Dumbest thing you’ve done in a match?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was playing in a regional nine ball tournament in about 2002 and, after a missed two-way bank shot, I left my opponent snookered behind the nine and he had to kick at the seven which was just an inch or so from the corner pocket. For a moment, I got distracted and didn't watch while he tried the kick shot. When I looked back, the seven was still there, so I assumed he'd missed the kick. I grabbed the cue ball, assuming he'd fouled, but he told me he'd made a good hit, shaving the very edge of the seven to move it a fraction of an inch. I then realized he was right, the seven had moved ever so slightly from the position as I remembered it, so by picking up the cue ball, I had fouled. The stupid mistake of not paying sufficient attention cost me the match.

Seaspook

Has-Been
How about most recent…. Tuesday I called my 92 year old tournament opponent wearing white knee high compression sox “OLD”.

I did not know he was a state champion and high roller back in the day. In four games I got to the table twice and only made three balls, afterwards he laughed and said he was not that old.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing that comes to mind happened last night. I was playing cheap one pocket against a local champion. Early in the game I took a couple of intentional fouls since I was in trap after trap. A few minutes later, after my opponent made a few balls, he asked when he had fouled? Apparently I had been putting my coins on his pocket. We got a chuckle out of it and he promptly moved them where they belonged.

TrxR

I broke ran all my balls I believe I was high balls , when I went to shoot the 8 it wasn't on the table. We found it burried in the bottom of side pocket if I remember right. Neither me or my opponent noticed it being gone and think it went in off the break.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opponent did this stupid thing in the semis of a local tournament last weekend against me. I played safe and positioned the cueball for a 1-9 combo. I didn't include the other balls on the table, but his kicking angle was cut off. He determined that he couldn't reliably make a good hit on the one ball so he decided to hammer the 8 ball into the 1/9 and force me to run out. He whiffed the 1/9 badly and I got BIH on the easy combo. :)
American-style_pool_table_diagram_(empty).jpg

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opponent did this stupid thing in the semis of a local tournament last weekend against me. I played safe and positioned the cueball for a 1-9 combo. I didn't include the other balls on the table, but his kicking angle was cut off. He determined that he couldn't reliably make a good hit on the one ball so he decided to hammer the 8 ball into the 1/9 and force me to run out. He whiffed the 1/9 badly and I got BIH on the easy combo. :)View attachment 645638

I don’t know that I would call that stupid. It looks like a reasonable option given the circumstances. He just didn’t execute it well…

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know that I would call that stupid. It looks like a reasonable a reasonable option given the circumstances. He just didn’t execute it well…
I agree. It's exactly what I would have done. He's a 640 fargo and one stroked it. I thought it was pretty stupid of him. :)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I once broke on the hill in a 9-ball tournament and while the balls were rolling around saw the 1-9 line up for a dead combination. I was so fixated on shooting the combination that it didn't even register with me that the 5 ball had rolled in front of the 1. I shot the 5-1-9 combination and thought I had won the match. My opponent jumped up out of his chair, spotted the 9, and grabbed the cue ball. Only then did I realize what I had done. Massive brain fart.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I got this. 10-ball match for $100. We are hill- hill my opponent gives me ball in hand.
The only 2 balls on the table are 9 and 10. I put the ball down and shoot the 10, thus losing the match.
At that moment, for some reason I thought we were playing 9-ball, so naturally the other ball had to be lower value than 9.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I got this. 10-ball match for $100. We are hill- hill my opponent gives me ball in hand.
The only 2 balls on the table are 9 and 10. I put the ball down and shoot the 10, thus losing the match.
At that moment, for some reason I thought we were playing 9-ball, so naturally the other ball had to be lower value than 9.
Not me thankfully, but I know somebody who usually plays rotation. While playing in a rare eight-ball tournament, he called an early 8-ball combo, and made it… 😂

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that classic ball set that's so religiously espoused these days has a 6-ball that's dark green. that little fugger hid on the edge of a pocket, poorly lit room, green cloth of the same hue. i had broken and was running out, hill-hill, but didn't see the six being left on the table. loss. probably the dumbest thing i've done playing wise.

but i have a way with words too, and women. i think i made the black jack dealer girl a little sour last week while playing on the table next to where she was setting up. she used to be a semi pro so i asked why she wasn't playing pool anymore. i'm too old she said (~40 ish). i said "why, look at efren"...

if i had a dollar for every woman i've pissed off without malintent i'd be a rich man. luckily i found a girl many years ago that can take that kind of verbal abuse and still stick around.

BlueRaider

Registered
8 ball game. Mistook the 8 ball for the 2 ball, both were very dark. Fired that puppy right in.
I once spent a good 2-3 minutes eyeing up a razor thin cut on the 1 ball, only to whiff on it completely and pocket the 9 ball with a perfect and very loud stop shot on my first shot after the break. Looking back, it would actually have been a cool shot if I could have grazed even a millimeter of the 1 ball, but I missed it completely and it looked like I just emphatically made the 9 out of turn.