Pocket Size

TrxR

From what I've heard from other events with the 4" corners the sides were 4.75" I wonder if these are the same?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5" is too tight for the sides. My table is 4.875". I wouldn't want to go tighter than that. 4.75", maybe.

49603456301_eb11f9090c_h.jpg

51509051949_daf4cd0f05_h.jpg

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not give the side pockets an extra ¼ inch of shelf, too; if you want the pockets to be hard ??

You could also make the rails ½" short on the long rails so the table does not play like a 2:1 rectangle, too.

I mean why stop at pocket sizes that people have used for a century ?? .......

I Mean:: Why not screw up everything as long as you are screwing up the pockets ?? .......

At least the table mechanics are getting paid....

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not give the side pockets an extra ¼ inch of shelf, too; if you want the pockets to be hard ??

You could also make the rails ½" short on the long rails so the table does not play like a 2:1 rectangle, too.

I mean why stop at pocket sizes that people have used for a century ?? .......

I Mean:: Why not screw up everything as long as you are screwing up the pockets ?? .......

At least the table mechanics are getting paid....
Who says the pockets are "screwed up"?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Class pool players should play on tough equipment. 4" corners are perfect. I think the sides should be a hair bigger though.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've got 4.75" sides and it can be a bear lol. Rewarding but demanding at the same time.

Also, had a new top reworked at 4.125" but kept the sides 4.75" because 4.5" sides have gotta be insane from what I've seen on Dazn.

JCL

Who says the pockets are "screwed up"?
The pockets are horrible not because the size, but because in order to do it they just add more facings instead of extending the sub rail, just watch the reaction of the ball when hitting the corners of the pockets. When Shane hit I think the 8 ball in the last game, playing doubles with styer(score was like 2-2 or 3-2, something like that), the pocket instead of rejecting the ball, swallowed, that means playing dead.

Last edited:

phreaticus

The pockets are horrible not because the size, but because in order to do it they just add more facings instead of extending the sub rail, just watch the reaction of the ball when hitting the corners of the pockets. When Shane hit I think the 8 ball in the last game, playing doubles with styer(score was like 2-2 or 3-2, something like that), the pocket instead of rejecting the ball, swallowed, that means playing dead.
Not sure about that. Who knows, but its hard to believe tables for this premiere event would be using improperly extended rails, using just shims or extra facing materials, etc.

Aside from the very tight 4.0” corner and 4.5” side mouths, the corner throats looked super tight from the overhead camera views on DAZN. Tight pockets with that aggressive of pocket facing angles really seemed to create much more rattle factor than we normally see at pro events.