Gold Crown 1 Restoration (Amateur)

Navig8er

Please bear in mind this is my first billiards table ever...first time stripping and painting something, first time polishing aluminum, first time repairing a pool table of any kind. Many thanks to the thousands of forum posts on this site for sharing your knowledge and wisdom and of course "YouTube"! I know the work I've done over the last two weeks pales in comparison to some of the restorations I've seen on here but for the money and time I've put in combined with my complete lack of experience I think it is turning out quite well. Learned a lot and had some fun doing this, can't wait to shoot on it tomorrow evening!

Searched for a long time in the DFW area to find a gold crown 1, 2, 3 or 4 but the rare occasions they would be very high priced and honestly not look that good. I stumbled across this table and ended up buying it. The table was fully assembled in the upstairs and so I was able to shoot on it and to see if it was at least playable. It seemed to be in decent shape considering the asking price ($1,500) and so I purchased it for a $1,000. I hired local billiards service to do the disassembly and heavy lifting.

When I got it to my house I had arranged to have the billiards service come back out in a week to re-assemble, balance it and re-felt it. My goal was to simply clean up the old parts and pieces and address anything that might be busted. Well thanks to this forum, that turned into me stripping, sanding, polishing, painting, powder coating and refurbishing everything I could.

Situation: Previous owner bought it from a local pool hall and the rails and pockets had been modified to accommodate a smaller pocket. Formica had usual scuffs and wear along with the aluminum trim. Pocket castings were pretty rough and the pedestal feet were terrible. Someone had painted the ball storage rack, legs and stretcher black, the side aprons were stained and it looked like a pretty crappy job. The entire base frame assembly had been painted brown. The ball box trim, rail counters and nameplate were all covered in 50+ years of smegma!

Action: I stripped all of the wood parts. Discovered the original Brunswick AR 6100 sticker under the paint. The legs, ball storage rack and stretcher were all original white underneath and the aprons were tangerine. Repainted all of them white using the SW Urethane Enamel paint codes using an HVLP gun and a 2.0 tip (never painted anything before). For the base frame, after I sanded it down and repaired everything, it looked so good in raw wood I just hit it with some tung oil. Had to sand the aluminum trim to get the big scratches and nicks out, started at 220 and went to 3000 grit. Then I cut, buffed and polished with my handy Amazon buffing kit until it looked like chrome. Took all of the pock castings and feet to the powder coater and had them bead blasted then baked them at 375 using Prismatic Powder's "Super Chrome" base coat and finished it with "Clear Vision" (only $200). Had to fill in numerous blown out screw holes and bolt holes using toothpicks and wood glue. Ordered a all new hardware and got all of it in either stainless or yellow zinc coated. Repaired the legs the best I could with wood bondo, filler and a lot of sanding. They really needed to have the laminate wood replaced but I felt that was beyond my abilities. Ordered new drop pockets, various other small things from Classic Billiards.

Left to Do: Final assembly and new felt going down tomorrow morning. Need to order the nice Brunswick Decals for the side aprons, new model decal for the stretcher and a new nameplate from Classic Billiards. I would reuse my nameplate but I have no idea how to paint the inside of that pot metal. I tried an acrylic paint in a rose gold metallic but it wouldn't stick.

Here are the photos in the last owner's house when I first saw the table.

IMG_4868.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG
IMG_4876.JPG

Here are the progress photos to date.

Attachments

• IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 86

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Fantastic pics. Nice and large and clear.
Love the ash trays as corner castings.
The rails are stapled out, did you have any trouble reclothing them.
Keep us posted
Cheers

Navig8er

Lookin good! whats up with the white stuff all over the railcloths??

Lookin good! whats up with the white stuff all over the railcloths??

TFT
Well I started to remove the felt on the rails to clean them better but then felt I was over my head if I started breaking stuff. Then I realized that I hired a pro to recover them so I just left the old felt on. I used a orbital buffer and some cutting compound to polish out the scratches in the old formica then hit them with some wax. It made a huge difference in how they looked but obviously left residue on the old felt. That will be recovered today.

Navig8er

Wow, nice work! Do you plan to replace the sub-rails?
I am worried about the subrails and if they "need" to be replaced. They look pretty chewed up to me but that may be normal for an old table, not sure. That is definitely beyond my abilities. I would love to get those done and new formica but I have no idea who does that work and how expensive it would be. I am just hoping the billiard pros can recover everything today and I can play on it.

