Not getting any better?!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DUDE! I have enough trouble winning as it is!

League is going on break so I'll have more time to rebuild my game instead of just wanting the quickest improvement. My stroke could use a lot of work, too.

I definitely think cue ball control should be a priority. I can set up easier shots instead of trying to keep the ball in a productive area and taking what I can. One of the biggest examples of my need for more control is that when I am shooting a ball on the other end of the table, I struggle to keep the ball down there. When I go for a safety, a lot of times the cue ball rolls a little too far, making it a lot less effective. I'm going to start looking for safety opportunities and think of hooking a guy good as just as valuable as dropping a ball.
DUDE! LOL! Matt knows exactly what I mean, as do the other instructors who post here. We've been down this road before. Best of luck with your game.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
But this is a forum. Other people might benefit from your written answer. Why not help others with an answer posted here rather than turn it into a private lesson? Is it really that impossible to answer a question without turning it into a private lesson?
In this case, 45 minutes of chat at 150 w.p.m. is a 6,750 word post not including diagrams I'd rather show on a table than create on my PC. The lesson would also allow the student to interact and ask questions.

I'd like to add that I see your concern, but I don't rely on pool lessons for income, and often offer free lessons because unlike golfers or tennis buffs, the average pool player avoids instructor lessons, and I want them to feel comfortable. I enjoy teaching pool a great deal. I have a young player I've been giving free lessons for months--he also found me here at AZ. We're both happy--he is going to league nights on a regular basis winning every game and has been invited to several good tournaments and teams due to strong play.

I do understand your concern about people trolling for paid lessons. If I can help someone concisely with their game, I post here at AZ. If you feel that offering free lessons is inappropriate because it hurts other teachers who do only paid lessons, please let me know.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
DUDE! I have enough trouble winning as it is!

League is going on break so I'll have more time to rebuild my game instead of just wanting the quickest improvement. My stroke could use a lot of work, too.

I definitely think cue ball control should be a priority. I can set up easier shots instead of trying to keep the ball in a productive area and taking what I can. One of the biggest examples of my need for more control is that when I am shooting a ball on the other end of the table, I struggle to keep the ball down there. When I go for a safety, a lot of times the cue ball rolls a little too far, making it a lot less effective. I'm going to start looking for safety opportunities and think of hooking a guy good as just as valuable as dropping a ball.
We can do a cue ball control lesson if desired, but many, many times a student has gone down a handicap point or two without any mechanical changes, simply from shot selection.

You may be an exception--but many students have said they run 5, 6 or 7 in Eight Ball consistently, and also leave consistently leave themselves poor shots after. Some have said "I've never run 8-and-out in a decade" and were able to do so after a shot selection lesson. Max Eberle has some great videos in this regard and I'd be happy to do a free lesson(s) on shot selection, cue ball control or both, whatever it takes.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can do a cue ball control lesson if desired, but many, many times a student has gone down a handicap point or two without any mechanical changes, simply from shot selection.

You may be an exception--but many students have said they run 5, 6 or 7 in Eight Ball consistently, and also leave consistently leave themselves poor shots after. Some have said "I've never run 8-and-out in a decade" and were able to do so after a shot selection lesson. Max Eberle has some great videos in this regard and I'd be happy to do a free lesson(s) on shot selection, cue ball control or both, whatever it takes.
Have you read anything that Tomatoshooter has written? Heres a couple of examples. "I try to play a safe and the CB rolls too far", "When I shoot a shot at the other end of the table I can't keep the CB down there.
Do you think his problem is running 5-7 balls but can't get out?

tomatoshooter

Hey, I'm the perfect student, my game needs improvement everywhere! I did the sequential stop shot drill again after slacking for a couple of weeks and wow! I could not believe how much that brought back my shotmaking. I thought I was in a slump and needed to back off for a couple of weeks. I definitely think shot selection will help if it obviates the need to take a long shot and park the ball. The thing is it seems like every layout will only offer one high percentage shot at a time if I'm lucky. And that shot doesn't lend itself to position. Since my pool table has the same number of balls and is the same size as the rest, it's either something I'm doing or the mummy's curse. Either way, I've got to power though it.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Have you read anything that Tomatoshooter has written? Heres a couple of examples. "I try to play a safe and the CB rolls too far", "When I shoot a shot at the other end of the table I can't keep the CB down there.
Do you think his problem is running 5-7 balls but can't get out?
I read what he wrote and the issues are related/relative.

You know, for example, that with optimal shot selection, you give yourself more margin of error for a rolling cue ball (i.e. rolling along the next shot line instead of cutting across it).

I also pledged to look at both shot selection and cue ball control, to help.

Thank you.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read what he wrote and the issues are related/relative.

You know, for example, that with optimal shot selection, you give yourself more margin of error for a rolling cue ball (i.e. rolling along the next shot line instead of cutting across it).

I also pledged to look at both shot selection and cue ball control, to help.

Thank you.
That is not shot selection, that is choosing position paths. They are indirectly related but again, is that going to help a player at his level?
You want to teach him to write an essay when what he needs is guidance on spelling and forming a legible sentence.

Reactions: bbb

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
That is not shot selection, that is choosing position paths. They are indirectly related but again, is that going to help a player at his level?
You want to teach him to write an essay when what he needs is guidance on spelling and forming a legible sentence.
Actually, a good player is trained to see three different possible routes/choices for the upcoming shot and then selects from among them.

I am speaking from experience, a lot of APA 3s-6s, for example, often run 5 or 6 in Eight Ball but fail to finish the rack--and have the physical ability to do so but struggle with shot selection/shot sequence/position play.