a commercial setting wear out and need replacing.

3). Hardwood rail tops and hardwood aprons in a commercial setting get dinged / scratched / dented up and need refinishing.

4) 2” thick slate made it incredibly easy to jump balls, but due to the thick dense slate, the cue ball is apt to jump a second/third time after landing, resulting in balls too easily bouncing and often coming off the table, especially on break shots.

Nyquil

I looked at one before I bought my diamond. The wood was pretty hammered all over the place so I passed. It was all disassembled but the slates were absolutely massive. The mechanic said he will never move another one again. I think they look awesome if it wasn't so beat up I prob would have bought it.

Searingfan1965

Overkill and a beast of a table.. The balls role so true , And super quiet coming off the rails.. Trust me if you can get your hands on one you will not be disappointed!!

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
I sold them for about 20 years. My Company was Connellys largest dealer for 11-12 years and we sold alot of Ultimates. I have one in my Basement and I can say it plays better than any table I've played on including my 3 piece 1.25 inch slate Diamond. At 2400 lbs it's a monster. I'd only recommend the Ultimate in a 6 leg model.

Timkrieger

I sold them for about 20 years. My Company was Connellys largest dealer for 11-12 years and we sold alot of Ultimates. I have one in my Basement and I can say it plays better than any table I've played on including my 3 piece 1.25 inch slate Diamond. At 2400 lbs it's a monster. I'd only recommend the Ultimate in a 6 leg model.
Thanks, appreciate all the feedback. The one I’m looking at is 6 legs. You know what the pocket measurements were, standard 5” in corners?

Timkrieger

They were our original pool tables in our poolroom 25+ years ago, then I sold them all 6 years later and replaced with Gabriel’s Signature Pro tables which I’ve been very happy with. Connelly Ultimate is a very solid playing table with the exception of these 4 issues listed below:

1) The balls often popped back on the table off the back of the RC Designs leather pockets they came with.

2) Leather drop pockets on tables in a commercial setting wear out and need replacing.

3). Hardwood rail tops and hardwood aprons in a commercial setting get dinged / scratched / dented up and need refinishing.

4) 2” thick slate made it incredibly easy to jump balls, but due to the thick dense slate, the cue ball is apt to jump a second/third time after landing, resulting in balls too easily bouncing and often coming off the table, especially on break shots.
Thanks for the feedback! I hate pockets that spit balls out. It should sound and feel like a catchers mit. I never jump myself, I prefer kicking, so not a concern there, but I tend to lose the cue off normal tables on the break sometimes from hitting down accidentally. Are they standard 5” pockets in the corners?

Timkrieger

Overkill and a beast of a table.. The balls role so true , And super quiet coming off the rails.. Trust me if you can get your hands on one you will not be disappointed!!
Yes, I noticed the balls just silently glided around the table and off the cushions. Wasn’t sure if that was my imagination because you don’t think of any table as making noise, but this was different.

Nyquil

Yes, I noticed the balls just silently glided around the table and off the cushions. Wasn’t sure if that was my imagination because you don’t think of any table as making noise, but this was different.
How much are they asking for the table? Just curious. Also if you get this please post some pics these things are gorgeous.

Nyquil

Throw a pic up. Would love to see it.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I bet it's sturdy AF. My only concern would be moving that heavy SOB, lol. And if the pockets are "furniture table-esque" or not.

I never see any comments on pocket size or angles.

Nyquil

I’ll find out the final price and definitely post pics if I get it.
Just wondering cause the guy I was gonna buy from if I remember correctly wanted 6,500 I think and that was with a rail refinish installed etc. I have no idea how much these go for these days. Don't see many come up for sale.

Timkrieger

There’s one, same model, on eBay now for $8,900. Of course, doesn’t mean someone will pay that, but never know, I do think they are hard to find recently and sounds like they are high quality.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe in the 9-foot 2” slate Ultimate models, they all came with 6 legs.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback! I hate pockets that spit balls out. It should sound and feel like a catchers mit. I never jump myself, I prefer kicking, so not a concern there, but I tend to lose the cue off normal tables on the break sometimes from hitting down accidentally. Are they standard 5” pockets in the corners?
Yes, I believe they came with 5 inch pockets, but if it’s a used table, there’s no telling if the pocket specs may have been altered. I’m guessing they stopped making this table 10+ years ago, possibly even 15-20 years ago, so I would be real careful to check out the condition of the table, pockets, cushions, etc.