Navig8er

Fantastic pics. Nice and large and clear.
Love the ash trays as corner castings.
The rails are stapled out, did you have any trouble reclothing them.
Keep us posted
Che
They are coming to recover the rails and slate today after they get it level. Hopefully, they don't have issues.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Well I started to remove the felt on the rails to clean them better but then felt I was over my head if I started breaking stuff. Then I realized that I hired a pro to recover them so I just left the old felt on. I used a orbital buffer and some cutting compound to polish out the scratches in the old formica then hit them with some wax. It made a huge difference in how they looked but obviously left residue on the old felt. That will be recovered today.
Ahh, I wondered. Looking forward to your final pics.

TFT

Navig8er

I still searching for a set of plastic aprons, a ball return box and ball return cages. Also looking for a gold crown cue rack? Haven't seen anything posted anywhere but would love to add these items to my table and room. If anyone has eyes on these items please let me know...unless your expensive...then don't let me know...Im a retired Marine on a budget! :)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am worried about the subrails and if they "need" to be replaced. They look pretty chewed up to me but that may be normal for an old table, not sure. That is definitely beyond my abilities. I would love to get those done and new formica but I have no idea who does that work and how expensive it would be. I am just hoping the billiard pros can recover everything today and I can play on it.
Those subrails are pretty bad. I would give
Jack Zimmerman
‪(812) 756-2899‬8 1 2 7 5 6 2 8 9 9 • mobile a call. Its worth the investment. If you have guys coming today, that means you will spend money twice. None of the stuff you are asking about is "cheap". Good luck!

TFT

Navig8er

Those subrails are pretty bad. I would give
Jack Zimmerman
‪(812) 756-2899‬8 1 2 7 5 6 2 8 9 9 • mobile a call. Its worth the investment. If you have guys coming today, that means you will spend money twice. None of the stuff you are asking about is "cheap". Good luck!

TFT
Haha, ya I thought they looked pretty chewed up and I know you get what you pay for...I'll reach out to him just to see what the sticker shock is...thank you for the advice.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good! Where are you located? I think I have a lead on the plastic skirts here in SoCal. Who did you hire to setup your table? I agree with Trent, those subrails are in very bad shape. For frame of reference, these are the subrails on my Gold Crown I when I took it apart for transit shortly after I bought it.

48445501916_1048441ad3_h.jpg

I would address the rails before the table gets assembled.

Navig8er

Looking good! Where are you located? I think I have a lead on the plastic skirts here in SoCal. Who did you hire to setup your table? I agree with Trent, those subrails are in very bad shape. For frame of reference, these are the subrails on my Gold Crown I when I took it apart for transit shortly after I bought it.

48445501916_1048441ad3_h.jpg

I would address the rails before the table gets assembled.
Thanks, I live in Fort Worth, Texas. Yeah those look way better than mine. Honestly I didn't know if mine were bad or not since I hadn't seen what any rail looks like before. But now, comparing them to yours it is not good. Dallas Billiard Pros are handling the assembly, leveling and felt today at 1130. Hopefully they can make this work...

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I live in Fort Worth, Texas. Yeah those look way better than mine. Honestly I didn't know if mine were bad or not since I hadn't seen what any rail looks like before. But now, comparing them to yours it is not good. Dallas Billiard Pros are handling the assembly, leveling and felt today at 1130. Hopefully they can make this work...
I wouldn't let them do anything short of cutting off the rot and replacing it with new wood. Don't allow them to fill it with Bondo or the like. In fact, I'd call Jack Zimmerman and have a chat with him about it before your guys show up. You may come up with a game plan before they arrive. You are probably looking at $1,500-$2,000 to have the work done. Good news is you can tighten the pockets at the same time!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I wouldn't let them do anything short of cutting off the rot and replacing it with new wood. Don't allow them to fill it with Bondo or the like. In fact, I'd call Jack Zimmerman and have a chat with him about it before your guys show up. You may come up with a game plan before they arrive. You are probably looking at $1,500-$2,000 to have the work done. Good news is you can tighten the pockets at the same time!
I really really doubt they would do any of that onsite. I am thinkin they are going to use 3/8" staples and call it a day. From the sound of it, he is committed to getting it playin.... I agree with Rexus31, but, the call to Jack will likely be after they set the table up. Which is fine, he said he is retired and is likely on a tight budget. Something to look forward to in the future.

TFT

Navig8er