Pocket Size

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you tell? Most of that could be wood and cushion with a 3/16” fiacing.
If you look closely at the cushion nose near the points, it changes (slopes in slightly) at least 1/4” to 3/8” from the point. If there was a 1/8” or a 3/16” pocket facing only, it would not look like that.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what exactly you mean by “jaws”.

The terms widely used are mouth for the table side tits opening and the smaller inner region is the throat. The “pocket sizes” bantered around in all these threads are the mouth sizes. The side pocket pic shown earlier in the thread has two 2.25” balls side by side perfectly touching the mouth edges = 4.5”.
But not at the diameters. That makes the pocket less than 4.5; up to two tenths less.

phreaticus

But not at the diameters. That makes the pocket less than 4.5; up to two tenths less.
First it was "jaws", now its "diameters"....? Not sure what you mean by that either, diameter isn't a clearly defined point in the rail/pocket or a term that I'm aware of in pocket size/design discussions around here with table techs, etc. I think most of use the Dr. Dave TDF type of measurements for the key mouth, throat, and shelf depth variables. As discussed ad nauseum in numerous threads for years around here, the bigger factor on how pockets really behave is mouth-to-throat ratio (ie PFA angles). Cheers

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First it was "jaws", now its "radius"....? Not sure what you mean by that either, radius isn't a clearly defined point in the rail/pocket or a term that I'm aware of in pocket size/design discussions around here with table techs, etc. I think most of use the Dr. Dave TDF type of measurements for the key mouth, throat, and shelf depth variables. As discussed ad nauseum in numerous threads for years around here, the bigger factor on how pockets really behave is mouth-to-throat ratio (ie PFA angles). Cheers
The diameters of the balls.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
317726288_202372398835655_8273632365748606928_n.jpg

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets are horrible not because the size, but because in order to do it they just add more facings instead of extending the sub rail, just watch the reaction of the ball when hitting the corners of the pockets. When Shane hit I think the 8 ball in the last game, playing doubles with styer(score was like 2-2 or 3-2, something like that), the pocket instead of rejecting the ball, swallowed, that means playing dead.
Interesting. I had my pockets tightened with thicker facings, and noticed afterwords that the corners still played fairly easy, while the sides are now a bitch. This explains it.

phreaticus

The diameters of the balls.
Ok, yeah I get your point (sorry for goofing on diameter/radius in my last note, typed fast while at work). I think most folks know the balls contact the rails just above the balls actual diameter (midway point), but for practical measurements, visually checking out a pocket etc - I think most folks just measure tit to tit, and stuff 2 balls in the mouth as a quick ref. Anyway, they are bitching tight on these tables!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, yeah I get your point (sorry for goofing on diameter/radius in my last note, typed fast while at work). I think most folks know the balls contact the rails just above the balls actual diameter (midway point), but for practical measurements, visually checking out a pocket etc - I think most folks just measure tit to tit, and stuff 2 balls in the mouth as a quick ref. Anyway, they are bitching tight on these tables!
K. Now that we're on the right page, what I think is the facings should be squarer or even back cut a bit so you'd at least have a normal sized zone where the pocket can be hit.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I had my pockets tightened with thicker facings, and noticed afterwords that the corners still played fairly easy, while the sides are now a bitch. This explains it.
P.S. Especially re: side pocket break shots (14.1). The softer cushion rubber has more ‘give’ to it, and the tits will more likely let in a ball hit with a very hard stroke.