How do you compare two cues?

I have two nice production cues that I want to make an objective and maybe subjective comparison of. One is a Predator SP2/Revo and the other is a Mezz EC9 with the Ignite shaft. I like both, but if I want to make a "true" assessment of which cue is better (for me), what kind of drills/shots could I use to definitively gage this? Both shafts are ultra low deflection and I don't need to make any major adjustments if I switch from one to another.

The reason for my post is although the Mezz is better visually, I feel it sometimes doesn't "listen" to me. With the Revo; my gripe is that on stroke shots it doesn't feel as good as the Ignite which has a nice thumpy hit.

inb4 "The shaft tapers/diameters are different" I am quite comfortable playing with both shafts, although sometimes I do feel I have to be a bit more accurate with the Ignite which is 12.2mm in contrast with the Revo which is 12.9

Advice? Opinions?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very simple…….Do a comparison of the two cues using the same drills or set up shots.
Don’t just rely on a single day’s comparison playing with both cues. Do it over 3-4 days.

Some days you are going to feel and stroke different than the prior day, maybe better or not.
Personally, I have 7-8 drills I’ve used for decades. Notate on a chart your stats. How detailed
is totally up to you. You don’t need to do all your drills the same time day either. Ultimately,
you want to play a couple of racks of straight pool with no opponent either. This is the best.

Play 2 games of straight pool to 150 points with both cues. One game a day so that would
cover 4 days. This way every day’s comparison starts and ends the same way. Maybe give
yourself 15 mins of warm-up, or longer. The idea is to play pool the same way everyday. You
don’t want to play for an hour or longer and decide….OK, let me do one of the drills right now.

So in each game, keep stats and notes. How many innings should it take you? Guess before
you start. Don’t be surprised if you require more than you anticipated. How many times did
you average 0 balls, 1 ball, what’s your average balls per inning, how many break shots were
successful, bank shots attempted & bank shots completed, scratches, did you draw the ball
better with either cue, stop the ball better, shoot better long straight shots or cut shots, how
about follow shots, is deflection more apparent with either cue, what about controlling CB speed?
Easier, harder, more consistent, less consistent or in other words form a impression. Imagine you
we’re going to write a review of the cue for a billiard magazine. Show the readers what you know
and make it a fair comparison. After every rack, just rate your shot performance…..how many innings
were needed, highest run, missed shots( 0 run), BIH how many times & avg # balls in that inning.

Do it right and you likely know before you’ve completed the four game comparison which cue you
prefer and why. Do it wrong and you’ll still have a 50/50 chance of being right. What’s that saying?
Even a broken clock gets the time right twice a day. Actually, you can use any method you want to
decide but the only thing is to aim to be fair & objective which is hard to do since choosing is selective.

Last edited:

Guy Manges

Registered
Weights and Tips , all you need is a cue ball , Mark your shaft for consistency and the cue must become you... Work a heavy house cue in the middle and a cf shaft well, carbon fiber I don't know anything about... Guy , Your main problem is us members aren't you...

Last edited:

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I just shoot a racks of balls at all angles and englishes for about 15 minutes with one, then switch to the other. I can almost instantly tell which one I overall prefer after the switch. Do this once each day for a few days until a favorite emerges, starting each day with the you liked better from the previous day.
I own the revo 12.9mm btw, tried it for about 6 months, went back to my 12.9mm wood Vantage.
I now use the revo as my break cue shaft-- works great!

Last edited:
Play pool with each.

Which do you like better?

There’s always one. Whether you want to admit it or not, you know which one it is…
That’s a good one. The other day I was at league and practicing before we started, I just wasn’t feeling good with the Mezz, inspite of it having a slightly better feel when I practice alone. I switched over and maybe it was psychological but I broke and ran an 8ball rack that night. Felt great!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually set one on the right side and one on the left. 😉

What ever feels best wins

Best
Fatboy😃
I play 20 or so games with one cue then 20 with the other.
Whichever makes the 'Orange' ball the most is my Huckleberry.
Seriously though, I have 5 cues left now and I play comfortably with my R. Howard,
Dzuricky, and my E-Series McD Merry Widow.
Pechauer Naked Break cue and Black Ice shaft is unused and
Mali is my bar cue.
(I break with my player, even the ivory ferrule)!

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name them, call one "the Bar", the other "you".
You'll find that somedays "you" is preferred other
days "the bar". Kinda like the sayin';
"Somedays you et the bar and somedays the bar ets you"
There is no choise to be made one or the other will feel better
on a given day. Get to likein' both.

hank

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alternate sessions.
Sooner or later you will get into a zone with one of them ie. have a really good session.
Odds are that one will be your new favorite and that one will be the one that you get used to playing with.

WobblyStroke

That’s a good one. The other day I was at league and practicing before we started, I just wasn’t feeling good with the Mezz, inspite of it having a slightly better feel when I practice alone. I switched over and maybe it was psychological but I broke and ran an 8ball rack that night. Felt great!
Judging by your comment, break and runs are not common for you to the point that some nights you don't have any. The 12.9mm shaft may be a better choice just based on your level of play as the smaller the tip the more precise you need to be to maintain control of the CB (this is probably why it 'doesn't listen to you' sometimes).

I had a similar choice when returning to the game after a long absence and quickly figured out that I just wasn't good enough for my hay day gamer with 11.5mm tip. Played much better with a larger diameter shaft at first and once I shook enough of the rust off and got a precise stroke again I switched back over to my fave 11.5mm.

From your comments it sounds like Mezz is prettier, feels better on stroke shots, but revo is easier to play (listens to you more....as a larger tip will tend to do compared to smaller tip). Seems like you want the Mezz but just may not have your game/stroke to the level you need it in order to keep it under the same level of control as the revo. So, you have similar options to me when I came back to the game; either you shelf the preferred cue for one you can play with more effectively for a time as you sharpen your skills, OR just go with the nice feel and style points of the Mezz at the price of a few extra wayward shots a session. Either way, I'd be keeping both but if you can only keep one, decide if feel/stryle or performance right this moment matter more.

WobblyStroke

I don't, I just hit some balls with it, and get used to one.

This thread is analysis paralysis overdrive
Ye, nothing like getting used to one. One story from the favorite cue thread pops to mind where one guy played a super light cue that he hated at first and couldn't control but once he got used to it it became his favorite cue which he had excellent control/.results with. So by that logic, go with the looks and feel you prefer and trust you will adjust to it and play to a similar level. That said, this approach may be good for advanced players who can play whatever damn diameter they please but for even intermediate players let alone beginners, the bigger tip may be the....wait for it....tipping point. dad joke ftw.