What do you do when you're lost?

ldl01031

Missing a lot (relatively simple shots mainly, difficult ones seem to generate enough focus to take them down), and confidence is in the crapper. Negative self-talk is hard to banish (because... look at the simple run out you just blew [times 10]). Making 80% of the balls in a match but finding enough small ways to screw up that I lose the match. And on and on. This has been an issue for weeks now.

So, lack of focus, concentration, and confidence, and now it's affecting motivation as well. How do you get back on track?

soyale

something to think about might be trying to take care of yourself and the things that are going on in your life outside of pool. i’m in the process of that now myself. if you don’t feel good off the table it can be pretty difficult to feel good on the table. sometimes there is too much beyond your control and you cannot take care of everything—and in those times, as mentioned above, try to enjoy the journey and the mild peace you get from hitting balls rather than worrying about the outcome.

grain of salt, though, i can still only barely run the table on my best of days.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Two words. When over the ball....slow down. Not sit there and think about it. But when over the ball. Concentrate on target, cue ball and deliver you best positive stroke. The rest will take care of it's self.

ldl01031

something to think about might be trying to take care of yourself and the things that are going on in your life outside of pool. i’m in the process of that now myself. if you don’t feel good off the table it can be pretty difficult to feel good on the table. sometimes there is too much beyond your control and you cannot take care of everything—and in those times, as mentioned above, try to enjoy the journey and the mild peace you get from hitting balls rather than worrying about the outcome.

grain of salt, though, i can still only barely run the table on my best of days.
Good wisdom there. I had already made just such a list. It isn't long, but it has some critically important lifestyle changes I need to make. So far this year I've lost my mom, my stepdad, a nephew, and two best friends. And I almost died of covid. Maybe I just need to work on me, and "stop hating the results, start loving the journey."

Wow, a useful therapy session in less than an hour. Glad I asked :)

soyale

Good wisdom there. I had already made just such a list. It isn't long, but it has some critically important lifestyle changes I need to make. So far this year I've lost my mom, my stepdad, a nephew, and two best friends. And I almost died of covid. Maybe I just need to work on me, and "stop hating the results, start loving the journey."

Wow, a useful therapy session in less than an hour. Glad I asked :)
thats a hard year man. actual therapy can be a useful tool if you feel like you are dealing with it all on your own. I have an appointment tomorrow. grief is a hell of a thing especially if you aren’t eating or sleeping like you should. do what you can to take care of yourself. if you need or want somebody to talk to my pm is always open. that goes to any of you

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Using a med/hard cue tipped cue, spread out 10 balls on table and shoot in randomly using ONLY centerball axis (top/draw) English-- no left or right. Focus on each shot equally, making sure that when you do shoot, your "final eyes" are on the OBJECT ball.
Try to run out all 10 in any order, rinse/repeat until you're SVB again!
I find this method the most useful for "cleansing" my shooting.

ldl01031

Using a med/hard cue tipped cue, spread out 10 balls on table and shoot in randomly using ONLY centerball axis (top/draw) English-- no left or right. Focus on each shot equally, making sure that when you do shoot, your "final eyes" are on the OBJECT ball.
Try to run out all 10 in any order, rinse/repeat until you're SVB again!
I find this method the most useful for "cleansing" my shooting.
Thanks. I'm doing something almost identical at the moment. However, I will add a couple of your points (center ball only, only 10 balls). Should be fun!

ldl01031

thats a hard year man. actual therapy can be a useful tool if you feel like you are dealing with it all on your own. I have an appointment tomorrow. grief is a hell of a thing especially if you aren’t eating or sleeping like you should. do what you can to take care of yourself. if you need or want somebody to talk to my pm is always open. that goes to any of you
Thanks. Truly. It is just me and yep, it's tough. Tomorrow will be the first birthday of my life without my mom. Maybe playing so poorly earlier tonight is no mystery. Again, thanks.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Thanks. I'm doing something almost identical at the moment. However, I will add a couple of your points (center ball only, only 10 balls). Should be fun!
You're welcome!
Try to keep things simple and focus on the positives in your life!
Take care of yourself!:)

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
This might appear to be off base, but first consider that you are seeking your answer electronically rather than turning to someone in a pool hall.

Everyone has gone through what you are experiencing. Take a break, sweat some action, learn or practice a new or different skill -- banking, combinations, caroms, kicking, learning to shoot left-handed -- anything but running. The foregoing skills are all part of a complete player's repertoire as is the innate confidence which will accompany their acquisition.

Do not try to force things. Wait for opportunity to evolve. We are predisposed to believe pool is all about pocketing balls, but experience will teach that pool is so much more. There are times to run and times to hide. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to learn pool's basic lessons.

Pool halls, our schools of pool in which we learned so many of pool's and life's essential moves, are endangered. Some people enjoy condemning pool hall/hustling culture. However, the pool hall environment did produce incredibly talented players whose games and personalities have been proven second to none. We lesser players were also greatly benefited. League and tournament play may well be pool's saviors, but the faces and places of pool's glory days emanate from the pool halls of the past.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missing a lot (relatively simple shots mainly, difficult ones seem to generate enough focus to take them down), and confidence is in the crapper. Negative self-talk is hard to banish (because... look at the simple run out you just blew [times 10]). Making 80% of the balls in a match but finding enough small ways to screw up that I lose the match. And on and on. This has been an issue for weeks now.

So, lack of focus, concentration, and confidence, and now it's affecting motivation as well. How do you get back on track?
Usually fundamentals.
Possibly a slight twist of the wrist or coming out of the shot almost imperceptibly is enough to be off.
Think about pocketing the ball instead of worrying about missing the ball.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its obvious that your problem is mental. Take a break for a week or two to decompress.

I'd be willing to bet when you are down on the shots that you are missing, you are thinking about the last time you missed a similar shot and what might happen in the near future. You MUST be thinking in the present.... not the past or the future.

It may sound odd, but I am 100% sure you will improve your mindset by listening to self hypnosis recordings. But you HAVE TO decide right from the beginning that you will free yourself of doubt. Remove all thoughts from your head. Relax in your recliner. Put on the headphones to remove all distractions. Immerse yourself into the words.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the results. You have to listen to them many times. In a week you will be more relaxed at the table then you have ever been in your life!

Some people find hypnosis to be a bunch of hooey. But I assure you it will help. The human mind is a powerful tool, or a powerful roadblock. I think yours is at a barricade at the moment.

Try it. What do you have to loose? I can reccomend where to start if you like. PM me

Zerksies

Never talk negative about yourself, Way to many things that happen with that. It starts a downward spiral. It could be a whole topic within itself.

But whenever I miss a shot, I like to think about what went wrong to make me miss. Either bad fundamental, not looking at the right spot on the ball or just a poor plan.

I find people think their fundamentals are 100% solid and blame their aiming system. I find it the opposite way.

I have self motivation to constantly improve, So i push through it and buckle down.