Dumbest thing you’ve done in a match?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I was playing in a tournament and my opponent shooting a hard draw shot knocked the object ball off the table. The referee picked up the ball and put it on the spot.

I like an idiot walked over and picked up the cue ball. The referee said I'm sorry that's not a foul, but my opponent who happened to be Miz jumps up and yells "No but that is".

The worst part is, I didn't even need that ball in hand I could have got out from where the balls were and been on the hill. I ended up losing the set. But it was actually pretty funny it got a good laugh from the crowd.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To be different I'll share something my buddy did during a 9 ball tournament a couple of years ago.

7-8-9 on the table. The 9 ball was where you rack it and the cue ball was frozen to the back of it, hooking him from the 7. He couldn't make an easy kick because the 8 was blocking most of the kick lanes, about 6" from the cue ball.

In a moment of 'brilliance' he decided to shoot the 8 ball in illegally, so that it would spot up next to the 9 ball, creating a cluster his opponent would have to deal with. Unfortunately illegally balls pocketed in 9 ball don't spot up. That only applies on a push out when pocketing the 9 ball.

So his opponent grabbed the cue ball and tapped in the 7 and 9 for an easy win. I thought it was hilareous. My friend didn't find the humor at the moment but I'm sure he'll come around... :)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hill hill grand final - racked the 9 ball on the wing spot and gifted my opponent a golden break... Still haunts me.
Gotta slug them in that spot! Always slug the double hill rack-it’s in the rules, I’m sure of it!

J/K 😂

Great story. Actually I’ve never seen that one.

All the best,
Fatboy😃😃

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of hard to do, given the 9B is supposed to be in center of rack?
I have seen it done quite a few times including a match with Neils Feijen I'm pretty sure. The 9 went in and then they figured it all out with the help of replay IIRC

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen it done quite a few times including a match with Neils Feijen I'm pretty sure. The 9 went in and then they figured it all out with the help of replay IIRC

I've seen it done also, but an invalid rack would make that an invalid game, should be a re-rack.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YEARS ago we were playing partners 1p. One game was taking forever so we took a short break. Me and my pahdner went out for a little 'tune up' and when we came back in i was SOOOO high i shot the other guy's case ball straight into their pocket. We laughed about that for days. Luckily the bet wasn't real big otherwise it would have been really brutal. ;)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen it done also, but an invalid rack would make that an invalid game, should be a re-rack.
Yes-Every time it was discovered, that's what happened but i saw it during a gambling match and trust me I couldn't say a thing and the guy put the game on the wire without a peep from his clueless opponent.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
In an 8-ball league match, local rules said that after a scratch the referee (someone from one of the two teams) had to pick the ball out of the ball return tray, but it was inconsistently enforced.

So the other guy scratches, leaving me a simple win. (And I'd had to work *hard* to turn a losing rack into a winner, it would have been a great win.) I look at the referee (one of their team's players) for a second to see if he's going to get the ball, he's completely still, showing no intention to move, so I go get the cue ball.

The referee calls a foul, of course, and the other guy runs the table.

That one hurt for a while.

dquarasr

Registered
In an 8-ball league match, local rules said that after a scratch the referee (someone from one of the two teams) had to pick the ball out of the ball return tray, but it was inconsistently enforced.

So the other guy scratches, leaving me a simple win. (And I'd had to work *hard* to turn a losing rack into a winner, it would have been a great win.) I look at the referee (one of their team's players) for a second to see if he's going to get the ball, he's completely still, showing no intention to move, so I go get the cue ball.

The referee calls a foul, of course, and the other guy runs the table.

That one hurt for a while.
Ouch. Bet you never ignored that rule again. The referee was definitely unsportsmanlike and should have been reported to the LO. Oh, wait, the LO was the other team’s captain, right? 😝

Guy Manges

Registered
I was playing in a regional nine ball tournament in about 2002 and, after a missed two-way bank shot, I left my opponent snookered behind the nine and he had to kick at the seven which was just an inch or so from the corner pocket. For a moment, I got distracted and didn't watch while he tried the kick shot. When I looked back, the seven was still there, so I assumed he'd missed the kick. I grabbed the cue ball, assuming he'd fouled, but he told me he'd made a good hit, shaving the very edge of the seven to move it a fraction of an inch. I then realized he was right, the seven had moved ever so slightly from the position as I remembered it, so by picking up the cue ball, I had fouled. The stupid mistake of not paying sufficient attention cost me the match.
Yes, And our mind starts to work on us and the rest of the set can go away... I know that I have defied some gravity myself... We must have a quadrillion stories of mistakes... Guy

Reactions: sjm

Guy Manges

Registered
Remarkably, the same thing happened to Jose Parica in the 2013 US Open 8-ball event in a match against his close friend Lee Van Corteza. He didn't notice that he'd made the eight on the break (which had to be spotted under the rules in use) until it was too late.

At least you're in good company!
Yes you've got a good memory , I am a fan of both and I think that I remember that... Guy

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I once broke the balls in a 9-ball tournament and made the 1. I got my playing cue, surveyed the table figuring out what shape I needed on the 3 when I shot the 2, then got down to shoot the 2. Right then I heard someone in the stands cough loudly, and in the middle of their cough they said "1 ball." I stood up and looked around the table and sure enough the 1 ball was still on the table. Turns out I had made the 5 on the break instead of the 1. The person in the stands who coughed was my friend, by the way, and my opponent was royally pissed off.

Last edited:

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Dumpest thing i've done and it was years ago........My opponent scratches and he brings the cueball out being a nice guy then he put it in the table. I went there and right next to it is the three ball. Instead of picking the cueball I have picked the 3ball without looking, I went to the other side of the table to place the three ball thinking it is the cueball and I still didn't realize it. I put it down and then realized it and my opponent see's it and laughed. We both laughed, then I put the 3ball down the hole and gave my opponent cueball in hand :)