Dead Links: WPA World Pyramid Pool Championship

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

I am getting into Russian pyramid and plan to make a trip to a Russian billiard table to practice carom or kiss shots.

Wikipedia is showing past links have died for some champions. Is this being maintained by a US or non-US person?

Search for Semyon Zaitsev shows many people of same name.

Search for "Semyon Zaitsev billiards" makes a singular reference to Semyon only mentions him as a champion, the article is about the second place finisher.
https://mincom.gov.az/en/view/news/685/dpc-employee-became-worlds-second-in-billiards-
1672288929626.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am getting into Russian pyramid and plan to make a trip to a Russian billiard table to practice carom or kiss shots.

Wikipedia is showing past links have died for some champions. Is this being maintained by a US or non-US person?

Search for Semyon Zaitsev shows many people of same name.

Search for "Semyon Zaitsev billiards" makes a singular reference to Semyon only mentions him as a champion, the article is about the second place finisher.
https://mincom.gov.az/en/view/news/685/dpc-employee-became-worlds-second-in-billiards-
View attachment 678133

when searching for russian names you may want to use the russian cyrillic alphabet. also since this game is played mainly in russia, using the russian wikipedia is probably a good idea.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you can enlighten us anyway. Seems they hit everything at double banger speed. Is there a finesse game at all? Evgeny Stalev (the only one I can name) seemed to have a disdain for aiming and pounded everything. :D Is that really the only way to squeeze the ball in?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you can enlighten us anyway. Seems they hit everything at double banger speed. Is there a finesse game at all? Evgeny Stalev (the only one I can name) seemed to have a disdain for aiming and pounded everything. :D Is that really the only way to squeeze the ball in?
Yes, you have to shoot hard, because pocket is only 2-6mm bigger than ball. If you shoot hard, the ball will go through pocket facing, enlarge the rubber and go in. The pyramid is loved because you can use all your force, it is somehow natural for human to shoot hard. Every new player in pool, shoot the balls too hard )

justnum

Silver Member
What information are you look for? I can help.
Pyramid is a nice game, but it has no future.

Which areas is Pyramid played, specifically city or towns?

If the WPA sanctioned those championships then there should be event details like locations and players.

What do you know about who makes Russian tables and balls?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you have to shoot hard, because pocket is only 2-6mm bigger than ball. If you shoot hard, the ball will go through pocket facing, enlarge the rubber and go in. The pyramid is loved because you can use all your force, it is somehow natural for human to shoot hard. Every new player in pool, shoot the balls too hard )
What kind of sticks and tips do they use?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which areas is Pyramid played, specifically city or towns?

If the WPA sanctioned those championships then there should be event details like locations and players.

What do you know about who makes Russian tables and balls?
Pyramid is played in countries of ex-USSR, every city of USSR have at least one club with pyramid tables.
WPA sanction is just a formality. Pyramid World championship are presented mainly in Russian mass media, but even there it is very poor presentation.
A good and updated site to inform about pyramid (but also pool and snooker) is www.llb.su

Best balls for Pyramid are made by Belgian Saluc (Aramith), same manufacturer as in pool.
Tables also are made by Dynamic, Longoni and other European brands, however ther is some Russian brands like - Start Factory.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of sticks and tips do they use
They use cue with length 158-164 cm (52-54 inch), cues usually are thinner at the butt, than a pool cue, but tip diameter is often 12-12,5mm, not bigger.
Mainly are used one piece tips, but everyone use what they like, all popular brands have their own fans.
The cues are not finished with lacquer, finish is similar to snooker cues, it's not shiny.

justnum

Silver Member
Pyramid is played in countries of ex-USSR, every city of USSR have at least one club with pyramid tables.
WPA sanction is just a formality. Pyramid World championship are presented mainly in Russian mass media, but even there it is very poor presentation.
A good and updated site to inform about pyramid (but also pool and snooker) is www.llb.su

Best balls for Pyramid are made by Belgian Saluc (Aramith), same manufacturer as in pool.
Tables also are made by Dynamic, Longoni and other European brands, however ther is some Russian brands like - Start Factory.

Thanks. I plan to do a table review of the local Russian tables in my area. Google translate does a great job for the link you provided.

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What information are you look for? I can help.
Pyramid is a nice game, but it has no future.
Any info on the origin of this game or when it was created? It looks to me like they just take a snooker table and make the pockets smaller.

I find it an interesting game that requires a different type of safety play than even 1pkt.
Definitely not a runout game. Although if there is a video of someone running out. I'd pay for that.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stalev also used that cue when he played the world straight pool tournament in 2014. long, thin with no ferrule.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any info on the origin of this game or when it was created? It looks to me like they just take a snooker table and make the pockets smaller.

I find it an interesting game that requires a different type of safety play than even 1pkt.
Definitely not a runout game. Although if there is a video of someone running out. I'd pay for that.
If we talk about free pyramid (game in wich you can use any ball as cueball) break &run or just runout are something usual.
For example, in the Final of Free Pyramid World Championship 2018, my countryman, Sergey Kryzhanovski, runout 5 games from 7, and won the final with score 7-0
2018 Final match of World Championship

In discipline called Moscow Pyramid (you have only one cueball, the red one), runout is not very often, but top player can show some skills.
In the link you will found a runout made by Vladislav Osminin in 2019.
2019 Empire Cup

About history of pyramid you can read Here and Here.

justnum

Silver Member
Pyramid is a fun game.
It has the tightest pockets and biggest balls.

The joy from pyramid is pocketing because it happens less frequently. There is more anticipation and drama because of the free pyramid offense.

Its a good game for developing patience. Its important pool players get out to visit different rooms with different equipment.

Now that Europe controls nineball its time for Americans to control pyramid.