Got my table in the house today.

$1000 just to level? Is that "off" to anyone else?

It's been 20 years but I paid $300 to have a 9-foot, 3-piece slate Brunswick, with returns; disassembled, moved 40 miles, leveled, and reassembled with new cloth.

Last edited:
$1,000 to just level a table is ridiculous. OP... take you time watch some YouTube videos on how to do it and start having fun running racks in the comfort of your own home.

Good luck.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
I’m getting mine set up professionally again this spring. The concrete floor is cracked under itand sunk a bit. I just re leveled it the other day. Couldn’t get it perfect without shimming, so I leveled as best I could for now without shimming anything and adjusted after by rolling balls across it. Works fine for the time being until I get money together to get a pro out again. You should be able to set yours up pretty good with your machinist level and some time. Then if you aren’t happy, it’s probably not that much to have someone else adjust it for you.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I will attempt to do about anything myself...with varying results of course. I've done dozens of "never done it before" car repairs, building projects, plumbing, electrical, upholstery, excavation, tree trimming, pie baking, shoe repair and blacksmithing.

Setting up my own table is one of the easiest of all. No doubt it took me 8 times as long as a Pro but so what? I'm sure it isn't $1000 good but it's better than any result I've got by paying someone.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gravey39

If you can't get it done yourself, I can give you the name of a the guy who did mine. He won't be free but he won't be $1,000, either. He's out of Lincoln, but I know a couple people in the Omaha area, as well.
Okay awesome. I’ll attempt it myself then if I fail miserably. I’ll sent you a message and get that information.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It was $100 cash lol. I felt like with the 1” slate That was worth it alone. When he had it set up. The table played very well too. I was surprised.

Enjoy you table, don’t let AZB 💩 head bust your🥜.

1645058048520.png

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$1000 just to level? Is that "off" to anyone else?

It's been 20 years but I paid $300 to have a 9-foot, 3-piece slate Brunswick, with returns; disassembled, moved 40 miles, leveled, and reassembled with new cloth.
It’s on the triple high side

Way off the reservation

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yeah I thought so too. I asked two separate places. I’ll be glade to share the company.
I'm guessing that was Alkar? They're the worst, but pretty much the only game in town now. I've had so many bad experiences there over the years, but I keep going back because I'm stupid.

Gravey39

I'm guessing that was Alkar? They're the worst, but pretty much the only game in town now. I've had so many bad experiences there over the years, but I keep going back because I'm stupid.
No some company I saw on Facebook called solo. I never heard back from alkar. I have felt already so they weren’t using any kind of felt either.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard of the American Billiard Installers Association but the website has SOLO all over it so maybe it's something they made up? From what I gather, it appears SOLO is a broker linking installers (purposely didn't use mechanic) with customers (suckers). This is most likely why the cost is so high. The installer has their fee and SOLO doubles or triples it to get their cut. If you are interested in an accurate quote, head down to your local room and ask the manager or owner who services their tables, contact them and have them come out and give a quote. It shouldn't be more than $500 to setup, level and install new cloth (mechanic provided).

Gravey39

I've never heard of the American Billiard Installers Association but the website has SOLO all over it so maybe it's something they made up? From what I gather, it appears SOLO is a broker linking installers (purposely didn't use mechanic) with customers (suckers). This is most likely why the cost is so high. The installer has their fee and SOLO doubles or triples it to get their cut. If you are interested in an accurate quote, head down to your local room and ask the manager or owner who services their tables, contact them and have them come out and give a quote. It shouldn't be more than $500 to setup, level and install new cloth (mechanic provided).
I went ahead and leveled it by myself. Took me a few hours. But I ended up getting the hang of it. Having a machinist level made it a lot easier. I’d set the slate just slightly higher with the shim and used the screw to draw it down into level. Took me several passes but once I got the hang of it. It became easy. Now it’s time to try the cloth. I have a air stapler so that’ll make it easier on the wrist. I’ve watched several videos and I’m pretty confident that I can get it done correct. I’ve re upholstered several couches and chairs. After I leveled it, I rolled a few balls around to make sure it didn’t lean any sort of way and all the balls rolled straight.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went ahead and leveled it by myself. Took me a few hours. But I ended up getting the hang of it. Having a machinist level made it a lot easier. I’d set the slate just slightly higher with the shim and used the screw to draw it down into level. Took me several passes but once I got the hang of it. It became easy. Now it’s time to try the cloth. I have a air stapler so that’ll make it easier on the wrist. I’ve watched several videos and I’m pretty confident that I can get it done correct. I’ve re upholstered several couches and chairs. After I leveled it, I rolled a few balls around to make sure it didn’t lean any sort of way and all the balls rolled straight.
Nice! What did you use to fill the seams and screw holes? Will this table be in a temperature controlled room or will it live in the garage?

Gravey39

Nice! What did you use to fill the seams and screw holes? Will this table be in a temperature controlled room or will it live in the garage?
In my basement which isn’t finished but it does have air return and air vents installed since I’m going to be finishing it. But I used bondo, I read a post on here and therealkingcobra was talking about bondo being the best. I put a piece of paper over the bolts before applying bondo inside them.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my basement which isn’t finished but it does have air return and air vents installed since I’m going to be finishing it. But I used bondo, I read a post on here and therealkingcobra was talking about bondo being the best. I put a piece of paper over the bolts before applying bondo inside them.
Perfect!