For anyone that thinks Bergman can’t play anymore

Guy Manges

Registered
I wonder if baseball hat and subconscious have anything to do with confidence? ... Guy, The young man is a good player and still has much respect...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean if you agree to play all ball fouls then that's technically a foul, right? I don't think a foul is the same as someone conceding the last ball in the rack...entirely different situations I'd say so not really a comparison there.
Course not but it's an aesthetic thing in a string. AFAIC, he got out 21, 22 times in a row. Guiness BOWR may see different.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha-some folks been yapping in other threads about how he’s washed up-and yes, that’s why I shared it so folks would know-thx
Washed up no.

Afraid to travel to gamble or play events...yes.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because none are coming to play him and he is not traveling. Pretty simple. Justin has said many times that anyone can come play him in the St Louis area and bet big. People used to deify Dave Matlock who never left the Midwest but would play anyone, and now people crap on Justin for not traveling. I would like to see him get back out, but the truth is that he makes more playing here than he would traveling to tournaments that pay $4k for fourth place and still have to pay for travel and rooms.
Main reason(s) Matlock didn't travel much was he had a kid in PoncaCity and his stakehorses were all from the PoncaCity and Enid areas. They came to play Dave because he had BIG $$ behind him. IF you could win you'd win a ton. He played on the pro tour quite a bit but the big action was back home.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't think anyone thought he couldn't play anymore. We know he is still a top player in the US, but he doesn't like traveling, that's the only issue.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why should he expect anyone to travel to him when he won’t travel to them?
I don't know. If he's comfortable with the action he has, then he gots a gud job? I like the tough table in my house for dinner ethic though. :D US is geographically crazed anyway. Maybe I mean demographically. IDK...

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im sure Shaw would play him at his pool hall and then play again at Bergmans home room.
9ft Diamond 4" pockets $$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For discussion's sake, the commentator kept saying Bergman doesn't like the economics of traveling.
Top 64 make $1,750 or more at the US Open 9-ball. That's why the event sells out in ten seconds flat.

Allowing for the absence of Aranas, Orcullo, Gray, Dechaine, Ignacio, Chinakhov and Szolnocki, Justin Bergman would have been the 30th best player in the field based on Fargo rate. Similarly, he's just 9 Fargo points lower than Skyler Woodward, and Skyler has year to date earnings of $72,000 with $15,000 more guaranteed at the Mosconi.

Justin should like the economics of travel. I think it's the travel itself that he doesn't like. That's fine, for it's his decision and I'll respect any decision he makes. I wish him well no matter what path he takes.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Top 64 make $1,750 or more at the US Open 9-ball. That's why the event sells out in ten seconds flat.

Allowing for the absence of Aranas, Orcullo, Gray, Dechaine, Ignacio, Chinakhov and Szolnocki, Justin Bergman would have been the 30th best player in the field based on Fargo rate. Similarly, he's just 9 Fargo points lower than Skyler Woodward, and Skyler has year to date earnings of $72,000 with $15,000 more guaranteed at the Mosconi.

Justin should like the economics of travel. I think it's the travel itself that he doesn't like. That's fine, for it's his decision and I'll respect any decision he makes. I wish him well no matter what path he takes.
He is also playing with the big guns and not subpar players.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One that comes to mind is the legendary player from Ohio named George Rood.
I have heard his name for years, never saw him play. Lots of players don’t deliver, and accordingly their names aren’t as well known as the road players or tournament players.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The commentator (never got his name) also paraphrased JB as citing (in my words) the pay scale as a waste of time ie. having to cut into a field of full time fanatics who apparently play full time on pristine equipment, just to break even when he can play anyone at home on tough, worn in equipment for huge sums per engagement.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I can't understand some of the animosity here. Justin Bergman has been there, done that, on the big tourney trail. He decided to leave that scene.
Shouldn't that be his choice?

(edit) I really did enjoy watching his play on the big stage. But that's my loss...and still his choice.