Mosconi cup

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too, but next year Europe might have Gorst which isn't good for us.
I would guess we will have three of our five players returning next year with hopefully two new players. It’s too much to ask of Oscar to have the time to compete / practice and stay at the level of these guys when he owns / operates one of the busiest pool rooms in the country - Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento.

Reactions: bbb

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess we will have three of our five players returning next year with hopefully two new players. It’s too much to ask of Oscar to have the time to compete / practice and stay at the level of these guys when he owns / operates one of the busiest pool rooms in the country - Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento.
Agreed - Shane Sky and Styer come back, then let two new guys come in. Cycle through the young guns until we find some who can handle the pressure and rise to the occasion.

This is a different kind of pressure than a tournament and we should not only be looking at high Fargo rated folks who play well in antiseptic tournament situations. We need tough guys, borderline arrogant, who thrive with a bunch of Euro douches yelling at them. It’s not just about having a pure stroke or a great resume.

BlueRaider

Registered
USA missed chances in 2018, 2020, 2021, and now 2022 to develop new talent. I don’t fault the Bergman pick in 2019 though he only won a single point in doubles. The Corey pick in 2020 was a headscratcher given his poor showing in 2018. And of course, the Earl/JJ spot in 2021 was a waste for the future of USA pool, as was Earl again in 2022.

Please Matchroom, no more Earl. And given that USA is always a major underdog, give the younger, lesser known players a chance. Styer came seemingly out of nowhere and has held his own. There are other guys like him out there.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait til next year when Fedor and Wiktor join Team Europe! Fun times ahead for USA 😎

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Tyler Styer played that ball in hand on the 8-ball incorrectly imo.
NEVER use draw in a ball in hand situation, especially on tight pockets.
He should have shot it up table with a little follow. Much less likely to bobble, and easier to ROLL cue ball for shape.
Too many players-- even pros -- are guilty of this. The closest pocket isn't always the best pocket to pot your shot.
All pockets are in play-- you don't necessarily need to shoot your object ball into the closest one.
I teach my students this from day one.
Each of is plays the way we like to hit them. Some like to draw to position. Though I myself get better results toping through to position.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
He should have shot it up table with a little follow. Much less likely to bobble, and easier to ROLL cue ball for shape.
Too many players-- even pros -- are guilty of this. The closest pocket isn't always the best pocket to pot your shot.
All pockets are in play-- you don't necessarily need to shoot your object ball into the closest one.
I believe you are referring to the 8 ball on the final rack. Tyler didn't actually have ball in hand. He shot the 7 in the opposite corner and played successful position on the 8. But the resting location of the cue ball was easy like it was ball in hand. I think that's what people are saying.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re referring to the last game, it was not a ball-in-hand on the 8 ball. He had to make a good shot on the 6 and run into the 8, which was the only way he could get shape on the 7, and then he played good shape to the 8 ball. The draw shot on the 8 ball was the only logical path to get on the 9, and he just hit it a little wide in to the opposite facing and it rattled - pressure.

I’ve gained a new respect for Joshua Filler, as he handled the end of that match with complete class.

YukonCornelius

Registered
I bet next year will be a new ball game, as far as making it a point to play in the ranking tournaments. Never know who may crawl out from under a rock. And I mean that in a positive way.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USA missed chances in 2018, 2020, 2021, and now 2022 to develop new talent. I don’t fault the Bergman pick in 2019 though he only won a single point in doubles. The Corey pick in 2020 was a headscratcher given his poor showing in 2018. And of course, the Earl/JJ spot in 2021 was a waste for the future of USA pool, as was Earl again in 2022.

Please Matchroom, no more Earl. And given that USA is always a major underdog, give the younger, lesser known players a chance. Styer came seemingly out of nowhere and has held his own. There are other guys like him out there.
So which 2 or 3 players are you nominating to play against Europe's world champions at home next year?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which 2 or 3 players are you nominating to play against Europe's world champions at home next year?
Honestly, we all know we don’t have the additional players right now that are going to make a significant difference. There’s a few up-and-coming juniors, but they are still a number of years away, and that’s only if they continue to develop and figure out a way to make a decent living playing pool as opposed to putting their efforts into something more lucrative.

Still, fact is the Mosconi Cup is set up so that anything can happen. We have players that have enough talent and skill to pull off enough upsets in the short race format, but do we have 5 players that can deal with the MC pressure on the big stage? That only comes with having been there and succeeded, and as of right now we only have 2, and they both lost today when we really needed them.

Last edited:

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
My apologies, Tyler didn't have ball in hand, I was misinformed.
He still hit the ball too hard-- kinda poked at it lol.
I see so many people miss that angle/draw shot though, not an ideal place to be before the 9.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly, we all know we don’t have the additional players right now that are going to make a significant difference. There’s a few up-and-coming juniors, but they are still a number of years away, and that’s only if they continue to develop and figure out a way to make a decent living playing pool as opposed to putting their efforts into something more lucrative.

Still, fact is the Mosconi Cup is set up so that anything can happen. We have players that have enough talent and skill to pull off enough upsets in the short race format, but do we have 5 players that can deal with the MC pressure on the big stage? That only comes with having been there and succeeded, and as of right now we only have 2, and they both lost today when we really needed them.
If I were choosing players I would include a couple of veterans who have been battling in the trenches for years. These guys are warriors who fear no one. Give me Tony Chohan and Josh Roberts for instance. They will get some points for you. And they can handle any kind of pressure. But what do I know? 😜

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies, Tyler didn't have ball in hand, I was misinformed.
He still hit the ball too hard-- kinda poked at it lol.
I see so many people miss that angle/draw shot though, not an ideal place to be before the 9.
It was nearly straight in, but it was a slight enough angle in that he had to guard against the cue ball either going in the side pocket or coming off the side pocket point, which could have messed up his position for the 9 ball. I’m thinking that is most likely what distracted him just enough to miss.

How many of us have done something just like that or worse a thousand times, in a key situation under pressure that would not begin to compare with the pressure Tyler was feeling?

Last edited:

something_pool

Registered
I honestly don't know what incentive I, as a USA fan, have to continue watching the Mosconi Cup in the future. It's amazing that the US did as well as they did this year. But picking Earl and Oscar to be on this year's team is like a slap in the face to anyone who wants to watch a cup where the US has even a shred of a chance to win. I think I might be tuning out in the future.