Pool Ball Collecting.

mrpiper

Registered
0396bc437b8d2169e143d425990ae3b5.jpg
I saw and really like this Cue Ball. I think it would look really good with a set of Centennials in place of the blue dot ball.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I saw and really like this Cue Ball. I think it would look really good with a set of Centennials in place of the blue dot ball.
I like where your heads at!

There's something about playing with the new blue measle too, it's just so fitting on the tourney blue cloth. Sooths some of my ocd maybe haha

MurrayNevada

I was looking at these online and I got the impression they were either magnetic or oversized for Barbox play. I do like them.

mrpiper

Registered
I was looking at these online and I got the impression they were either magnetic or oversized for Barbox play. I do like them.
Agreed. I almost bought one but I will show my ignorance here. The description said they work with a "smart table" and while I have no idea what that is, it sounded like an altered ball so I passed. I wanted it based on style though.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Using them for the first time this weekend at a big tournament (120 Diamond tables). Never seen them prior. In high likeliness these balls are junk, it's hard to tell on the ultra-slick cloth... They have typical "cheap ball" characteristics (light weight?) . They don't take top spin/follow well, side english deflects to no end, rolled touch shots don't transfer momentum unto object ball well.. YMMV. I should take one home and try it on my Simonis, then I could be more definite.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using them for the first time this weekend at a big tournament (120 Diamond tables). Never seen them prior. In high likeliness these balls are junk, it's hard to tell on the ultra-slick cloth... They have typical "cheap ball" characteristics (light weight?) . They don't take top spin/follow well, side english deflects to no end, rolled touch shots don't transfer momentum unto object ball well.. YMMV. I should take one home and try it on my Simonis, then I could be more definite.
They're made by Aramith for Diamond. Why would they be junk? Did you weight it? They should be the same composition as the standard Measle Ball.

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this same set and box! I wish I could have the graphic on that box for a poster on my wall! And honestly these are my wife's favorite set. She loves the marbled colors.
Must be a chick thing, my wife always wants to use these when we play together!😄

mrpiper

Registered
They're made by Aramith for Diamond. Why would they be junk? Did you weight it? They should be the same composition as the standard Measle Ball.
The ad for these balls on the Manningcues.com site says they are a replacement for Super Aramith Pro so I suppose that is the construction and quality level, but it has this at the very end... " Designed to work in Smart tables but can be used with any ball sets 2 1/4" in diameter." To me, as I mentioned above, I have no idea what a "smart table" is but that tends to indicate the ball is altered in some way rather than a pure phenolic ball?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ad for these balls on the Manningcues.com site says they are a replacement for Super Aramith Pro so I suppose that is the construction and quality level, but it has this at the very end... " Designed to work in Smart tables but can be used with any ball sets 2 1/4" in diameter." To me, as I mentioned above, I have no idea what a "smart table" is but that tends to indicate the ball is altered in some way rather than a pure phenolic ball?
Did you research what a Diamond Smart Table is? The cue ball is not altered.

mrpiper

Registered
Did you research what a Diamond Smart Table is? The cue ball is not altered.

Thanks for the link. I am a far too lazy complainer for such temporal excursions that cut into my irrelevant commenting time. LOL... Actually I did look that up and somehow the table knows this is not one of the other balls without a magnet... "

Optical Sensor Ball Return​

In 1999, pool table manufacturer Diamond Billiards patented a ball separator mechanism that uses an optical sensor to recognize and separate the cue ball from the object balls. This method is really only found on their “Smart Table” models. Without getting too technical, here’s how it works:

As the balls travel through the ball separator, the optical sensor measures the “optical density” of each ball’s surface. The white cue ball has less optical density than the colored and numbered object balls, so it triggers the sensor, which in turn activates a mechanical ball shunt, diverting the cue ball to a separate track.

