Cnc vs non Cnc cues other questions

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever seen a cuemaker use a Panto?

I don’t know what your definition of “by hand” is, but it doesn’t sound like it.

If you’re ever down in this area, I’ll take you by Chris’s shop. It’s pretty damn amazing what he can do with that silly thing. By hand…

Regardless though, as I said, there’s nothing whatsoever wrong with the use of CNC in cuemaking. One way isn’t any better than the other. Just a different methodology…

Chris Nitti is a great cue maker and so I'm not going to put him or any other cue maker down who uses a pantograph because I consider it on the same plane as CNC. if you have an imagination you can do great things with it. You're tracing a shape with a stylus and a mechanical arm is doing the actual cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Nitti is a great cue maker and so I'm not going to put him or any other cue maker down who uses a pantograph because I consider it on the same plane as CNC. if you have an imagination you can do great things with it. You're tracing a shape with a stylus and a mechanical arm is doing the actual cutting.

Chris Nitti could build cues with a dull bush ax and they would still play great.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your an idiot Joey, don’t try standup comedy you will starve to death.

Remember work at Rock Ket Engineering in the late 60’s we built part for fighter keys for war at time.

CNC was so much better then machinist try to do one operation at time.

We could hold tolerances of plus or minus couple of thousands.

Get technology.
there was no such thing as CNC in the 60's,,,,,,,,,,,,,

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was no such thing as CNC in the 60's,,,,,,,,,,,,,

c774cf607af3fb3c9f75cf0b0a30f019.png

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
046f66785144c60ae95dfc9bde288238.png

All of this article is at best mentioning CNC programming, using mainframe computers , big ass ones, to write code punched on paper 8 track binary tape to be run on NC machines. True CNC, Computerized Numerically Controlled stand alone machine tools could not exist until the late 70's when the small 8 bit individual computers were designed, so late 70's at best when true CNC machine tools hit shop floors. I know, I was there, I used them for 46 years.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is now nano technology cnc machines that can mill to a mirror finish, or turn using frequencies and technologies to counteract the vibration frequencies of the part being turned. They are now so accurate, that the material itself is not capable of maintaining the geometry that was cut into it. All that aside, will not make the cue play better because it was made on a nano meter capable machining centre. The basics still need to be right, and they need to be what the person who is buying the cue likes, the customer. All people are different, so what may seem like a great hitting to one person , may be a piece of junk to another. New materials, new techniques are required. The cues get developed all the time. There was a point in time that anything but a 1 piece cue was considered to be an inferior cue. Then spliced handles came along as they made a better hitting cue etc etc. The tools used to create are almost not important. The skill and the ingenuity of the maker is another thing all together. 3d printing and nano carbon tube technology is going to be the whole next level in years to come for sure. There is still a lot of basic things that have not be sorted yet, but they will be. Then comes the skill to be able to use the technology is a way that has not been done before. That will sort the next level of players as well.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any cue maker worth a damn uses a CNC machine to some degree.

That statement is definitely over the top. There are many great cuemakers who have zero CNC equipment in their shop. Most top cuemakers use CNC but not all. Gilbert, Schick, Samsara, Schrager and Nitti have all turned put great cues without CNC. I built cues myself that sold for thousands of dollars without a CNC machine in my shop. I now have two CNC machines in my cue shop and two more in my machine shop.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That statement is definitely over the top. There are many great cuemakers who have zero CNC equipment in their shop. Most top cuemakers use CNC but not all. Gilbert, Schick, Samsara, Schrager and Nitti have all turned put great cues without CNC. I built cues myself that sold for thousands of dollars without a CNC machine in my shop. I now have two CNC machines in my cue shop and two more in my machine shop.
Samsara has no CNC?
They openly mentioned their great CNC taper machine.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jimi Hendrix is a legend but if he were to come out today would he stand out from today's virtuosos? Probably not. Yes I realize there are tons of good cue makers who make nice cues without the use of a CNC.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That statement is definitely not true. There are many great cuemakers who have zero cnc equipment in their shop. Most top cuemakers use cnc but not all.
Samsara has no CNC?
They openly mentioned their great CNC taper machine.
They might now, but those $10,000 very fancy cues from a couple of decades ago were done without cnc.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They might now, but those $10,000 very fancy cues from a couple of decades ago were done without cnc.
Thomas Wayne, himself, said he was very impressed by the cnc Samsara had in their shop.
I don't know when they got them though .

The most impressive cue that was done on manual machine ( to me , anyway ) was Judd's Dream Catcher cue .
His wife, Trudy, did all the panto work.
Used to see them in the 90's before they moved to Colorado .

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am one of those people who says "I will never buy a cue made with a CNC machine"...

Now, why I say that...I prefer a nice sharp point as opposed to a round top.

You can add Ned Morris to that list also, no CNC machine, I've seen his shop and he's very proud of that fact.