Best stroke fundamentals

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like anyone with some expertise and a good eye for stroke fundamentals who watches a significant amount of top-level pool, 3C and snooker to opine which group of the top generally have the best and most solid stroke fundamentals.

dquarasr

Registered
Not exactly what you asked but if you haven’t already seen this recent thread, you might enjoy it.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly what you asked but if you haven’t already seen this recent thread, you might enjoy it.

I did see it, but thanks.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, thanks, but not quite my question. I'm asking about the overall stroke quality of the top group of players in each discipline, not individuals.
could you explain alittle more exactly what you are asking?

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I get what your asking:
I would say, snooker has the most solid that I've seen. I watched a good 20 years. By solid I mean in all departments, most have no head movement,planted stance. And some of the straightest cue actions you will see.

Never watched much 3 cushion. So don't know.

Morden day pool.in recent years. The very best are similer to snooker.solid stance, no head movement. Straight cue action. Filler and gorst tick all those boxes. I'm sure there are a few more.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if cue alchemist is correct regarding your question
i agree snooker players as the most accurate cueists
carom players i think have the best and varied strokes as a group
as the different carom disciplines require different type of strokes as do certain shots
all/most billiard books have a section on the types of stroke and certain shots are described with not just hit on the second ball or english on the cue ball but the type of stroke to use

Guy Manges

Registered
I think I get what your asking:
I would say, snooker has the most solid that I've seen. I watched a good 20 years. By solid I mean in all departments, most have no head movement,planted stance. And some of the straightest cue actions you will see.

Never watched much 3 cushion. So don't know.

Morden day pool.in recent years. The very best are similer to snooker.solid stance, no head movement. Straight cue action. Filler and gorst tick all those boxes. I'm sure there are a few more.
Your wright about snooker players, Stroke wise... In my watching for many years the Chinese Joy players as a groupe have the best stroke fundamentals in pool... Guy

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I use the famous "Filipino" stroke. Self-taught, using this since I was 17 years old at my local teen rec center (1983).
I grip the cue very loosely with my fingers, and use some wrist action.
Choked up on the linen grip of my front-heavy, Joss/Schon cues. 18.8oz.
I "open" my stance like a snooker player.
I use both open and closed bridges as necessary.
Works for me, results may vary:cool:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if cue alchemist is correct regarding your question
i agree snooker players as the most accurate cueists
carom players i think have the best and varied strokes as a group
as the different carom disciplines require different type of strokes as do certain shots
all/most billiard books have a section on the types of stroke and certain shots are described with not just hit on the second ball or english on the cue ball but the type of stroke to use

Yup, @Cue Alchemist read it the way I intended. Thanks to him and all who responded. And I hope we get more opinions.