But it seems not just any cue ball will work on a smart table... it has to have this particular finish? I don't know. Either way, it's a very good looking cue ball and will probably play just like an SAP ball based on what the Manning ad says.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I am a far too lazy complainer for such temporal excursions that cut into my irrelevant commenting time. LOL... Actually I did look that up and somehow the table knows this is not one of the other balls without a magnet... "

Optical Sensor Ball Return​

In 1999, pool table manufacturer Diamond Billiards patented a ball separator mechanism that uses an optical sensor to recognize and separate the cue ball from the object balls. This method is really only found on their “Smart Table” models. Without getting too technical, here’s how it works:

As the balls travel through the ball separator, the optical sensor measures the “optical density” of each ball’s surface. The white cue ball has less optical density than the colored and numbered object balls, so it triggers the sensor, which in turn activates a mechanical ball shunt, diverting the cue ball to a separate track.

But it seems not just any cue ball will work on a smart table... it has to have this particular finish? I don't know. Either way, it's a very good looking cue ball and will probably play just like an SAP ball based on what the Manning ad says.
Not sure of the specifics on the technology and what makes a cue ball compatible but I know the blue dot measle ball is exactly the same as the red dot measle ball except for the Diamond/Aramith log and of course the blue dots. FWIW, don't go by the 6 oz. weight spec listed in the specs on Manning's site. This is a generaized spec. Pool balls should be spec'd in grams. 6 oz. = 170 grams but I would wager these are weighing in at 168-169 grams which is what the object balls generally weigh.

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Look, I simply posted my experience thus far with the blue Aramith cueball, albeit limited to 3 days. No, I did not weigh it - I thought my post was pretty clear that it's based on preliminary usage. I shoot with the red measle Aramith exclusively at home and in my opinion they're not the same. The end.

If your experience was different, post up. Don't see why disparaging comments a little further down, based on marketing info and whatnot is necessary. Someone else pointed out that the finish on the ball seems slicker, as well, and I concur to the extent that it seems different. But I'm sure this is at odds with your deductive reasoning as well. That's fine. Start a separate thread.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, I simply posted my experience thus far with the blue Aramith cueball, albeit limited to 3 days. No, I did not weigh it - I thought my post was pretty clear that it's based on preliminary usage. I shoot with the red measle Aramith exclusively at home and in my opinion they're not the same. The end.

If your experience was different, post up. Don't see why disparaging comments a little further down, based on marketing info and whatnot is necessary. Someone else pointed out that the finish on the ball seems slicker, as well, and I concur to the extent that it seems different. But I'm sure this is at odds with your deductive reasoning as well. That's fine. Start a separate thread.
Not sure why you're so upset...LOL. I simply asked you why you thought they were junk and if you weighed it. Weight is a big factor in how the cue ball plays. Just having a conversation, man. Don't be so thin skinned.

mrpiper

Registered
Well here is your friendly neighborhood Cheapskate Collector with his latest find. I haven't yet seen this set on the thread... Dynaspheres Tungsten
The internet ad said "Brand New"
The seal on the box was broken.
The box was taped up with packing tape and had dirty greasy looking handprints on it.
I was very nervous but when I opened the box the balls were beautiful pristine new! $50.00 with free shipping!
I'm a happy customer LOL
20220221_183333.jpg
20220221_183356.jpg
20220221_183351.jpg
20220221_183421.jpg

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Well here is your friendly neighborhood Cheapskate Collector with his latest find. I haven't yet seen this set on the thread... Dynaspheres Tungsten
The internet ad said "Brand New"
The seal on the box was broken.
The box was taped up with packing tape and had dirty greasy looking handprints on it.
I was very nervous but when I opened the box the balls were beautiful pristine new! $50.00 with free shipping!
I'm a happy customer LOL
View attachment 630141View attachment 630142View attachment 630143View attachment 630145

There was a thread on here about a year ago when someone was selling lots of those on ebay. I bought a set and use is routinely. I think they are great balls, although I would prefer standard colors.

mrpiper

Registered
There was a thread on here about a year ago when someone was selling lots of those on ebay. I bought a set and use is routinely. I think they are great balls, although I would prefer standard colors.
This may be the same seller. They were on Ebay for $69.99 listed as NEW with an "Or Best Offer" option. I offered $50.00 and they shipped for free. It's interesting how people complain about the color. The odd colors are the very REASON I bought them! :) That, to me, is what pool ball collecting is about! Finding unusual and different sets that make the table more interesting or fun. These fit the bill for both, and my wife and daughter LOVE the colors. Both said they look like they are from the 1930's or 40's with an Art Deco vibe? Oh well... Happy Wife Happy Life!