Richard Black .... "Dilworth Billiards"

Rospaw1966

I have a cue signed "Dilworth Billiards by Richard Black" that i have a few questions about. From what i have read Dilworth Billiards was a old school fine private billiard halls in N.C that closed in 2015 after 38 yrs.
Was this a house cue made by Mr Black for D.B?
Has anyone seen one before?
App year?
Thoughts on value of the butt only? (had the shaft but for the life of me i can't find it. Missing 1/2 dozen cues after the move but will find them)
Simple cue with lite green Irish linen wrap, No points but pretty figurative wood. (pic coming) Thanks, Ros

Only two pics until i can resize the others.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.PNG
    IMG_2391.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2392.PNG
    IMG_2392.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue signed "Dilworth Billiards by Richard Black" that i have a few questions about. From what i have read Dilworth Billiards was a old school fine private billiard halls in N.C that closed in 2015 after 38 yrs.
Was this a house cue made by Mr Black for D.B?
Has anyone seen one before?
App year?
Thoughts on value of the butt only? (had the shaft but for the life of me i can't find it. Missing 1/2 dozen cues after the move but will find them)
Simple cue with lite green Irish linen wrap, No points but pretty figurative wood. (pic coming) Thanks, Ros

Only two pics until i can resize the others.
Most likely a cue to be sold by the poolroom or possibly made for the owner. Contact RB direct. He'll probably know the dates. https://blackcues.com/contact.shtml

Rospaw1966

Most likely a cue to be sold by the poolroom or possibly made for the owner. Contact RB direct. He'll probably know the dates. https://blackcues.com/contact.shtml
Thanks for the reply Garc, I hated to bother Mr Black until i had some AZ input. Most likely i will send it to him for a shaft if i don't buy one of those new fangdangled black shafts that TWANG when you stroke-em. lol
With it being a grey/black butt i think the carbon shaft might go well with it. I will still get a Mr Black WOOD shaft as well to put with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Garc, I hated to bother Mr Black until i had some AZ input. Most likely i will send it to him for a shaft if i don't buy one of those new fangdangled black shafts that TWANG when you stroke-em. lol
With it being a grey/black butt i think the carbon shaft might go well with it. I will still get a Mr Black WOOD shaft as well to put with it.
Just measure joint diameter and you won't have to send butt. All his shafts are interch. Just take a good pic too. Those you added are fine. Scott Gilmore may be doing this now. He's on the site under 'Repairs'. Don't know if RB is making just shafts anymore. SG does nice work. Need to call RB. Bob Owen in Wichita could make you a great shaft as well.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second the recommendation on Scott Gilmore. Refinished my Bushka. Played with some of his first cues. Difficult to tell the difference in hit from my Blacks. He is making me 4 House Cues and (complimentary because he liked her) one for my wife. Should have them in about 3 months.

Rospaw1966

Update from Mr, Black:
I made those cues in the eighties and early nineties. There were many made because the owner appreciated not having to send them in all the time for repairs. They usually only had one shaft, and were not normally dated.

Not much else I can tell you. I don’t keep up with resale prices.

Richard Black

richard@blackcues.com

Rospaw1966

Update from Mr, Black:
I made those cues in the eighties and early nineties. There were many made because the owner appreciated not having to send them in all the time for repairs. They usually only had one shaft, and were not normally dated.

Not much else I can tell you. I don’t keep up with resale prices.

Richard Black

richard@blackcues.com
Not a lot of info but am pleased he took the time to reply. Back to the AX folks ..... Have you seen one before? Worth spending a few hundred on a shaft? Guess at a value of a pretty plain Richard Black butt or with a shaft? Not going to hurt my feelings ..... owned it over 25yrs and had no idea it was a RB.

Story on how it was found ..... Wife and 17yr old daughter started going with me to local tourneys/shooting. Daughter wanted her own cue and wife followed suit. I have a couple dozen cues that they could pick from. Told the daughter i have a cue with a flower on it that you might like (Meucce rose) or some C/D series Mcdermotts. She likes the grey cue (RB) which i thought was a basic Joss which was fine with me. She says "can we get the writing off of it?" Me: WHAT WRITING?? And that it how this cue came out of a case after 25 yrs. I was in a biz that purchased items including cues and this must have come from one of my other stores.