Practice practice practice

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Don't take your self out while in your chair. Neil demonstrate that. My opponent gifted me the game because he had taken himself out when I broke and ran a difficult rack....uh to the nine.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
While it's fun to recognize and identify with the success, I can as well understand and had a long path of the almost near misses. Mark Williams seemed to be in a place I recognize when he took his last shot. The attempt on the masse/ hop shot. While jumping is not allowed in snooker incidental ;) hop is ok. Maintenance of the pace/rhythm must have over ridden the need for thought and contemplating/ while careful application of THE chalk. Been there done that.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The Fingers:
Loved the actual news story of the 80+ year old goat milker and the pervert/attempt. Held him by the balls until the police got there.
Robertson demonstrate the finger strength.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The Finger Flute:
I hope to have the platform and mechanical delivery system in the larger muscle groups, nailed. Exactly the same every time. This facilitating the entry to The Zone. On delivery of the cue. Putting the ring finger in charge comes from Barry Stark. That is my latest ah hah moment. That however is just one component. All fingers are capable. Waiting for the ring finger is part of my natural pause. After almost 50 years, my index finger doesn't like giving up the presidency. All fingers are allowed input after the ring finger. Slight little pressure s can be applied that change every so slightly the result. In the Zone it's all done subconsciously (for me).
The Focus:
Jim Ward gave me incredible lessons. One of which was handing me a defeat in the neighborhood of 13-4. He put 3 or 4 on me then locked me up. Ran to 7 before I got a shot. I got 4 and wobble an 6 ball.( Slightest pressure miss) He merciful ly took it out.
Ok his focus; another time or perhaps at this same event. On Saturday,(the first day) It was someone s birthday. When the birthday boy finished his match on table 2. A stripper with a boom box set up and started to dance at the foot of table 2. Jim was in the middle of a match on 3. She was well into a dance with all eyes, well except for Jim. He sank the 9 and looked around for his opponent, to rack. Then he noticed the dancer. Talk about the zone!!!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Delivery of the object ball to the pocket and delivery of the cue ball to the dime all goes back to deliver of the cue tip to the ball. My best results come when I can focus on the path Through the cue ball.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
More study material:
I get satisfaction when my thoughts match those of an accomplished player.
In this interview Ronnie mentioned study of Higgins and Robertson. Kind of made me feel validated as those are the two I have been studying in viewing the DAZN archive s. I want to get the most from my one month subscription😉.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Popping up like a cork, was something I was known for when struggling.(not found the zone.....yet) While following Willie Mosconi that is. Now watching the cue tip pass through the ball. I have no inclination to rise up. If and when I start to feel like coming up, I have the solution. Part of my self annalasis. I watch the players in the seat as closely as the shooter. Never know when I might get a valuable nugget. I guess prospecting should be in the header.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Self valid that Ronnie is still prospecting. Another merit badge. Uh to be put in the vault and not mention. 😉

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ok the John Schmidt story:
Race to 2 template rack 9 ball. Seven foot Diamond. I got the break and hit the 9 ball break I had perfected. As he racket again I got the quizzical look . Teee he. I got him on the second with a lucky break and run to a lock up safety and win for the first set. Probably $75 first 35 second. My excuse is...... I support pool and it's players. I had no incentive. 🤷 it didn't matter. He won the second.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
On a roll:
My longest roll was leaving Reno. Had fuel for the 200 mile trip back to Redding. Walking out of the Cal-Neva at about 6 AM. Put my last dollar on the don't (I had read the book). Proceeded to roll numbers for 25 minutes. The only other player at the table had all the numbers covered with black chips with Max bets and odds. I finally made my point. Had to relinquish the dice. Mr huge stack now didn't flip me a dollar to keep rolling. The pit boss who had seen it all literally. Probably at least.. well he was old. Leaned to the stick man and said, "That's the second longest run I have seen.
So I certainly don't mind being Mr Second Place.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The Finger Flute:
I hope to have the platform and mechanical delivery system in the larger muscle groups, nailed. Exactly the same every time. This facilitating the entry to The Zone. On delivery of the cue. Putting the ring finger in charge comes from Barry Stark. That is my latest ah hah moment. That however is just one component. All fingers are capable. Waiting for the ring finger is part of my natural pause. After almost 50 years, my index finger doesn't like giving up the presidency. All fingers are allowed input after the ring finger. Slight little pressure s can be applied that change every so slightly the result. In the Zone it's all done subconsciously (for me).
Thank you so much for this! I've felt like my backhand has been causing me more trouble than usual lately. I've been paying attention to the ring finger and all I can say is WOW! If you're addressing the CB correctly, the ring finger definitely has something to it. It even works on elevated shots and jump shots. I don't think it's the finger that does anything, but if you're holding the cue correctly it is the part that has the "feel" of the cue.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Thank you so much for this! I've felt like my backhand has been causing me more trouble than usual lately. I've been paying attention to the ring finger and all I can say is WOW! If you're addressing the CB correctly, the ring finger definitely has something to it. It even works on elevated shots and jump shots. I don't think it's the finger that does anything, but if you're holding the cue correctly it is the part that has the "feel" of the cue.
Barry Stark on the grip is pure gold. All of his numbered posts to YouTube are of great value. Oops I see there's one I haven't viewed yet.
The inverted goat milker would be what I call my method. 😉 While I have never milked a goat, much to the delight of the barn cats I was taught how to milk a cow. A gentle squeeze with the proper rythem can result in a shot that can reach the other side of the barn.
My reviews of the Snooker Masters provide occasional view of the hand action of the champion s. It's my opinion that Niel Robertsons ability to deliver incredible power with an apparently effortless stroke, can be traced to the hand action.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Practice is morning calisthenics:
Colin's variation is my scales as I always start piano practice with.
Once I find center ball.. then flavor variations are initiated to produce doubles. With the scratch paying double. Perhaps the most annoying thing I habitually used to give a gentleman ly needle. By saying, "in Australia that pays double!" The left hand has the record with 3 consecutive and 4 in an inning.....I think 😉

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
So that would give 9 points in an inning with 8 being pots only record. Which doesn't translate to any Fargo system..... I hope.;)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Practice records thankfully don't translate to competition record s, well competition is on the right side of the scale.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Stand By Me question:
Who would win in a fight, Zorro or Raging Bull?
The Raging Bull just did 714. Zorro just won The Masters. How to find a level field.
Ronnie tangled with Efren in a friendly tustle. His account, (if I remember correctly) was Efren won and he didn't want to do it again. 😉