John Morra vs Tyler Styer race to 30 livestream

WobblyStroke

Well I was one of the guys saying make Mosconi Cup N.Am vs EUR so Morra and Alex can play instead of Styer-types and seniors. This tight race making me reconsider what kind of upgrade that would be if any (for Morra, not Alex....Alex is king).

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I like Morra and he has my respect. He was very young when I first met him. He’s grown into a hell of a player. And then switched sides. Wow!
Tyler is grinding but sounds like the next Billy Thorpe. Morra following the traditional pool player life path.

Cord

I tuned in to the stream at, I think, something like 15-10 Styer. What a match.

Morra won, 30-28. Neither player has any "give-up" in them. They played for 8-ish hours, with just a few fairly short breaks. Just a helluva lot of fun to watch.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't watch the match, but I skipped through it to see how the scoring progressed:

Morra led after 16 of the 58 games (including the first 13), Styer led after 38 of the games, and they were tied 4 times (at 7, 26, 27, and 28).

Morra's biggest lead was 4 games at 4-0. Styer's biggest lead was 6 games at 9-15 and 15-21.

Styer led all the way from 7-8 to 25-26.

There were 7 winning streaks (games won in a row) larger than 2 -- for Morra a 5, two 4s , and a 3 to end it; for Styer a 6, a 5, and a 4.

The length of the recording between the lag and the final ball was about 9 hours 25½ minutes. That would be an average of nearly 9.8 minutes per game, a really slow pace of play. The prior post indicates that they had no lengthy timeouts.

Last edited:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The length of the recording between the lag and the final ball was about 9 hours 25½ minutes. That would be an average of nearly 9.8 minutes per game, a really slow pace of play. The prior post indicates that they had no lengthy timeouts.

I watched large portions of the match. For the most part, they played quickly, but every game or two there seemed to be one shot that one of the players (and both did this multiple times) would hem and haw and measure and rethink and get up and get down and get up and walk around, etc, etc. The last rack was particularly brutal where there were two shots that happened near the end (Styer on the 8 and Morra on the 10) for really long periods of time. The announcers joked that this match wasn't using a shot clock, but rather a shot calendar.

I think a 30-sec shot clock is often too restrictive at times, but open-ended can be painful as well. There needs to be a happy medium.

Congrats to Morra! Well-fought and well-deserved victory.