Disassembling GC IV Baseframe Issues?

bigB

Registered
I am in the process of building a house and am trying to mentally prepare myself to move my GC IV to the new house. When we moved into our current house, we left the baseframe intact (did not take it apart) and it took 4 or 5 guys to get it moved into my current pool room. However, in the new house the pool room will be upstairs, but I do not believe that we'll be able to get the baseframe upstairs if it's intact due to the narrow turn that we'll have to make to get up there.

Are there any issues or pitfalls that I need to be aware of if I disassemble it for the move? I would hate to mess it up and have leveling issues if I don't get it right.

Thanks,
Brian

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
They are built well and are clearly marked to go back together easily. A lil wax or soap on the dowels never hurt. Good luck with your new table!

TFT
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_01.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_02.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_03.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_04.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_05.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_06.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_07.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_08.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_09.jpg
Gold_Crown_IV_1998_Page_10.jpg

coolidge

EXPLODED view of my GC IV. Drove a couple hours north with a 6x12 Uhaul trailer when I bought this. My buddy and I went Nascar pit crew on it with wrenches, a cordless impact driver and cordless drill, and rubber mallet and had it apart in 20 minutes. I cut the cloth off and pulled the staples later.

I carried all the pieces from my garage into the house solo no problem none are that heavy. It's Mahogany which is much lighter weight vs say Maple or Oak.

Note the dowels are tapered so once you tap the pieces loose with a rubber mallet a bit you can just wiggle them apart.

You will need a larger Phillips head screw driver or better yet a bit for your cordless drill to remove LARGE screws that attach the slate to the frame. Grab 2-3 ziploc bags for the bolts and screws.

Slap some blue painters tape on the slate and number them 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 so you can reassemble them back in the same order. The previous installer used bondo for the slate seams which I scored with a utility knife, it came apart at the score line like sheet rock.

Missing Parts - Mine was missing 4 of the T nuts that attach the rails to the pocket castings which I had to order from Classic Billiards. Also was missing one of the large rail to slate star washers, again got those at Classic Billiards. Examine the 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch washers, mine were bent to hell (bent into a cupped shape) from someone over tightening. I grabbed a couple fistful of new washers at my local hardware store. The quickset levelers were also missing half the 8/32 set screws. I upgraded to stainless. A very good idea to run an 8/32 tap through all 8 tapped holes to clean up the threads, and a good time to clean the crud off the lazy susan quickset levelers. Somewhere @realkingcobra is laughing at this. :ROFLMAO:

gcpro01.jpg

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
EXPLODED view of my GC IV. Drove a couple hours north with a 6x12 Uhaul trailer when I bought this. My buddy and I went Nascar pit crew on it with wrenches, a cordless impact driver and cordless drill, and rubber mallet and had it apart in 20 minutes. I cut the cloth off and pulled the staples later.

I carried all the pieces from my garage into the house solo no problem none are that heavy. It's Mahogany which is much lighter weight vs say Maple or Oak.

Note the dowels are tapered so once you tap the pieces loose with a rubber mallet a bit you can just wiggle them apart.

You will need a larger Phillips head screw driver or better yet a bit for your cordless drill to remove LARGE screws that attach the slate to the frame. Grab 2-3 ziploc bags for the bolts and screws.

Slap some blue painters tape on the slate and number them 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 so you can reassemble them back in the same order. The previous installer used bondo for the slate seams which I scored with a utility knife, it came apart at the score line like sheet rock.

Missing Parts - Mine was missing 4 of the T nuts that attach the rails to the pocket castings which I had to order from Classic Billiards. Also was missing one of the large rail to slate star washers, again got those at Classic Billiards. Examine the 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch washers, mine were bent to hell (bent into a cupped shape) from someone over tightening. I grabbed a couple fistful of new washers at my local hardware store. The quickset levelers were also missing half the 8/32 set screws. I upgraded to stainless. A very good idea to run an 8/32 tap through all 8 tapped holes to clean up the threads, and a good time to clean the crud off the lazy susan quickset levelers. Somewhere @realkingcobra is laughing at this. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 624477
looks CLEAN! Looking forward to seeing your outcome! :)

TFT