Colleges in the US that have an active pool team/community?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a list from a few years ago:

All of the colleges with billiards teams are listed below. There are also quite a few schools with billiards physical education programs.

Babson College,
Boston University,
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,
Cornell University, (which you already know about)
Emory Billiards,
Idaho State University,
Illinois State University,
Iowa State,
John Hopkins University,
Northern Michigan University,
Northeastern University,
Penn State University,
Penn State-Harrisburg,
Purdue University,
Roanoke College,
Shippensburg University,
Texas A & M,
Texas Tech,
University of Central Florida,
University of Dayton,
University of Houston,
University of Iowa,
University of Michigan,
University of Texas,
University of Texas-Arlington,
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater,
USF-St. Petersburg,
Washington College

Arnaldo ~ Highly annoying know-it-all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Anyone know of colleges in the USA that have an active pool team/community?

I'm from Cornell University, we have one.
Ithaca College has had streaks of billiard clubs.
See if you recognize some of these Cornell tables that I've recovered:

Before
2936.jpg2931.jpg2935.jpg2932.jpg

After
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florida State's squad unfortunately collapsed in the early 90's due to gambling and recreational drug use. Good times.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

University pool rooms have been declining for the last 40–50 years. when I was in college back in the late 1970s the ACUI collegiate tournament was still thriving, playing 14.1. You had to win your regional competition to make it to the a ACUI nationals.

I played in regional events at both UT in Knoxville and Virginia Tech in Blacksburg – both had very impressive pool rooms which I’m guessing may no longer even be in existence. Just under 20 years ago my son played at the BCA junior nationals at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, another very impressive pool room that is no longer.

I’m wondering if the ACUI collegiate nationals even still exists for pool, if anyone knows? For a few years we had a university pool club that would meet at our pool room once a week. Unfortunately, for most of the members it was just a social focus, and very few of them really even cared to try to improve their games. After the student that got it started graduated, the club quickly died out for lack of interest.

Majik89d

Registered
University pool rooms have been declining for the last 40–50 years. when I was in college back in the late 1970s the ACUI collegiate tournament was still thriving, playing 14.1. You had to win your regional competition to make it to the a ACUI nationals.

I played in regional events at both UT in Knoxville and Virginia Tech in Blacksburg – both had very impressive pool rooms which I’m guessing may no longer even be in existence. Just under 20 years ago my son played at the BCA junior nationals at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, another very impressive pool room that is no longer.

I’m wondering if the ACUI collegiate nationals even still exists for pool, if anyone knows? For a few years we had a university pool club that would meet at our pool room once a week. Unfortunately, for most of the members it was just a social focus, and very few of them really even cared to try to improve their games. After the student that got it started graduated, the club quickly died out for lack of interest.
I shot on the Virginia Tech Billiards Team from '07-'11, and we would also make the trek up to the University of Michigan for the ACUI UMTPC event. Still one of the prettiest pool halls I've ever been in, so sad it's gone.

The Pool Hall at Virginia Tech is still there as far as I know, 13 Gold Crowns, 1 Diamond and a 12 ft Snooker Table. The Billiards Club that fed into the ACUI events just needs revamping I'm sure.

CanadianGuy

a thriving college billiard scene sounds awesome

the university i attended had a single bar table in the pub that had action from time to time and also an actual pool room in its "mall section"

that was likely the closest thing to a pool scene in all of Canada and it still sucked

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot on the Virginia Tech Billiards Team from '07-'11, and we would also make the trek up to the University of Michigan for the ACUI UMTPC event. Still one of the prettiest pool halls I've ever been in, so sad it's gone.

The Pool Hall at Virginia Tech is still there as far as I know, 13 Gold Crowns, 1 Diamond and a 12 ft Snooker Table. The Billiards Club that fed into the ACUI events just needs revamping I'm sure.
I was wondering about VA tech.

Acui champ max eberle was JMU....fwiw.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Northwestern University, Evanston, IL & I.I.T. both had Student Unions with tables, but no teams that I knew of when I filmed them.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The University of Akron, Ohio, has a chapter of The College Billiards Tour Association. It meets every Wednesday,7-11PM in the Barry Lefkowitz Billiard Parlor. Thirteen tables.

classicjay17

Registered
I was in the University of Pittsburgh Billiards club from 2000-2005. Played the ACUI Regionals and came in 2nd two times just missing the nationals, though I know my game would not have been up to par at Nationals.

The Pitt Rec center in the student Union used to have 13 8’ tables (12 GC’s and 1 Gandy), a 10ft Snooker Table and a beautiful late 1800’s Brunswick 3 Cushion table from the old Schenley Hotel Pittsburgh. Sadly they got rid of most of the tables to make way for more Dance Dance Revolution machines and an area for a band and other things. I believe they only have 2 tables left and the room really isn’t a pool room anymore.

I was president of the Pitt Billiards club when I graduated (something that had been going for nearly 20 years) and the following year I assisted the new president in his request for funding (to cover renting out the room every Thursday night for our club night) to the student activities council…which was made up of students elected into the student government board. They casually pretended to listen to us at the meeting and then told us the student activities budget just couldn’t possibly find a couple thousand dollars to allocate (our yearly budget was just over $2k). We had the lowest total $ amount request of any of the student activities at the meeting, nearly all of which were granted other than ours…some of the crap that was approved was mind numbing…that was how the Pitt Billiards club died after 20 yrs. Most of the tables were gone a few years later.

Still makes me sad…but just a long winded way to say that University of Pittsburgh needs to be removed from that list.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in the University of Pittsburgh Billiards club from 2000-2005. Played the ACUI Regionals and came in 2nd two times just missing the nationals, though I know my game would not have been up to par at Nationals.

The Pitt Rec center in the student Union used to have 13 8’ tables (12 GC’s and 1 Gandy), a 10ft Snooker Table and a beautiful late 1800’s Brunswick 3 Cushion table from the old Schenley Hotel Pittsburgh. Sadly they got rid of most of the tables to make way for more Dance Dance Revolution machines and an area for a band and other things. I believe they only have 2 tables left and the room really isn’t a pool room anymore.

I was president of the Pitt Billiards club when I graduated (something that had been going for nearly 20 years) and the following year I assisted the new president in his request for funding (to cover renting out the room every Thursday night for our club night) to the student activities council…which was made up of students elected into the student government board. They casually pretended to listen to us at the meeting and then told us the student activities budget just couldn’t possibly find a couple thousand dollars to allocate (our yearly budget was just over $2k). We had the lowest total $ amount request of any of the student activities at the meeting, nearly all of which were granted other than ours…some of the crap that was approved was mind numbing…that was how the Pitt Billiards club died after 20 yrs. Most of the tables were gone a few years later.

Still makes me sad…but just a long winded way to say that University of Pittsburgh needs to be removed from that list.
this indeed is a sad story.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess Fatboy needs to broaden his cause: Make the damn 5rock ORANGE and make Pool in School Cool. ;)

Reactions: bbb

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I was the Billiards coach for MS&T in Rolla Missouri and was a part of the College Billiards Program that Mark Wilson started while he was at LindenWood. Here are the teams we had at the time we closed the doors due to many things 1 being covid. We also had schools trying to come on board and compete, I believe there was 8-10 and MIT being one of them, I only remember this because Mark joked about them using their wiztech gagetry trying to solve the pool in a lab.

Attachments

• USCB.PNG
    USCB.PNG
    242.7 KB · Views: 81